Unlimited access >

Spring (Harness) Cleaning!

It’s that time of year already. The first show of the year is in mid-March, a mere weeks away, so I need to get the semi-annual cleaning/conditioning/sorting of the show harness going. I just got the “rebuilt” show harness back - all of the billets, wrap straps, tugs were replaced. We should have a year with no broken show harness!

There’s a new pair of wheels on order for the pony cart, which is also getting new shaft leathers. Frank Bradshaw’s fine harness buggy is in over haul; I don’t think that’s seen a show ring in 40 years. I looked at the road bike last weekend and wondered if I could just run it through a car wash.

All I need now is a couple bad movies and another bottle of wine.

7 Likes

Check any pneumatic tires for cracking, learn to read the manufacture date stamped on tires. Nice lady had her carriage gone over, fixed needed things. However no one checked tire dates because “they looked fine.” One tire went flat, started coming off in the show ring! Got her safely stopped, unhitched her Pair, carriage and equines out of the arena.

Upon examination later, tires were over 10yrs old, dry rotted sidewalls blew out without any noise.

Grease the hubs after removing wheel, cleaning bearings, wheel stubs. Clean old grease off the 5th wheel turntable if you have one, put on new grease. Check for wear on the kingpin, if you have a 5th wheel turntable. Also the bolt holding singletree/s in place. If there is any wear, replace the bolt with an EQUALLY hardened bolt. Cheap, soft bolts break and wear too easily.

Do you have brakes on the carriage? Fluid probably needs changing because the system is not air-tight, so moisture gets into the brake fluid. Most carriages use old car master cylinders which got rid of water-in-fluid just stopping car and heating up to steam off. Carriages never get brakes hot stopping, so water stays in fluid. Changing fluid is how you get moisture gone. Fluid SHOULD be clear tannish color. Anything opaque, coffee looking, has water in it. Get the PROPER brake fluid for your master cylinder. Older equipment probably uses type 3 and 4 hydroscopic, the older type fluid which absorbs moisture. The newer synthetic brake fluids type 5, are not supposed absorb moisture. Your local car parts store should be able to help you with this determination of needed type. Using the wrong type fluid will cause corrosion, deterioration of seals, O-rings, in the braking system.

There is a book by Dave Quist, available from Driving Digest, that covers carriage maintenance in great detail and other things you can do yourself.

2 Likes

I keep my power washer at the barn for this exact reason!

1 Like

The maintenance on these carts is pretty easy; there isn’t much to them. That the fine harness buggy needs new tires is a given.

I did pop a tire last fall. The track was newly cut and there were some wayward rocks & roots in it. Coming around a corner, the tire blew. It was a pretty impressive crack, since it was 5’ directly below my ears. I was driving the Amish pony, who flicked her ears a little, but was otherwise unfazed. My Hackney would have been in the next county (only a couple miles away).

1 Like

while in college I worked for a trainer, Dale Sloat, who started his career under the guidance of Frank and Garland Bradshaw. Dale had story after story about working under them.

As for using a car wash, I can not see an issue as we often had put the patent leather show harnesses in trash cans of heated water to get all the mud off. Never harmed any of the harness sets since these were cleaned nearly daily. Of the six horses under my care, four were shown under harness. I got to where I could completely harness a horse and hitch it a very minutes, but today at an advanced age haltering the yearling is best accomplished by his patience (with a look in his eye saying just give me that thing and I Will Put It On)

One horse I took care of (Sky Witch ) was shown as a roadster horse, she knew her job so well that after her driver fell out of the cart while trying to enter the show ring, she went in the ring alone doing the complete class including reversing without a driver, then lined up with the others at then end, judge said she would have won that class If she had a driver.

2 Likes

I miss those stories. We are now in the Disputanta barn Dale was in when he first moved to Virginia.

Yes, Dale and Sue were very good people who cared about others. That whole group of trainers in the Louisville area in the early 1970s were real characters that I will never forget.

for those who are just reading, here is Dale’s obituary from the Saddle Horse Report in 2019