Unlimited access >

Spryng--new option for arthritic joints. Anyone used?

My vet mentioned this a while back and thought it sounded promising: https://www.sprynghealth.com/equine-how-it-works

Anyone tried it yet? I’m considering letting my guy be a guinea pig bc we’re on “last resort” efforts to try to keep him comfortable with high and low ringbone. I don’t see safety issues coming up in the studies but curious if anyone has actual experience with it.

2 Likes

I saw an ad for it a month or so ago and asked my vet - he wasn’t familiar with it. I also asked a friend who’s a small animal vet and she asked her ortho surgeon. He said they’ve used it on 20 or so dogs with good results - more as treatment than preventative.

For what that anecdotal information is worth :grin:.

Thanks! That’s helpful. I’m going to talk to my vet about it. As long as we all feel it’s safe I’m willing to give it a go…my dude is just pasture sound now, so as long as he doesn’t have an adverse reaction I’m willing to chance it not doing much. He can’t have steroids so my options are limited.

2 Likes

Definitely report back on how it goes. Am always interested in having new tools in the toolbox!

Will do! I tried Arthramid and liked it, and this seems to have even more “oomph” for pain relief.

1 Like

I use Noltrex in several joints for mine, and have been really happy with the results. I’m interested to see experiences with this too. Reading through the basic fact sheets on the site, it almost sounds like there’s no rehab period after injection? There was a mention of the horse immediately resuming its prior activities.

Currently, with Noltrex there’s a period of a few weeks of “controlled exercise” to allow the product to set properly, so I time treatment so that it’s not in the middle of show season. If Spryng doesn’t have this rehab time afterwards (except I assume a couple days of rest as usual following joint injections) then it opens up another option.

I’m going to pass this info along to my vet so he can investigate further. Please keep us updated!

2 Likes

Truly fascinating. Wouldn’t mind something like that for myself, as well as my senior horse.

1 Like

Me too!
I recall HA used on horses back in the 80s, now a standard protocol for humans (raises hand :raised_hand:).

1 Like

I’ve never used it or heard of it, but I was interested, so I check out the website. It left me with more questions than answers. Seems pretty sketchy.

Why inject heparin into a joint? I have never heard of that and HA is the more commonly used carbohydrate for joint injection. Is the collagen equine derived? The one study referenced on the website showed tolerance (compared to saline) but said nothing at all about efficacy? It’s listed a a medical device vs a drug, BTDT with Polyglycan and at least the ingredients in that made sense.

There are so many proven alternatives to steroids, I’m not sure I’d bother with this.

2 Likes

Agreed that the lack of efficacy studies was weird. It is a newish product from what I can see. I haven’t priced it yet either, which would go into my calculus of whether it’s worth testing.

What other alternatives have you had work that aren’t steroids? I’ve gone the IRAP route and that was ok, but it was frankly underwhelming, especially given the ridiculous cost. Arthramid has been the best alternative I’ve tried so far.

I’ve not been prescribed any period of controlled rehab after Noltrex. I was told 3 days off, return to light work, full effect in about 3 weeks. From well respected vet clinic. I am however a pleasure rider only and do not jump, gallop or do difficult dressage exercises.

1 Like

Alpha 2, Noltrex (similar to Arthramid), Prostride, PRP, shockwave, Osphos/Tildren (either IV or via regional limb).

Edited to add: I’ve had the most success with first IRAP and Tildren and then Alpha 2 and Osphos in later years. And shockwave.

It’s in the literature for Noltrex, and I have the protocol sent to my vet directly from the company. It’s changed over the years to be less conservative than it was at first as they have learned more.

It’s possible that it wasn’t passed along to you because of your less strenuous riding, but the company says walk only for a week after those 2-3 days of rest, then another week of walk-trot, then ease back into work.

The original protocol was about 4-6 weeks of limited exercise and included time limits along with the restrictions on gaits (ie. it was 15-20 minutes once or twice per day to start). It also started with a week off with no exercise.

I’m currently in the slowest rehab ever as my horse brewed an abscess right when I was about to start back to work after Noltrex and has been off for a couple weeks!

1 Like

I found out my vet will be offering Spryng. Any follow up from those that have used it since topic first posted?

My vet and I are interested, but we can’t source it in Canada…sigh.