Unlimited access >

Stable three-step (or even four-step) mounting blocks

I am having a hip replacement in a few weeks and my biggest worry for afterwards when I’ve recovered is getting back on my horse. I have a two-step mounting block but I would like to buy something taller. The only three-step ones I’ve seen are narrow and tall, and unstable-looking. If it wobbles when I’m on it, I don’t want it. Does anyone make a very stable, wider-base three-step or taller mounting block?

Any chance you could have someone build one for you? There’s a wooden one at my barn and that thing is solid. Only downside is the same reason that makes it stable also makes moving it difficult.

7 Likes

We built one for DH to use post hip replacement. I love it! Let me know if you want pictures.

3 Likes

Yes I’d go custom built out of lumber. Have steps on both ends. Make it tall enough you can also use it to dismount if necesary. The equine therapy places have such things and there’s one in our local horse park. I think commercial mounting blocks are always plastic and not that stable.

When building a mounting block you can get stair risers premade at Home Depot which reduces the complexity of the job.

2 Likes

Have you tried Uline?
Here are some to check out:

https://www.uline.com/Grp_266/Ladders

This may work, on whichever size you need:

https://www.uline.com/BL_1439/Step-and-Store-Ladders

Or this one:

https://www.uline.com/BL_2636/Rear-Exit-Work-Platforms

Search up dock steps from a yacht or marine supply company. Heavy-duty, stable, and multiple steps.

2 Likes

This is what I use. A three-stepper from West Marine. It’s fiberglass, so built for weather and fairly light but a bit bulky to move because it’s big, they also can come in more steps, and can have a handrail added.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Those would be safest for horses, like designated horse mounting steps, completely enclosed all around.
If a horse bumps into them, it won’t have a place to get a leg thru.

1 Like

Our barn has both a plastic 3 step mounting block made by horseman’s pride, and heavy homemade wooden one. I much prefer the height of the wooden one (even if its massively heavy to move) to the 3 step plastic one which just isn’t tall enough for short 5’4 me attempting to mount a 16.3.h.h. horse. The plastic one is sturdy for sure, but lacks sufficient height.

I’ve been contemplating building steps like these to take to shows. Seem like you could secure it and make permanent if wanted.

Hello! I’d love to see pics of your mounting block. I recently injured my knee and I’m not looking forward to using a standard mounting block when I am cleared to get back on my 18hh draft cross. I’m most concerned with dismounting, actually. It’s a long way to the ground, and I’d like to dismount onto a wide, stable platform. If you want to email pics send to acleverhound@gmail.com. Thanks so much!

I’ll take some today :wink:

This worries me the most also - coming back from a very destructive knee injury and have zero cartilege in that knee and no meniscus. Hitting the ground scares the daylights out of me. My strategy now is to hold on to the saddle, pommel and cantle, and try to ease the impact as much as I can. Would love to be able to dismount onto a stable surface above the ground.

1 Like

Two companies that make quality marine products are Todd and Taylor. I bought a black 3-step block from Todd about 20 years ago. They are much better built and heavier than a lot of the horse brands. The barn had a therapy program so the indoor and outdoor arenas both had large wheelchair-accessible mounting ramps The one for the outdoor was outside of the arena. I put the 3-step inside so I didn’t have to worry about gates. It also got a fair amount of use at shows. Everyone used the therapy ramp in the indoor.

It’s dangerous to use a mounting block to dismount. The step is small. If you aren’t lined up quite right or the horse moves you’re in trouble. Build a “porch” with stairs. Home Depot has risers. You can google and find some ideas. This is also handy for young kids learning to mount.

I moved to a new barn 18 months ago. Nothing would accomdate my 74 year old body. Everybody else was young and eventing. They built one in the outdoor which is very nice, but too tall. Stirrup was close to a foot below the ramp. I’m short and uncoordinated with a 16hh gelding but someone was there to help. My horse’s 28 year old knee is self-destructing. We did our century ride - it was short - and 6 weeks later I retired us from riding.

Two skills for your horse: standing for mounting and dismounting. Do everything the same way every day. I make ample use of “good boy” and repetitions and he figures things out.

Mounting: lead him to the ramp You want him standing straight.and parallel. Usually the butt sticks out. I’m on the ramp and use the right (outside) rein to move his head to the right and back so his butt will move to the left. Early on he needed a little tap from the dressage whip. He did many therapy lessons over the years so it was a valuable skill.

Dismounting: Same idea but you need some leg yield. You have to figure out how far away he should be. Swing your right leg over and plant your foot firmly on the ramp, not on the edge. Maintain your balance and stand firmly upright. Pull your left foot out of the stirrup. Avoid stretching too much. They should be side by side.