Unlimited access >

Stackhouse - A Happy Custom Saddle Experience

There are a plethora of threads on saddles, fitting, buying, and usually it is the problems that are featured. I want to say that I have had the opposite experience with my new saddle.

I was nervous, I have seen problems with “custom” orders from both sides of the customer/fitter coin. It is a frustrating coin that should be gold given how expensive saddles are!

I first started to consider having David Stackhouse build me a saddle in 2010, when I went to Rolex with tracings of Bali’s back and could find no jumping saddle wide enough. I had a Black Country that just wasn’t working…and I while I loved the feel of the French ones they had nothing that wide.

Fast forward a couple of years, I realized Bali prefers dressage and still needed something that would fit me better. I ordered a customized Detente. Long story short, it never did really fit either one of us, it was a little bit too narrow, I did not send it back, thinking the flocking might settle, even though I know better…it is now sold. To help pay for the Stackhouse.

In January I was in NC at Denny Emerson’s farm and Stackhouse came over for someone else, Denny loves the saddles, and since I had talked to David and Leslie a few times I asked him to measure us, for when I could save up for a dressage saddle…since I don’t jump much anymore.

I wrote a couple of blogs about my worries…

The saddle is amazing for me and it absolutely fits Bali. I can see saving up for another in the future.

Bonus for me is that I have three horses that use that tree size, so it lets me use horseman’s rationalization skills to say it really wasn’t that expensive:D.

A REAL custom saddle?? So envious!! Enjoy-glad it worked out so well for you!! Wish I were on the East Coast…

I’m glad I’m not the only one with good custom saddle experiences!

I recently bought a Dresch, and it has been absolutely fabulous. Sebastian Dresch was out for the initial fitting, and they had a trailer full of demo saddles to use with velcro where the blocks would be. I forget just how many shapes of tree they have, but between all the shapes and sizes they can figure it out. Of course one look at my horse and the perfect fit for him was picked out immediately, as he’s the easy fit… I, on the other hand, am the reason we went fully custom, not customized. I have ample backside and meager femurs. The thigh blocks on my saddle are custom made extra-short, and the way they influence the shape of the flap to make it correct for my short legs is far from anything you’d find on a standard saddle at a normal store. I haven’t had trouble fitting my horse in saddles at all, but it’s fabulous to be riding in a saddle with stirrup bars in the right place for me and which lets me sit correctly. Now the muscles I’m building to support my body sitting correctly… well, epsom salts are my friends!

Oh, and SFVa - I meant to post on your blog and forgot, but I highly recommend webber-type leathers with your monoflap and stirrup bars in the right place for you. It makes things so much more comfortable, and they adjust super easily, too, if you get on and realize you have them in the wrong hole like I did last night…

Netg, I will look into that. I do notice the buckles a tiny bit. Thanks.

Dresch Saddlery

[QUOTE=netg;6996290]
I’m glad I’m not the only one with good custom saddle experiences!

I recently bought a Dresch, and it has been absolutely fabulous. Sebastian Dresch was out for the initial fitting, and they had a trailer full of demo saddles to use with velcro where the blocks would be. I forget just how many shapes of tree they have, but between all the shapes and sizes they can figure it out. Of course one look at my horse and the perfect fit for him was picked out immediately, as he’s the easy fit… I, on the other hand, am the reason we went fully custom, not customized. I have ample backside and meager femurs. The thigh blocks on my saddle are custom made extra-short, and the way they influence the shape of the flap to make it correct for my short legs is far from anything you’d find on a standard saddle at a normal store. I haven’t had trouble fitting my horse in saddles at all, but it’s fabulous to be riding in a saddle with stirrup bars in the right place for me and which lets me sit correctly. Now the muscles I’m building to support my body sitting correctly… well, epsom salts are my friends!

Oh, and SFVa - I meant to post on your blog and forgot, but I highly recommend webber-type leathers with your monoflap and stirrup bars in the right place for you. It makes things so much more comfortable, and they adjust super easily, too, if you get on and realize you have them in the wrong hole like I did last night…[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack the thread about another brand - but I had to second Dresch Saddlery! I just received my new saddle last week and love it! It’s been a 2+ year ordeal for me trying/buying various other dressage saddles (including Hennig and Customs) and finally found Sebastian :slight_smile:

Is there a link to Dresch Saddles? Can’t find any info on them. Sounds like a good solution on both brands partic for rider fit.

Good for you, OP!

I saw my first Stackhouse more than 20 years ago, then met the dude when he was in NJ and I wasn’t ready to order. But I was impressed with the guy behind those nice saddles. By the time I needed his help, he had decamped to the South.

I think people who have a saddle maker/principal close to them should take note. Give those guys a shot along with any reps for companies you know. Chances are that you will get the same quality you have seen in their other saddles but a really great fitting experience.

[QUOTE=Countrywood;7001419]
Is there a link to Dresch Saddles? Can’t find any info on them. Sounds like a good solution on both brands partic for rider fit.[/QUOTE]

I will send you a PM