Unlimited access >

Stall corner hay feeders

Have you used the new sturdy corner hay feeders that install with bolts and keep hay from getting mixed in with shavings on the stall floor? Do cribbers crib on them and pull them off the bolts? Thanks.

I can’t speak to any comer feeder but I can speak about cribbers.

Basically if a horse can crib on it, they are going to. Now if they can break it depends on how they crib. But if you have a cribber that is also puller, they will break it somehow. (Speaking as an owner of a cribber that pulled his auto waterer off the wall and flooded his stall. He went back to cribbing on that thing in a week)

3 Likes

have two stalls with the corner hay rack feeders bolted to the walls… never (yet) have had any issue with a horse tearing them down. My only complaint is all the chaff hay that falls on me as I throw a flake or two into the feeder.

We have at times tied hay bags to the feeders, also without any problems (other getting the hay into the feed bag thing)

If you can supply a preferred cribbing spot, THAT spot may be used instead of another spot that may be more problematical (from the human’s point of view). If there is no other cribbing spot, the horse will use whatever surface or structure that will suffice.

I wouldn’t use it for a cribber. The best thing for them are cotton hay nets.

I used to own a cribber. She would crib on the metal between the bars in the stalls. When it comes to a cribber, they will crib on anything even if that includes a 1” hard space.

I have one. It’s mounted fairly low with the bottom almost on the ground. My guy sticks his head wayyy down inside and slings the hay out all over. I can’t put the hay in a net because I’m afraid he will paw at it and hook a shoe. So now he had a wall hung webbing hay bag.

If it is placed at the right height a cribber will most likely go to town on that feeder. Placing it too low is asking for trouble and too high might make eating difficult. My cribber demolished several feeders until we put up something around the feeder. He cribbed on that instead.