Stall rest after injections?

My horse finally got his SI injected yesterday after a long on and off battle with it. I used a pretty new to me vet, we’ve only seen her three times. I have really enjoyed her but she is newer in practice…

She recommended stall rest for 7 days. He lives in a run with a shed at night so she said that was adequate. But he does have stifle issues and mild kissing spine. So the thought of him staying couped up for seven days is really giving me a pause.

I’m thinking about leaving him out of turnout but after a few days introducing some really low key hand walking. Like just around the barn on flat, level ground.

Not trying to disobey the vet but any means but she is younger and she is human. After looking around at COTH, 7 Days of stall rest definitely seems to be on the extreme end. Especially since he’s not very sore or lame.

1 Like

I’ve never heard seven days of stall rest for injections. Everything has always been 24-48 hours with dry lot /round pen for another day or two.

11 Likes

This seems like an opportunity for a conversation. Why is your vet making this recommendation? In her view, how do the pros of stall rest outweigh the cons for your horse?

My vets have often recommended one night of stall rest after injections, but after discussion, we have never actually done it. Decision points include how the horse behaves in turnout (quiet vs. rowdy,) the horse’s overall condition (likely to get stiff and stocked up inside or tolerates stall rest well,) the risk of aggravating a joint that’s already been disrupted with the injection, ability to keep the horse comfortable in gentle motion, etc.

5 Likes

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never had an SI injected, but for hock and stifle and any other IA injections, my horse is never stalled. A couple days of bute and a few days of rest and we are back to normal after that.

2 Likes

Some of the newer gels have a longer stall rest period, but I don’t think they inject those into the SI?

Do you know what the injectable was?

1 Like

It was a steroid… depo? Sorry I don’t know the full name for it but I could look at the notes.

Yes I’ll definitely ask her again about the hand walking in a few days. I mean he’s not in a box stall so at least he has a little bit of movement but for the most part of felt that more movement for his back and stifles the better.

I’ve already been a pretty vocal client as far as questions so I’m trying to not be a pain in the butt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s a pretty standard injection then. My late mare had her SI done, I think they asked for 1 or 2 days stall rest, hand walking ok but no theatrics, then turnout for the rest of the week, then back to work.

Yeah that’s my thinking too. I am going to double check with her in a few days. Last time my horse was on “stall rest” which was really a small outdoor run, he got so worked up that the stable hand called me. And if we keep him too cooped up for too long I first see that he is going to go nuts when we do turn them out which would probably be worse, in my opinion.

The vet seems reasonable so hopefully when I explain it to her so tell me if she feels comfortable or not. :crossed_fingers:

My vet had me do 7 days when I injected my late gelding’s SI. I’ve observed this is standard for my vet practice. It’s other injections that have a shorter stall period. In your position I’d do 48 then revisit. Talk to the vet.

3 Likes

For sure. I definitely understand not wanting to disturb the area too much. My biggest concern is just his stifles and back as well… I don’t want to get one area feeling great and be set back a whole lot in other areas. I’ll touch base with her again in 2 days.

1 Like

Hi! Just curious to hear how the SI injections helped? Did you notice a difference?

In my case it did not. We never really did find the cause of that mare’s lameness, despite throwing the medical book at her.

I know this is my own thread but like 16 years ago I had a horse that we injected his SI. Things were so different back then I don’t remember us doing a lot of diagnostics at all. His hocks weren’t an issue so I think we just automatically move to the SI lol. Anyways I didn’t see results right away but eventually we did. To my knowledge he never needed it again (I sold him a few years after. But then I ended up riding him again years later)

1 Like

great info thank you! Really hoping i can find something that will make my guy comfortable (doing shockwave first)

1 Like

Mine just had his SI injected last Friday. Also prescribed 7 days of stall rest with no handwalking (ie. no forced exercise). He is allowed to be hand grazed.

He’s had a prior SI ligament injury so I’ve been through this before and it’s always been 7 days of stall rest afterwards. Other injections (hocks, etc) are 2 days rest then back to turnout, even with Noltrex (hydrogel).

Mine gets sarapin in the SI. He has done well with this - it’s been 5 years since the previous injection and before that he went 4 years.

1 Like

Mine just had his SI injected (steroid) a month ago at the fancy haul-in lameness clinic. He was prescribed stall rest for the remainder of the day and could go back out in the AM. No riding for three days. My horse was sore but not dramatically so and not injured.

The combo of SI injection and new angles in the hind feet have made a very very happy horse. His canter feels fantastic. It took 2-3 weeks to get the full effect.

3 Likes

Well we will give the full seven days our best shot if he stays quiet enough. And I’ll just hope the stifle and back don’t lose too much progress in that time :crossed_fingers:

If things start to get funky I’ll definitely reach back out to the vet.

RJC- your horse sounds like mine. Mildly sore and no acute injury. We also have worked on his feet and we are are on the right track to 100% so I’m hoping this SI helps us along with the progress. To me it feels like it could be the last missing puzzle piece here.

Were they not concerned about the trailer haul returning home undoing some of the good work of the injection? My vet prefers you either inject at home and immediately confine, or haul in and stay at least 48hs at the facility.

Hauling 15m is as much physical work as a W/T/C ride.

My horse trailered home as well. They would not do it the SI injection in barn and insisted we hauled there. And they have no stalls at the clinic to overnight (it’s just a small little clinic but wayyyyy closer than CSU for some things.)

1 Like