Unlimited access >

Stallion Breeding Halter question

Greetings! I have a quick question concerning stallion halters. On a lot of ones I have seen in magazines and catalogs, there is a “half moon“ shaped piece of leather that runs from the noseband to the cheek piece. I don’t normally see this on regular halters. I am not involved with breeding, but I seem to notice that these are found on stallion halters.
Can someone please enlighten me as to what purpose it serves?
Thank you so much!!

Leather stallion halters have larger round rings at the cheeks instead of the standard “square” rings. 2 reasons: the leather strap used in stallion halters is often 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" wide (for extra strength and durability) and that doesn’t always fit in the square rings. But most important, the large round cheek rings make it easy to slide a chain through, twice if desired. (Spendthrift runs the chain through the mouth, then back over the nose, through the left nose ring again, and clipped up to the left upper ring, it “cradles” the head instead of mouth pressure only. You can’t do this in a square ring halter.)

The half moons stabilize the noseband on the round rings, that would flop down without the leather moons. Not needed on square rings, which have a slot for each leather piece for stability.

1 Like

Ahh, got it! Thanks Eventer AJ, that makes sense!

Yep! What EventerAJ said. :wink: