Unlimited access >

Stallion,Bull, and a cow

This seems like it could really be a disaster. Is there a quick exit strategy if something goes south quickly? Does the stallion have another housing option at your place if it becomes clear it’s not going to work?

FWIW, I had no idea what “bumped off” meant. Slaughtered, butchered, processed…sure. Have never heard “bumped off” as a term for that. Is it regional?

1 Like

Breeding a bull to its mother, ick. I have been in a cattle family my whole life, and just no. There’s a reason why we tend to buy a good bull off farm and rotate every couple years.

3 Likes

Are they polled? Is your fencing barbed wire?

In my experience horse fencing just doesn’t cut it when the cows get hungry/horny. And for obvious reasons, I wouldn’t put a horse in barbed wire.

We have a very “nice” bull. He has never been pushy or rude, but he is 2600 pounds of do-whatever-I-want, including climbing over or through fences.
We have also had several horses poked by horns through fences because they were messing with the cows over the fence.

My 'pet’s cow is not with any of my horses because she is a miniature and $$$ and I do not want to risk her getting kicked or chased. She does love a big TB on the farm, but the risk is too great to let them frolic together. Of course, she is halter broke and dehorned, but we will watch her closely when she has her first calf this year.