Unlimited access >

Stallion,Bull, and a cow

I have a stallion who has a 2acre field to himself. We are getting a 1year old bull, and a pregnant cow(mother/son) the bull was going to be bumped off this fall, but the owner has decided to keep him for breeding. What are your thoughts on keeping the cow’s in the same field as the stallion? Come summer they will be going into a 30acre field. But for now wouod be sharing this one. I have had horses all my life but having the cows is a new one for me. I feed small square bales 3times a day to our horses… Can cows live on the same routine?
Thank-you

I had my old mellow gelding in with our cows. Horses are the king of cattle and they will get up and get out of the way of dobbins going from A to B.

I came home to see the cow had calved and Pepper was standing over the calf. The cow could not get to her calf. I called him away and it was only then that the cow released her afterbirth and went to lick her calf.

Most cows and horses can co-exist quite nicely, but horses will push cows off feed. Multiple feed spots, and definitely watch when the cow calves. Our neighbors had cattle with donkeys-- and those two miniatures ruled the roost! Lots of kicking of cattle when hay was put out, so watch to see if your horse is aggressive. Is the bull fairly tame? Will he be kept a bull or castrated? I’d be concerned with a son in with a mother-- she can be bred on her calving heat.

Thank-you for your quick responses! The bull is quite tame, and will be even more so once he is brought here. (We do not own the cows) We have made an agreement with a friend to use our fields. He has been breeding only the finest of the herd for years, and knows his stuff. He will also be at our farm almost every day to keep an eye on them. But as I am the person who is looking after the feed ect. I want to make sure I am covering all of my angles(so to speak). Do you know if cows can live on a feeding ache of three times a day? Most people around here have big round bales, and free feed, but that is not an option for us.

My biggest issue with this situation is people going into the field with the bull. Even now, but especially as he matures he may become aggressive over his “herd”. And it may not be obvious until there is an incident which could be very bad.

3 Likes

My question would be, if he knows so much about cattle, why is that bull still a bull at that age?
Very few bulls are kept bulls, especially if meant as pets.
They become steers for their and everyone else’s sake.
Few bulls stay gentle as they get older.
Mature bulls by their nature have a short temper and are very single minded, hard to change their mind.
Most livestock accidents happen with bulls, that seemingly out of the blue act up, even the very gentle ones.

Not even addressing what he is doing turned out with his dam.

As for horses and cattle, they get along fine, or not.
Some times horses will use cattle for entertainment, chasing and biting them.
Other times, cattle spend time licking on horses and chewing tails on horses as their entertainment.
Especially calves love to do that, if the horse stands there.
Cattle like to mount horses, is a dominance play.
Some horses don’t like that and will kick them.

You never know how they will get along until you try it.
That will depend on the individuals involved.

Feeding by hand will just make the situation a bit more difficult as you may be in the middle and they will jostle for their food and place in the herd.

All that may work with someone that will be careful and pay attention, which you may do.
If you have someone feeding at times, be sure they are trained well so they don’t get in trouble if your herd has a cranky day while they are feeding.

Be super careful with any cattle feed.
Some of those rations have supplements that are extremely toxic to horses.
A pinch of it can kill a horse.

Many keep a few horses with their cattle when they have to.
Not ideal, but keeping an eye out for trouble, if it works, they do fine.

6 Likes

As Bluey said you do not want your horses to be able to eat any of the cow feed. That could be fatal to your horse depending what the cow is fed.

1 Like

My big concern would be once the cow calves, what will the stallion do? will he harm the calf? how will he react when the cow goes into labour? also, a cow, no matter how gentle or tame she is, once she calves, she can become very aggressive towards anything or anyone if she thinks her calf is in danger. What breed is the bull? and do you have good fencing to keep the bull away from the cow.

At first I thought the Title was a lead into one of those “Walk into a bar” jokes.

@Cowgirl up From the more knowledgeable advice you’ve gotten here, it does not sound like 2ac is sufficient to handle the number & type of animals you expect to coexist there.

5 Likes

Is it a beef bull? They tend to be much more reasonable than a dairy bull. My mare lives with my bull when I take him off of the cows. He’s a good boy doesn’t really like to be pet but respects people and you can move him easily.

The most dangerous is a cow with a new calf! I’ve only been taken down by cows/first calvers and never by a bull.

The bull will be fine eating a few times a day I would think. If he starts being a pest he isn’t full and you can just up the amount of hay you put out.

Have the bull’s owner give you a run down on behavior quick. Putting their head down is a show of dominance even though it looks like they want to be pet!

I would not be cool with someone else deciding what the bovines eat in the same field with my horses. There are too many ways that cattle feed can kill a horse- and that’s not something the cattle owner is going to be thinking about.

What Bluey said. And an added question, if that cattleman breeds only the best why doesn’t he have grazing for his own cattle? Take the OP, change “bull” and “pregnant cow” to “stallion” and “mare in foal” and ask yourself if you would do the same if they were your animals.

Something NQR here.

And as for the stallion, is he at stud? Or just a stud? And why?

3 Likes

I have a problem with this bull turned out with his own pregnant momma – never mind the stallion, though I question the wisdom of the whole arrangement.

Yes, that bull will breed his mom after the new calf is born. Now maybe that’s what the cattle owner WANTS to do – but it’s better if he does it on his own property away from the stallion. Yearling bulls are well capable of breeding. Virgin yearling bulls are often used on virgin yearling heifers – just to cut the risk of bovine STD’s.

And, you don’t know how Mr. Stud Horse will get along with the cattle, or them with him.

The bull is to be bumped off this September(plan change), and if the new calf is a male he will be bumped next year, and if a female she will either be kept for breeding, or sold when she is old enough. This will be the cows 3rd(third) baby. She has been a great mom, and has never gotten aggressive towards humans after she has calved. I am aware this can always change, but as of right now that is where she stands. The bull, and cow are currently located 2hrs south of where the owner lives, whereas we live 10min. He used to have them on his own property, but fields needed a rest/re seeded. The cows/horse will only be in the 2acre field until the grass is growing. Then they will be separated into bigger/ seperate fields, until winter again. The bull knows where he stands in the pecking order and would be reminded of he tried something. I know and understand cattle behavior. As for the feed! They are all on local hay- NO MOLD OR DUST. Both the other owner and I believe strongly in having good quality hay/feed for our animals. The only grain either one would be getting is oats and barley with molasses. The cows get as a treat every now and again, and the stud only gets it over winter. Or as a treat at the same time as the cows.

The stallion has previously been at stud. He is now over 20, and has been retired from that duty. He is now a wonderful trail, and pleasure riding horse. Gelding him is NOT an option.

Then what is the question?

2 Likes

So … there is some sort of magic in your pasture? A bull is not a cow and is not a stallion. No way in hell would I agree to keep someone else’s bull, let alone in with my pet stallion, a cow, and a calf. Let the owner of the beasts find someone with cattle experience to deal with his problem animals. Please note, problem can be either he’s not giving you the full story on temperament, or they are merely a problem because he has them but cannot house them himself.

I get the feeling you’re going to do this regardless, so out of curiosity, how much will get for boarding these creatures? Who monitors health and wellness of them? Who is responsible if that bull hurts someone while under your care?

1 Like

I have the full story. There is nothing being hidden. I have seen, and “hung out” with the cow, and bull. My original question was if cows can live on being fed 3 times a day. Or if they need to be fed more often.

I know the owner well, there is no funny business going on. It was a simple question, and everyone seems to be adding, and trying to read between the invisible lines.
I have the ability, and can/will seperate the cows, horse, bull if needed. The plan is for the bull to breed the cow this summer, then be bumped off in the fall. We had another bull, but he was bumped off last year, which is why we are using this one for the summer breeding, in order to keep the breed going. In our area it is common for peopel to own cows, but keep them in other people’s pastures. I don’t need to say what the cost/trade is, as this is a personal deal. As for the health and well being. These animals are very well cared for, and our the owners babies. Just because I have never owned a cow, does not mean I don’t know anything! I have loved, and worked on the farm my entire life. The owner will also be here everyday to check on them.

Wait, so you had another bull as recently as last year? I thought you said about this new bull and cow, “having the cows is a new one for me.” Why wouldn’t you feed this cow and bull the same way you fed your previous bull? I’m sure feeding hay three times a day would be fine, but best to ask the owner who has been breeding cattle for years and knows his stuff. Surely he has an opinion on how you feed his cattle?

On a different note, I am totally distracted by your description of the bull’s demise. I don’t recall other cattle owners being squeamish about sending their stock to slaughter so when you describe how your bull “was bumped off” it concerns me that a hit man was involved.

I did not own the previous bull. I live in a small town. Most people use meat, baked goods, created projects for trade, instead of money. I most certainly have been talking with the owner on feeding his cows, and schedule ect. I was just curious on what other farmers do.
I have always said “bumped off” .No middle man. Slaughered, Dinner, bumped off. Ect. I’m sure I heard someone say it when I was young, and just always continued saying it. Definitely not squeamish!

I’m still wondering how a bull is going to become tamer when it is moved from, presumably a place it knows as home, to a new place.

1 Like