Unlimited access >

Stallion for D line hano mare

I don’t know much about their actual personalities or what not, but in reference to Diacontinus’s pedigree; Argentinus is the sire of the 2019 USEF Leading Hunter Sire (Arko III) and Contender is the damsire of the 2019 USEF Leading Jumper Sire (Chacco Blue). Contender is pretty prolific as a jumper sire, but I don’t recall seeing a ton of his offspring in the hunter ring. Argentinus is also quite prolific, but you see his offspring in both the hunter and jumper rings quite often. Elizabeth Houtsma at Hillside H farm knows jumper bloodlines inside and out so you might ping her, or really any other jumper breeder. Wendy Davis Gerrish is in Texas and very knowledgeable. Wendy breeds both in the US and in Europe so could give you good insight on bloodlines and what they produce. She also knows hunters well and would have good info on jumper stallions.

The blood line of Argentinus is a multi talented line descending from the trakehner Abglanz. Argentinus himself produced both dressage and jumpers at a Grand Prix level. So does other branches of this A-line :slight_smile:

Keeper. Well at least at first. Everything I own is for sale, but I would be doing this for me. Not for the market.

I do love Diarado, but his size has left me wondering if it’s them right fit. My mare is probably 16.2 ish (I need to measure her). While I am not a tall person, I tend to like to ride horses that are 16.2-17h. I am worried I’ll end up with a small junior type.

I also like the C line and Argentus at the bottom of Diacontinus. Biggest concern being that the baby might come out too thick.

Diacontus is lovely but genuine question here - I haven’t done the hunters myself in a very long time - why do you like him as a hunter stallion? He has a good jump but nothing about his canter or way of going strikes me as a hunter type.

I have a yearling filly by Diacontinus and a 3 year old gelding by Checkmate, both out of the same mare. I have a yearling Valentino too (from a different mare). My checkmate colt is 100% hunter. The filly will probably be a jumper. She is very tall and solid. Diacontinus has produced some nice hunters though… they all jump with beautiful form and have very good rideability from what I’ve seen. DM me if you want to see photos. I love them all, but my Checkmate is definitely the most huntery of my 3.

From my experience the mare passes the movement mostly. My mare is an excellent mover. However I also think Diacontis canter is rhythmical, soft off the ground, flowing, and adjustable. All qualities I look for in a hunter. If you look at his more raw footage as a young horse, he carries himself naturally with presence and an even way of going. Also qualities I look for. I can’t think of a single European jumper sire that goes like a hunter, and yet they produce them all the time. I’m looking for a horse that complements my mare and her short comings. If the baby pops out as a Grand Prix jumper, is be ok with that too. :wink:

DM sent!

We have bred 2 Quaterbacks (one a 3 year old and one a yearling) Top movers, super dispositions. It is known in Germany that when in dressage work they have a tendency to not like collected work and some say NO (and then they are sold to the US as hunters…lol) I have seen A LOT of Diacontinus through the chute in Germany, they are usually nice enough movers great disposition and lots of scope but sometimes have a small eye on a big head, but what I saw more often then not they like to jump with and uneven front leg, one always slightly higher then the other. You can’t really see it in pictures, since they are often taken from the side but it is very evident in person. Jump is the most heritable trait so you do need to choose wisely. Saying that if you have seen enough QB offspring then you can tell they all seem to jump the same.

1 Like

Look at Navarone. He produces super hunters. Puts on really nice necks, powerful hind ends and the best character you can find. Produces really nice hunters too. www.majesticgaits.com/navarone.htm

Have you seen “party in de hus”? i just bred one of my premium Oldenburg mares to him. One of his babies has the freakiest movement for a hunter that ive seen, check out his facebook! I come from breeding welsh ponies and being in the hunter breeding ring. Also, check out any studs by “for pleasure”; I’ve dealt with a few of his grand babies and lets just say no matter the discipline they go like a hunter and have the scope. A lot of consistency!! i think 'for play" (one of his sons) has a lovely jump and has the movement too not to mention should shorten that pretty donnerhall face. But both of those studs/ lines have a shoft landing step like you want. Best of luck!!!