Unlimited access >

Stallion for my Balou du Rouet mare?

Does anybody have experience to share with breeding their Balou du Rouet mare to certain stallions?

Balou Reyna NHF, 3-year old (turning 4 in April) that I am looking to breed this coming year. She is one of the easiest, most amateur friendly horses I have ever ridden. She has a wonderful brain - acts more like a seasoned veteran than a three year old. She has a beautiful trot, huge canter, auto changes, adorable jump, I could go on forever. I’m a 21 year old Amateur and broke her myself while my younger sister rides her while I’m away at college.

I’m trying to get an idea of what they cross well with. Among my favorites are Cornet Obolensky, Crown Affair, Qredit, Cunningham, and Sir Caletto.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!:slight_smile:

I have a Crown Affair colt. He was born friendly. He is absolutely easy to work with, athletic, and eager to please. My mare was a Rio Grande who is a bit nervous, so I think that Crown Affair mellowed him out a bit. I do not know specifically about a Balou cross, just sharing my experience. :slight_smile:

I think I actually contacted the breeder of your horse about her!

My friend has a Balou mare out of the full sister to Judgement. She is in foal to Cornet Obolensky and she is thinking about breeding her to Emerald next year.

Are you hoping to breed for a jumper or a hunter and are you breeding to keep or sell? I know a few Cunningham’s and he isn’t my first choice in a stallion or Cassini I son.

I like to look on HorseTellex when researching as you can see what horses with X horse as a dam sire have accomplished and who their sire is etc.

I have a Balou stallion, and my favorite crosses have been with the Holsteiner C lines if that helps at all. Is your mare out of SPS Wega?

[QUOTE=Didi;8960746]
I have a Crown Affair colt. He was born friendly. He is absolutely easy to work with, athletic, and eager to please. My mare was a Rio Grande who is a bit nervous, so I think that Crown Affair mellowed him out a bit. I do not know specifically about a Balou cross, just sharing my experience. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing!

@hequestrian

I purchased her from Maggie Neider of North Hill Farm!

I’m hoping to breed her for a jumper as I believe she will make up to be a wonderful 3’6 A/O horse for me one day :slight_smile: I want to keep her baby!

Thank you! I will check it out!

[QUOTE=horsechick;8961179]
I have a Balou stallion, and my favorite crosses have been with the Holsteiner C lines if that helps at all. Is your mare out of SPS Wega?[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Yes she is!

[QUOTE=BrittFleisher;8961478]
Thank you! Yes she is![/QUOTE]

Love her! I had a Landor S/SPS Wega gelding that was fabulous :slight_smile:

I have a lovely Zip Phin/Balou Hunter mare who took a year off to have one baby for me before returning to competition. She is a typical Balou mare and I crossed her with the stallion Canturano, to add length of leg and neck, improve canter and keep the “pretty” so as to not eliminate the possibility of a hunter if she did not produce a jumper for top sport. I was very happy with the result. http://www.zangersheide.com/en/hengsten/CANTURANO-Z-CANTURO-x-CORIANO-Z-81

[QUOTE=hequestrian;8960785]
I think I actually contacted the breeder of your horse about her!

My friend has a Balou mare out of the full sister to Judgement. She is in foal to Cornet Obolensky and she is thinking about breeding her to Emerald next year.

Are you hoping to breed for a jumper or a hunter and are you breeding to keep or sell? I know a few Cunningham’s and he isn’t my first choice in a stallion or Cassini I son.

I like to look on HorseTellex when researching as you can see what horses with X horse as a dam sire have accomplished and who their sire is etc.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if your friend had any trouble with breeding to Cornet Obolensky? I have heard many people say his semen was poor quality.

[QUOTE=RanchoAdobe;8964017]
I have a lovely Zip Phin/Balou Hunter mare who took a year off to have one baby for me before returning to competition. She is a typical Balou mare and I crossed her with the stallion Canturano, to add length of leg and neck, improve canter and keep the “pretty” so as to not eliminate the possibility of a hunter if she did not produce a jumper for top sport. I was very happy with the result. http://www.zangersheide.com/en/hengsten/CANTURANO-Z-CANTURO-x-CORIANO-Z-81[/QUOTE]

Do you have any photos of the baby? I’m eager to see! I checked the Facebook page but could not find one. The stallion is beautiful!

[QUOTE=BrittFleisher;8964715]
Do you know if your friend had any trouble with breeding to Cornet Obolensky? I have heard many people say his semen was poor quality.[/QUOTE]

The mare was a maiden and has not had any complications and was pregnant easily. I had heard that his newer batches were better as he isn’t competing.

The CO semen works, but it is not “good.” It requires a very, very good repro vet who is experienced with frozen and willing to have perfect timing and deep horn insemination. It will also require a fertile mare. If you decide to try CO, have a back up plan in mind that will also make you happy. You will be risking about $4500/cycle, but sometimes that risk pays off. I’m expecting a CO in February out of my States Premium Holst. mare (Limbus X Carthago). I did also use three straws and not the recommended two straw dose.

Check out my Facebook page- the Canturano is the tall bay who goes by the name Cantalou. Feel free to PM me for free jump and pictures.

If you are interested in a Cassini I son, check out Cartier R. He’s a lovely stallion and reliably throws beautiful offspring that are athletic with great temperaments. He is a successful 3/6 A/O hunter himself, but has a spectacular jump and definitely a jumper pedigree.