Unlimited access >

Stallion housing?

What does your stallion’s living situation look like?

My stallion was always kept like all my other horses. At shows we tried to give him an end stall where possible and I built a collapsible tarp “extension” to go around the top of stall in case it was needed (he occasionally liked to rear up and have a peek over the tops of the walls to see his neighbors but we rarely needed to put it up). At home, he was stabled just like any of the others. Depending which barn we were in, sometimes he had bars so he could see through to the neighboring stall or could hang is head into the aisle. The other barn had solid walls. He was fine with either. He was on solo turnout but could always see other horses out nearby.

1 Like

Paddocked next door to a gelding with plain wire fence and a single strand of hot wire on the top. The hot wire is to protect him from my gelding more than anything else.

He’s stabled next to geldings. He’s not fussy on his company and gets on with everyone.

Mine grew up living in a group gelding herd until he was 3 so he’s pretty damn chill about life.

My 4yo Irish moose responds best to tall and hot fence. He is very “mare aware” for a colt who’s never been kissed. A laps in managerial judgment at the farm where he’s currently kept climaxed with him mounting a 5ft pipe fence thankfully no one was injured and no romance was made.

He’s probably 16.2 or 3 currently but he’s always been willing to test fence with his chest. Safest boundaries for him are high enough that he either can’t get his head over the top or gets zapped on the chin when he does.
Plans are in place to construct a raptor pen for him at the new farm.
He’s also been successfully stalled and turned out next to geldings, was out with a herd until about 18 months old. Seems to love the company, so we will continue with that and potentially try a turn out buddy if we find a good match.

Like any horse, before I walk into a situation with him I take a good look around and all of the many things that could go wrong. It’s almost more about him being a young dumb Irish horse than a stallion but his increased interest in other horses definitely adds another layer of motivation to the stupid.

Our boys are lucky and have a great life. One wing of the barn is dedicated to stallions. Just like our other stalls, they all have bars in between so they can see and touch neighbors and they get big windows to the outside. Everyone goes to individual turnout with 8’ fencing.

5 Likes

My daughter owns my last stallion; but, when I was keeping stallions they all lived in their own paddock with run in shed that shared a fence line with the geldings. I never had trouble with injuries and the stallions and geldings would groom each other across the fence. I would bring them into our barn and stall them when needed which really wasn’t often. I live in Arizona where my barns have been the pipe railing fencing for stalls/barn and the fence line. I’ve been extremely fortunate in that none of my stallions really raised a fuss even during breeding season. They all knew the difference between their various jobs…if they didn’t they weren’t allowed to keep their jewels as mine were competed and ridden by junior riders as well as myself.

There are three in the training barn I work in. 2 are on end stalls next to a gelding. The other is in the middle of the barn, with geldings on both sides. Stalls are European style fronts with bars on the sides.

They get turned out alone with a gelding in the neighboring paddock.

I stood 2 stallions for about 40 years combined. They each had their own paddock with a run in shed. My senior stallion enjoyed company, so he had a “wife” for his life - although he out lived 4! The last one truly mourned his passing and thoroughly checked out the vet - she was very protective and I still have her (she’s 29) and a daughter and granddaughter. He was truly awesome - a 5 year old blind kid could have bred him and if I needed to breed him I just brought the mare to tease over his run in - which was all board and tall and then take him to her without a problem. His son, the younger stallion, lived across the farm road and shared a double fence line with mares and geldings; I had a filly get in with him once and he was a good boy until we got her out. I was very fortunate and blessed with those two!

I visited this place years back. I love how the stallions get to touch noses and see outside. They all seemed pretty happy.

1 Like

My guy was out with a gelding until he was 4 1/2. We had to split them up because the gelding was mounting him too much. Now he is out next to mares with a 10’ lane between them. Regular height four board fencing. He is in a stall with bars on two sides and can put his head into the aisle or out a big window.
He was never isolated growing up and is very easy. At shows he has been stalled next to the grooming stall and behaved perfectly.

Here he is saying “hi” to his daughter.