Unlimited access >

Stallion Opinions- Edward Scissorhands & Dracula

I keep finding myself looking at Edward Scissorhands and Dracula d’Avalon. I’d be looking to breed for an adult hunter type. Worth taking a risk on a young stallion?

Any opinions out there on these two young stallions?

I think the best person to speak to about both stallions would be Kathy St Martin (Equine Reproduction).
She is very honest and straightforward and could tell you best which of her lovely stallions would be best for your mare, to produce what you are hoping for.
Kathy is on FB and is very easy to deal with.

Good luck.

I agree with Fred. Kathy will be frank about which one she thinks would be best suited for your mare! Good luck! :slight_smile:

I just want to say that I saw Dracula during the final days of the 70 day test in December. He seemed to have a really solid, workmanlike temperament; I didn’t see him put a foot wrong. I heard comments to this effect from others who had been present throughout the testing: he just went to work every day and did his job. He looks like he would be a very enjoyable horse to ride. :slight_smile:

Dracula is more of a dressage horse than Edward but I agree, just talk to Kathy, she will give you an honest assessment.

Thanks all. I have been talking to Kathy and she has been very quick to respond to my questions and helpful directing me to which stallion would be a better fit. I have a rather untraditional match for her. As I’m looking to breed my quarter horse mare and not a warmblood.

Before anyone gets their flame thrower out, the foal would not be something I’d be looking to sell. It would be my replacement for the mare. Thanks to all who have responded, sometimes it’s nice to go other outside opinions!

I have a friend who was looking for a WB stallion to breed to her Akhal-Teke mare for a lower-level, ammie-friendly dressage horse for herself. She wanted to shorten the back & add some height.

I’ve bred to several of Kathy’s stallions before and they are absolutely wonderful to deal with. Not only are they one of the very small number of American breeders who have managed to get multiple homebred stallions approved via testing (8 of them last count), but because equine reproduction is their business, you are guaranteed good semen shipped in a timely manner.

I don’t have to tell any breeder on COTH that a mare owner can easily dump the price of a whole 'nother stud fee just on paying for bad/late collections & shipping fees.

You never have to worry about that w/Kathy & Jos.

Regarding the diff between Ed & Drac, I’m not sure either have had enough foals on the ground to get a clear pic of what they consistently produce.

My friend ended up going with Dracula; mostly because of the screaming deal Kathy was offering at the time: $350 LFG for the 1st 10 mares!! But I think either boy will give you a lovely foal.

Maybe slight edge towards Ed, since Esudo is more likely to throw a hunter-type of mover.

I believe the OP said that she was looking for a hunter type foal for herself so perhaps Edward would be the better choice.

Agree with what everyone else has said, Kathy & Jos are professional. Easy to work with, good at what they do and honest!

Good luck!!