Unlimited access >

Stallion Quaterback--for a hunter?

He IS passing on that movement. The foal reports from JY and others in europe are pretty emphatic about this. Big knee…just BIG movers. This is the primary reason I am breeding to him…I want more knee…and he has the genetics to bring it. To breed to him and hope to get something totally opposite would be foolish.

I say do what you want but the last thing he will likely produce is a flattish moveing horse.

[QUOTE=Royal Monaco;3155289]
I bred my hunter mare to a dressage stallion.

My mare as a #1 hunter jump but could have more elasticity in her trot and more roundness in her canter. I bred her to a grandson of Rubinstein (Royal T)out of a Figaro mare that as a lot of knee action and elevation in his gates (not as much as QB thought).

Result: I got exactly what I was looking for. My colt as the most regular, cute, round and balance canter I could have asked for and THE trot I was expecting. The stallion improved my mare exactly where I wanted to. The only thing I did not test yet is his ability o/f as he is only 12 months old. Will test this at the end of the summer in free jumping…[/QUOTE]

I have seen some hunter types by Rubinstein himself; I don’t think the lines you mention are that extreme in this context. QB is a freakish mover; I really, really could not imagine picking him with the goal being that he would not pass on precisely what he brings to the table.

That said, I seem to recall seeing a spectacular Rousseau youngster out of a Voltaire mare – but the youngster without a doubt was meant to be a dressage horse. I think the horse is on the Rousseau video, but I would have to look at it again. So, depending on the mare’s movement, I don’t think the Voltaire line per se would necessarily be such an odd mix with a dressage stallion, but I would only do that match if the mare had qualities suited to dressage also. I actually like to see jumper blood in a dressage pedigree. But I do not think QB is a wise choice if the goal is to produce a hunter.

Perhaps the OP should switch to dressage

1 Like

So… here we are,10 years later - dare I say, “I told you so?” :wink:

https://yanceyfarms-news.blogspot.com/2016/01/why-quaterback-produces-such-awesome.html

7 Likes

LOL! Reading through this old thread and thinking about some of the nice, nice hunters I’ve seen by Quaterback coming out over the past few years gave me a chuckle. :wink:

3 Likes

SIGNATURE! After trying to find a Quaterback for about 5 years in Europe, I finally found one here in the US. Mine is 4 and greener than grass, but I remembered seeing one of these threads years ago when I wanted to use him on my mare that ended up needing fresh. I wanted to find the thread and salute you. Too soon to say if mine will mature into a hack winner, ime the knee action when first starting any really athletic young warmblood takes a while to level out, but the sheer rideability and that canter! Most balanced baby I’ve ever had the privilege to sit on. Way to be ahead of the curve!

2 Likes

Justice “Signature” is my partner at Signature Sporthorses. Luckily we have never listened to the naysayers on forums and instead have developed our breeding decisions on actually seeing things in person in Europe, most years, and talking to trainers and importers. We have had now loads of winners in the ring from “dressage stallions” with our good mares. PS- we just had our 2nd Quaterback foal 2 weeks ago. The first one is 3 and is the hack winner in any company, jumps amazing in the chute and has been super easy under saddle thus far for her owner.

1 Like

Started reading this thread without looking at the date, and was VERY confused by the naysayers - I’ve seen several lovely hunters by Quaterback in person in recent years! His son Qredit also throws a very nice hunter type.

I like him. but try bon balou or fabriano.

Did you read this thread? The OP asked this question in 2008. It’s rather silly to be giving your advice regarding stallion choice 12 years after the question, don’t you think? If you look in the right upper corner of the post, you can see the date. :wink:

2 Likes

It is funny reading this thread going back 12 years when Quaterback was unknown. I read Judy Yancey’s write up on Quaterback and decided to use him for an Alla Czar mare specifically for hunters. I liked the cross so much I repeated it. I have a 2019 filly and a 2020 colt. They are fantastic movers, kind and what I ordered. I do recommend Quaterback as a solid hunter cross especially for those looking to improve movement.

1 Like