Unlimited access >

Stallion suggestions for a Contucci/Ijsselmeer mare, please!

I’m considering breeding my Contucci/Ijsselmeer mare for the first time. She is a proven performance horse through I-1, and was easily schooling all the grand prix before an injury. Great temperament, very trainable, super easy changes, piaffe/passage, and pirouettes - there is nothing this mare finds difficult, and was trained by an amature to boot. Beyond this, her strengths include a fantastic walk and a great trot (perhaps not as flashy knees as you often see nowadays, but lovely suspension and super cadence). Lovely to have in the barn, very people-oriented.

Things I’d like to improve are:

• the canter - something more naturally cadenced and uphill would be good. She has fantastic sit and it has improved tremendously, but her default is a little flat.
  • the neck - something a little more “up and out” would be ideal, though maybe I’m the only one who sees hers as a smidge low - no one else has ever commented. Certainly no judge has ever commented on the neck in the ring.
  • hotness - I would love to have something a bit more chill, as Maresy was a hot tamale when she was younger. In a perfect world, I’d end up with something easy on the trails, as Maresy is not (I do torture her with regular trail riding to various degrees, but she’s not a hop-on-and-go type). So nothing with Jazz or Sandro Hit up close! I’m getting too old for that lol.

I would be breeding for myself with best-case-scenario grand prix goals, and would be happy with a carbon copy of her. She is registered with ISR-NA, but has not been to any mare performance tests. I don’t have a preference on registry. I’m based in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic, and would want to stick with cooled semen. Mare is 16.1, but looks and rides bigger. I would want the foal to be at least 16.1 or so (nothing smaller, ideally).

Stallions I’m interested in:

• Gaudi - hard to argue with his bloodlines. Any updates on how his foals are doing?
  • McKenzy JHL - I know very little about him but so far I am impressed, plus I’m a sucker for a proven performance horse (and it seems like GP is definitely in the cards for him). Anyone know him or any of his get?
  • Pharaoh DG - impressive young stallion so far! Not sure how much is out there about him but I’d love any feedback!
  • Louisville HTF - he’s close to me and I could go see him in person, but would love any feedback on him if you have it!!

Any others you’d recommend?

1 Like

I know you would like to stick with fresh cooled, but if you can score any frozen secret semen, I believe he would complement your mare very well. Plus, he throws wonderful canters and temperaments. This is my three and a half year-old, his 14th ride. He also hacks down the road and has encountered all kinds of trucks and things with absolutely no problem.!
His semen is hard to find because it’s not being imported currently, but I know people have some stashed away.

IMG_9133|613x500

2 Likes

Secret babies are definitely some of the easiest to start and get going. Big old goofy dolts, love everyone, everything and not flustered by much. Would definitely temper down the hot-ness of your mare. And beautiful, from the ones I’ve seen!

2 Likes

Oh boy, Secret does look absolutely lovely. But seems still unavailable. And Mare is a coming-fourteen maiden, so probably easier to stick with cooled for now.

Any good substitutes for Secret? I feel a rabbit hole in my future…

1 Like

Well, his sire is Szechuan. I believe he reliably throws the great canters. Not sure about the temperament.
Szechuan has many many licensed sons, possibly some in America I don’t know about!

There are several very active Warmblood breeders pages on Facebook. This seems like a great question for them.

1 Like

I’m not a dressage person so not much help but I know someone with a yearling by Louisville and he is leggy, beautiful, and soooo sweet.

1 Like

Bummer, looks like most of Secret’s get are still in Europe. I only found Segretto in NA, and he doubles up on Sandro Hit and there’s Caprimond in there, which, while not a bad thing by itself, is not a strength given my mare already has some from the Contucci side (but he also looks lovely!). Good idea to try the Facebook page, although I feel like I get better quality answers here.

Look and see what Dreamscape is standing at stud. They have a lot of different types of stallions and I have read that Jennifer is very helpful about what each stallion produces. Ditto Iron Springs and Hilltop. There are more in Canada but I don’t know all the names. A lot of the breed associations are running stallion auctions these days (if they have not already ended) and that will give you a lot of ideas. Also Diesel CF who is a full brother to Damsey FRH and out of an incredible producing mare.

Some of the Dutch stallions have incredible canters but probably won’t add in “chill”.

1 Like

Oh good idea to ask at Dreamscape. I always forget about them. I did ask Hilltop (they suggested Louisville), and Iron Springs and High Point are also on the table!

Interesting that you mention Diesel, as someone in another post just mentioned him also. I had not heard of him prior and he sounds like just what I’m looking for, plus I am a sucker for a stallion with a performance record. Have you used him, or know any of his get?

I tried to use Damsey many years ago before he became an international star but my mare didn’t cooperate. It was my mare that was a no go and I sold the last dose and that person got a beautiful filly. Damsey’s dam produced 2 international horses including Damsey who was #3 in the world and Dayonara van der Helle ((sp?) and also Diesel who has been campaigned by his amateur owner so good genetics there. The filly that was by Damsey was really lovely and got sold to one of Hilda Gurney’s students I was told.

1 Like

Did Deborah breed this mare? Regardless, see if you can see Deborah P Harrison’s FB page, and I’d also check out Bailey Ranch Breeders (on FB). They have used this mare’s lines and the lines you are looking at extensively. They would be a great resource for you and a lot of these crosses are on their FBs.

Gaudi has produced a lot of nice offspring and I believe held the highest number of premium foals in the US last year. He tends to stamp a good hind, nice gaits and a great brain. The Totilas line tends to produce very free shoulders. He is just starting to have offspring under saddle - breeders have reported very easy babies. His fresh semen is also quite good with an unconditional LFG. I love my Gaudi and he did improve my mare’s canter. He also made her a bit more modern.

McKenzy JHL is a new addition to the US and is a valuable source of Gelders blood. Gelders blood tends to produce uphill, substantial builds with good temperaments. They generally have good movement with a good jump as well.

Pharaoh DG is similar with a higher percentage of gelders blood - he tends to produce substance, size and good temperaments.

Louisville has very similar breeding to Everdale and Glamordale, both wonderful stallions. I will say that these two do not seem to produce a strong stamp but produce nice foals.

I do have a fresh semen contract with Gaudi for sale - I retired the mare I intended to use it with. If you decide to go with Gaudi and are interested, feel free to PM me.

Your mare is lovely, by the way.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the response! Great info.

She was not bred by Deb Harrison, though I realize she looks just like what you would typically find on Deb’s ranch! She was bred by a small breeder in Washington state (who I don’t believe breeds anymore, but produced a few nice foals, and certainly did well with this combo!).

This is great to know of Gaudi - one thing that left me waffling is I couldn’t really find any good videos of his canter. The only one I can find is of him pogo-ing around during an inspection. I know he had a career-ending neck injury but I kind of wish they could get a few laps of him on the lunge in loose side reins or something, just to see how he moves over his back.

All great info, thank you! McKenzy seems like another with a performance record and good brains. I’m not opposed to younger stallions, but so much more of a gamble I guess.

And I may ping you about Gaudi! He’s seeming to be more and more of a contender. By the books he seems perfect.

Aww, thank you. She always looks so plain to me when she’s just standing there, but she’s an absolute ferrari under saddle and so sweet in the barn. I know I’m biased but I think she’s pretty special :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Agree completely. His FB page used to have a picture of him on the longe, over bent and impeding movement. The videos are not great either. The video of him at stallion selections I think is alright. I choose him for a variety of reasons (trusted the conformation, proven lines, movement despite hindrances) but mainly because I was using a maiden mare, I needed a really good fresh contract (I did end up inseminating 4 times :grimacing: so LFG contract was a smart move), I wanted the Trak blood from the sire line for athleticism and I think it’s hard to go wrong with De Niro on a damline. The mare I used is an imported GOV mare. Older style, heavier boned mare who is very well put together, a very nice mover but needed a touch of refinement, a touch more athleticism and uphill stature, and a better canter. I got all of that. The mare has a saintly temperament but the breeders I’ve spoken to all agree that the temperament he produces is extremely sweet and easy. I was going to rebreed again but like I said, I had to retire the mare. So needless to say, I’ve very happy with the results!

Oh, there are also tons of Gaudi offspring on FB if you search for some key terms like “Gaudi.”

Either way you go, please let us know and post updates! I also think the Gelders blood could be very interesting. You have picked solid choices IMO. And if you are interested in the Gaudi contract I have, feel free to PM me. Scott is perfectly fine with a transfer and he is great to work with, too.

1 Like

I would reach out to Chelsey Sibley at Sky Ranch in Sonora. She has a lot of mares with similar bloodlines to your mare and she has videos of a lot of different crosses. She will also tell you if she has tried a similar cross and found it to be AA suitable or a pro ride. She also stands some nice stallions herself.

1 Like

Thank you! Unfortunately one of her stallions is a little too closely related (via Vosmaer) for my taste, and the other seems more jumper bred. But I agree she might have seen which Ijsselmeer crosses worked/didn’t work.

1 Like