Unlimited access >

Stallion suggestions for TB mare?

I am working on a list of stallion possibilities for a recently purchased TB mare for next years breeding. I have already acquired a short list but am looking for more suggestions. Goal is to produce a quality eventing prospect for myself.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/saintly+one2

There are some things that I like about her pedigree, others I could do without (like going back to Mr. Prospector 3 times). The main reasons I purchased her were that I like her type (uphill build, nice shoulder, good bone) and she has a lot of heart. She was retired from racing due to two broken bones in her RF leg after having a horse come down on her in the gate and she still finished second in that race. Despite having arthritis in that ankle she is a lovely mover, although I would never want to try putting her into work. She does have “off” days, mostly revolving around weather changes from what I’ve noticed. I do not have any current photos since purchasing her but can get some.

I am open to any warmblood registries at this point as I am just making a preliminary list. Irish or Oldenburg was my original plan but I have found some other studs that interest me.

One concern of mine is getting her approved. I feel confident that she will pass on all fronts other than possibly her movement because she will have a significant gimp on a bad day. Otherwise her trot is floaty and long-strided with a fair amount of suspension for just being pasture fit. Any thoughts on if judges are understanding of things such as this? The injury was due to external forces, not something she was predisposed to. I have seen them pass mares with this type of injury and noticeable limp within their breed but have no experience with the subject on a TB mare.

Thanks in advance!

Video? Pictures?

Hard to offer insight based on not knowing how she moves or her conformation.

On the other hand, her sire side is predisposed to breakdown. Whether that is because of fragility or a combination of early precociousness, I can’t say.

Her dam side is lovely and iMHO salvages the rest of the pedigree, but unless she is a 10/10 mover I would not breed her lightly. As of now, you have an unproven, unregistered mare - you’ll have to do a fair bit of work to get her & foal inspected and/or approved and in the long run it may be easier and more financially sound to just buy the product/foal you want that is already on the ground, approved, and bred for eventing.

Some conformation shots would help. I use a steeplechase bred TB mare here in Ireland. Her 6yo by Iroko just won his first entered 1* international last week. I had a daughter in jump training who in 12 shows did 80 up to 1.10 registered and 1.20 unaffiliated. The biggest thing I have to do is less size and compact. As described in the Horse&Hound, the eventer is 16.3 and about 19 hands long. Still described as immature. Nearly every event he’s leading after dressage. This year she has a colt foal by Royal Concorde who is a great mix of warmblood and Irish. Next year she’ll go back to him for her last foal which I hope is a filly.

I will say unless you know the damline hard to tell what consistency will come down the line. I have to thank my mare for breeding pretty consistently. I would choose a stallion who has kids out doing stuff. One that compliments her and talk to people that know what those lines bring in the stallion side. I had the benefit of knowing my mare’s dam and siblings. And more research into the damline revealed a TB stallion approved for breeding with the KWPN.

Terri

Here is a link to 3 photos of her. The two in which she is darker and dappled were right after she came off the track and the other is from tonight. I am well aware that she needs her feet trimmed, its happening this weekend.

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/UAC_Eventing/library/

As for cheaper to just buy one, in my case it isnt. I have ran the numbers and, in my particular situation, can produce one cheaper than I can buy a 10k weanling. Yes, that includes feed, upkeep, and vet costs.

Thank you both for the input.

You can probably get a foal from an ISR-approved TB mare with no sport record for around $5k, no waiting, which is sadly the minimum you will have invested in a foal with stud fee to a decent stallion, vet fees, inspections, and feeding mare for a year. $10k foals are likely from mares who are proven in some fashion, so comparing apples and oranges.

Jennifer

OP, I can’t get the pedigree link to open for some reason, but I like the looks of her, and like how you have described her. I love a tough race mare.
You would be able to get a vet’s note about her injury which would explain her soreness to the inspectors.
Have a look at the stallions standing at Dreamscape in BC. I am not sure of their current lineup, but they always have some lovely horses. It doesn’t hurt that they are in Canada, and the US dollar is still stronger.
I bred my young TB mare to a horse here in Ontario called VDL Windsor - he is beautifully bred (Indoctro - Ahorn) a proven performance horse, and his offspring are winning in the jumper and hunter ring. The youngster I got from the breeding is tall, incredibly athletic, and a fabulous mover. VDL Windsor has a FB page.

I don’t breed for eventing, so I’m not going to try to give advice on a stallion. I’d just like to point out that your mare is registered and the KWPN will give foals out of TB mares foalbook papers without inspecting the mares if you use one of their stallions. They also allow registration by mail, saving you the not insignificant funds involved in getting a mare and foal inspected.

Something to think about if you find an appealing KWPN stallion. :slight_smile:

No suggestions but I’m drooling over some of the names on the bottom side of her pedigree. Kingmambo and Verbatim are two of my favorite sires. Shame they are so far back.

I know nothing about Baghdad other than that I’ve been told rather condescendingly in the past that I’m supposed to value his blood, so there’s that, too.

Didn’t Crafty Prospector get a Rolex horse, too? Or am I misremembering? And I really think Unbridleds Song blood will be showing up in the sport horse world a lot in the future once it has more years to trickle down.

Pictures aren’t great but she sure looks rangy. Good luck with your search!

ThirdCharm, thank you for the correction on the pricing. As I said, I have ran the numbers on the breeding as well as monthly expenses. I work for a large animal vet and it has it’s perks.

Thank you very much for the insight Fred! She is a granddaughter of Unbridled’s Song through her sire which is the cause for debate. However, she ran from 2011 until her injury in 2014 rather consistently, which I like. She has King Mambo and Summing on the bottom third gen back. I will look into their stallions. Thanks again!

Tuckawayfarm, I had heard that about KWPN. I love several stallions standing at Hilltop and have also added Dante MG to my list for further investigation. Do you know anything about him?

Texarkana, I hadn’t heard that about Crafty Prospector but will now have to do some more research! Thanks for that insight! I like her bottom side too and personally don’t have much against the Unbridled line. I’ve ridden a couple of good ones but am well aware that there are bad ones out there also. Depends on the individual. Thank you! I will try to update with more/better pictures as I get a chance to get them.

A few stallions I am considering currently are Tatendrang, Erhentanz, and Bridon Beale Street. Any thoughts on them?

Tatendrang really stamps his get (in a good way!) --which is what I think great sires do.

Not sure how high a level of competition you plan to event at, but there are Cleveland Bay crossbreds who are quite successful in jumping, Fox Hunting, Eventing, for AOs wanting to have a good time. Not everyone rides like Buck Davidson on the high powered upper level horses, so “kinder” horses to enjoy can be a direction to consider.

I am not that into Eventing, but like a horse who can jump a few jumps when needed, so always consider that in breeding horses. We breed for our own uses of Driving, but at times a horse doesn’t work for that and needs to be sold on. The more abilities the horse has, the more places he can be used.

The pure Cleveland stallion Knaresborough Fusilier, is now available with shipped semen from Indiana. His new owner is an Amish man, but horse is in an excellent facility for reproduction services. Fusilier has two young horses in Eventing this year, Chakola’s Foreman and Epiphany Bay Independence. I believe they are both pure Cleveland. The partbred Clevelands are lighter built than the purebreds, have more speed and not so massive. I understand these two young horses are showing well, moving up the levels. We have two young partbred Cleveland horses, a yearling and 3yr old by Fusilier, with another mare bred back to him for next year.

Our young horses are aimed at Combined Driving careers, which require the same kind of athletic abilities as ridden Eventing horses do. They have great minds, are very accepting of all sorts of new or odd things, with sturdy builds, good hoof sizes. Both these two young horses came from Epiphany Bay Farm in Virginia, specializing in Cleveland Bay horses both pure and partbred. They have a FB page to see their animals or contact them. These 2 are full siblings, hoping to have matching gaits, size when we use them in Pairs or Fours to move together easier. Their dam EB Abigail is a Cleveland x TB, though I don’t know her TB lines. She is a nice looking and moving horse. She is bred back to Fusilier for a foal next year. They used the shipped semen, said the stallion owner was easy to work with, semen was in good shape, got the mare bred easily.

Good recommend to us and we took our mare to the facility, left her there to be bred. Only 3 hours from us and easier to do over dealing with Vet, shipping semen and timing the mare. They took great care of our mare, got her in foal on one heat cycle, checked in foal, so we brought her home again. She looked very good. I would take her back to them easily, nice folks to deal with.

Using a Purebred Cleveland stallion, his foals are eligible for registration in the Cleveland Bay Horse Society as Partbreds. Mares can be bred back to Clevelands or other breeds, and still have their foals registered down to 1/8th blood.

The Clevelands are VERY prepotent, put their mark on the foals in bigger bone, size, good disposition, athletic abilities. Color is usually bay but not always. They are fun horses to use and enjoy in many disciplines. Our partbreds as Driving horses need to do Dressage, cross country at required speeds, be agile in timed cones courses. We have also used them as Trail horses, Western both Pleasure and Gymkahna, worked cattle and horses on ranches, Hunt Paces and Pony Club. They do whatever we need and pretty well too. They are smart and easy to live with here. None here are ploddy or dull, which is often a perception of Clevelands. Ours are light, have floating gaits, can be as responsive as you like, not needing to be held together with arm strength. They get good scores in their Dressage tests. Breed is often called WB or other European Registries at shows by bystanders. This since folks “recognize” them as such just looking! Most people are quite amazed when you correct them about breeding being Cleveland, since horses are NOT drafty thick or ploddy!! Lot of wrong perceptions about Clevelands around, passed on by folks with who never saw or dealt with a pure or partbred Cleveland. More “somebody told them” or read something about Clevelands in a book. One wrong notion is that Clevelands are drafty coarse, poorly gaited. They are nothing like the true Drafts or Draft crossbreds. Whole different type of bone and movement.

The number for Fusilier’s owner Ray Yoder is 574-642-1147, which is voice mail. They will call you back, usually early. Stud fee is low because breed is new to Indiana, hoping to get more Amish mares in as well as folks who know the stallion by his older get. Fuslilier is from the UK, imported years ago and of extremely good quality. I think the only stallion advertising is in the local Amish news magazine for Indiana and Ohio. There are other Cleveland Stallions available, but I talked about Fusilier because I am most familiar with him right now, LIKE what he produces. The Epiphany Bay folks were wonderful to buy horses from. They worked daily with the foals, so they were quite domesticated when we picked them up for the 14 hour trip home. Both foals rode home well, ate and drank, layed down some in the trailer box stall. They have continued being nice young horses as time passes and really LIKE people. They are going to be so much fun to use as they get older!!

So putting up another breed idea for you to consider for your future Eventer prospect. We have greatly enjoyed our Cleveland Partbreds for many years of fun and competition.

To add something to the Cleveland Bay thought. They were among the very early stallions imported from England in the foundation of the German WBs, most particularly the Holsteiners. They are a rare and endangered horse breed, and quite excellent all round horses.

Not sure if these guys would be of any interest (since you’re looking maybe at Irish and Old.)
These are in my top 5:
Jackaroo (ISH)
Kanndarco (Old.)
Light my Fire (Han.)
Guess it depends on what you’re looking for in the long run (Ammy safe maybe to Prelim or more UL 2* plus.)
Maybe even Chili Morning or Contenda - I’d do Mighty Magic but people keep saying he throws heavy however to full TB I would think would be fine.
And the list keeps going :wink: