Unlimited access >

Stallion suggestions for TB mare

Hello! First time posting, but I have often scrolled reading comments on other posts for advice so I figured I would consult this forum. I am looking for suggestions for a stallion for my TB mare (not for this year, but possibly next).
First and foremost, I am looking to produce a horse for myself that is capable of at least 3* eventing. I have produced a few homebred connemara crosses to intermediate and 2* and enjoy the process of starting them and taking them as far as they would like to go. I prefer ones that are clever, sporty, blood types that are on the smaller side (~15.3-16.1, as I am not that tall). However, I canā€™t keep them all, so I am certainly open to suggestions that will yield a more commercial foal.
About the TB mare: (16hh, Windsor Castle-Prenup-Explosive Wagon) She is a half sister to my 7yo Conn/TB gelding who I have brought up to the 2* with plans to do more. She has had a couple foals by Connemara stallions (both fresh, AI) prior to me which look like quality foals from what I have seen. She has a lot of substance, especially for a TB, and moves correctly but is not flashy. I have (tried to) attach a photo. She was successful (at a lower level track) and then was a successful hunt horse before being a broodmare (her half brother also is a great hunter). Overall, I personally really like her type and am curious to hear what people think.
As far as stallions, I am open to suggestions of ones available in NA, either fresh or frozen (if good enough quality as I have a good repro vet). I am mostly interested in jumping stallions that can produce both eventers and jumpers. I like the little that I have seen from balou star but am curious if anyone knows more about him. Diamant de revel is another one on my list
TIA

3 Likes

What you choose for a stallion for her is entirely dependent on your own thoughts on the subject. What I may choose may be different from what you may choose, but everyone is free to pursue their own course of action. Whether you are right or wrong gets proven out in the long run, and is also dependent on so many other things in life, other than just pedigree.

For me, soundness, athletic ability, and disposition that a stallion has produced rank pretty high. But you have to have personally met and known large numbers of a stallionā€™s offspring to know what he has produced previously to be able to form an opinion about them. Of course, young stallions donā€™t have enough offspring to be able to generalize on this. Then you have to decide if you are going to go the AI route, which broadens your choices, or if you are going live cover only, which limits your choices to what is available locally. AI will likely be more expensive, and less likely that you will know ā€œpersonallyā€ the stallionā€™s previous offspring, if they are remote from you.

Selection in breeding choices is always a very personal thingā€¦ what you find interesting, and what is important to you. There are never any guarantees of success, no matter what choices you make. Good luck, and enjoy the process!

What do you want to improve on her? Do you want a better canter, more uphill front end, better feet, etc? What do you like most about her, that youā€™d like to ā€˜keepā€™ - can you look at her babies and see anything consistent in them vs their sires?

Having a short list of things youā€™d like to improve will help - established stallions tend to be known for stamping their offspring with certain traits. Start there, and the knowledgeable posters here (not me!) might be able to give suggestions.

Things I like about the mare:
Conformationally: SI placement, length and angles of the hip, length of back, neck set, height, overall proportions, and balance

Temperament: very sweet, willing, and trainable

Athletic ability: great gallop, will make a good shape over a fence, has correct gaits that are smooth

I would love to keep all of these qualities from the mare, and Iā€™m looking for a stallion that will:

1. Add scope (and good front end technique important for eventing)
  2. Improve quality of gaits (for eventing dressage)
  3. Not drastically change height of the mare (16h)
  4. Improve or not detract from mareā€™s gallop and blood (type, not %)
  5. improve or not detract from mareā€™s temperament and rideability but some added ā€œspiceā€ is totally fine with me, haha!

Obviously, I know nothing is guaranteed in breeding, and I definitely plan to reach out to the owners of the mareā€™s previous foals to get a better sense of what, and how consistently she passes on these traits- which certainly may influence my decision.
But, if anyone has any personal experience with stallions, or their get, that possess some/all of the qualities that Iā€™m looking for, or advice on ones that definitely donā€™t (haha), all advice is much appreciated!

To me, balou star looks like something I would want to ride. But from what I can tell, heā€™s mostly been crossed with heavier European mares, so Iā€™m not sure how he would cross with a TB.

Diamant de Revel is a nice type and has produced some good jumping horses, plus I like the combination of Diamant de semilly and quidam de revel blood. Iā€™ve only known one by him that I was not impressed with however (not sure whether that is attributable to him or the dam), so I was hoping someone may have more personal experience with him or those lines to educate me on how or if he stamps his offspring?

Doug Payneā€™s stallion Quiberon

1 Like

Ask www.majesticgaits.com who is selling fresh semen or frozen semen in NA of all the top quality stallions of www.vdlstud.com cause they breed quality. Holstein stallions. Who can jump and have the movement as well.

Diarado comes to mind if you are looking for something smaller and likely to move and jump well and be rideable.

1 Like

Oooh, agree with @weixiao. Diarado babies are extremely athletic and talented, but he does tend to throw smaller.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve read that he doesnā€™t add size but I also know of a few by him that are huge (still very talented though), maybe thatā€™s from the mare?

From what Iā€™ve heard from most breeders is that Diarado is a refining stallion. But of course Iā€™m sure there are some outliers! Might depend a lot on the mare.

just FYI ā€¦ there was an error on the pedigreequery profile for this mare. The wrong Windsor Castle was listed as the sire. I have corrected it and the new profile is accurate.

Interestingly, the correct pedigree is listed on allbreed

Welllllā€¦if you are wanting a smaller horse, you could breed her to an Arabian stallion and get an Anglo Arab , very probably in your height range.
Your mare is lovelyā€¦and canā€™t help but think youā€™d get a beautiful athletic baby that loves people, has a lot of endurance and very smart.