Unlimited access >

Stallions for TB Mare (VA)

[QUOTE=CupOJavaa;8694266]

I very much appreciate your input on Default and Innkeeper. If you don’t mind, what makes you value Innkeeer as a stud more so than Default? [/QUOTE]

If your goal is a TB sporthose, the two stallions aren’t even in the same stratosphere IMO.

Default only has 4 registered TB foals. Four. I saw 2 of them years ago. I don’t know if maybe he’s been used for outcrosses or if his people just chose not to register his foals, but the horse has been at stud a loooong time and appears to have little to show for it. To my knowledge, Default has never been presented to any inspection and has not done any under saddle competition apart from his racing career. If he has, it has not been made public.

I saw Innkeeper quite a bit in the early to mid 2000s, watched him go through his RPSI inspection, and watched several of his foals showing in hand and at inspections. Innkeeper is the whole package for a stallion. Big, correct, athletic, fabulous temperament, etc. Hilltop Farm recognized it, accepted him as part of their guest stallion program, and bred some of their own mares to him; if anyone can separate the sh*t from the shinola when it comes to sporthorse potential, it’s them. Innkeeper has evented himself, albeit at the local level. He has also hunted, was shown in hunters and dressage, etc. all while ridden by amateurs. When looking for a sport horse stallion, I just think it’s nice to know they can actually do the sport.

Of course, this is all just my two cents. And I’m also incredibly biased having dealt with one stallion more than the other.

ETA: I found this article from 2013 which says Innkeeper, at the time, was only available AI. That may (or may not) be a deal breaker for you.

[QUOTE=CupOJavaa;8694410]
Thank you VirginiaBred (neighbor!). Friend-Or-Foe looks a bit straight in the hind end though. Future stifle issues?? I will look at his offspring as well. I know I can only be so picky! I think proven foals give any sire good credit. [/QUOTE]

I’ve seen some nice foals by him. I’d suggest a road trip to see him in person (and some of his get). Phyllis and Robin are always happy to show off their horses! :slight_smile: It’s not far!

Phyllis has a wonderful eye for a sport horse stallion. I had a Castle Magic son with all the talent in the world. I did the Junior Jumpers with him back in the day. He could jump anything and was a lovely mover with the best canter. He is buried out under my spruce trees.

Thanks a bunch for adding her, Simkie. This’ll be fun. :winkgrin:

Nootka, he is absolutely beautiful!! And I do love the breed. It’s just kind of sad to me that it’s so difficult to find TBs who stand out to me like this guy. Just my opinion.

Ahh, thanks again Texarkana. I haven’t looked at either Default or Innkeeper in detail yet, but I am making a list and will sit down and do some heavy research soon. I’ll take those two cents you gave me and save it.

VirginiaBred, I can’t argue with that. It’d probably be a sin not to take a peek, what with him being so close. Especially with fordtraktor’s vote for Phyllis.

double

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8694153]
Another in the area I’d strongly recommend is Swiss Yodeler in Charles Town, WV. Pedigree is here. He favors his father, Eastern Echo, a lot. While he may not look like much, he has some of the sportiest bloodlines alive. This claim is supported by the fact that Eastern Echo got a disproportionate number of steeplechasers and sport horses in his career despite only siring 500 some foals between his time in KY and MD and not specifically standing to either of those disciplines. I’ve seen a lot of Swiss Yodelers from his time out in CA- I think you have to be a bit careful about conformation, but when they are good, they are darn good.

The same farm in WV has several nice stallions to choose from. It may be worth a trip.

A friend used to stand Default back in the early 2000s. I ended up caring for a couple by him. They were always nice. But personally, if it were between Default and Innkeeper for myself, I’d go Innkeeper every time. Innkeeper’s only fault is that no one has properly promoted him online. His time at Hilltop helped, but then no one followed up. He has a lot of successful kids out there-- maybe not “Olympic” level, but doing their jobs and doing them well.

Apparently my old vet from college stands Big Picture… haven’t heard that name in years. She did not have him when I was there, but gosh, I feel like he and I crossed paths. Maybe it was a similarly named horse. I can tell you she’s good people to deal with.[/QUOTE]

We have a Swiss Yodeler Daughter here that just had her first foal by our Connemara Stallion Blue Moon–the colt is fantastic, we really like him. BIG gallop, great type, conformation and substance and so very athletic. The mare is bred back again for next season. Here is a fun photo of Bounce (2016 colt sired by R Blue Moon and out of Manzanita/Swiss Yodeler).

I would love to have another Swiss Yodeler.

I have always liked Friend or Foe a lot. Any horse who can go from stakes winner to a breeding stallion who also competes in the hunter ring earns a great deal of respect from me. :yes:

[QUOTE=goodpony;8695989]
We have a Swiss Yodeler Daughter here that just had her first foal by our Connemara Stallion Blue Moon–the colt is fantastic, we really like him. BIG gallop, great type, conformation and substance and so very athletic. The mare is bred back again for next season. Here is a fun photo of Bounce (2016 colt sired by R Blue Moon and out of Manzanita/Swiss Yodeler).

I would love to have another Swiss Yodeler.[/QUOTE]

That foal photo is priceless!

Swiss Yodeler looks like a smaller version of his sire, Eastern Echo, with a pedigree that is possibly even more sporthorse friendly with Bold Ruler and Hoist the Flag up close. While I have never met Swiss Yodeler myself, I was blessed to get to know Eastern Echo in his last year of life and had quite a few by him. He sired some of the most athletic and beautiful horses I have ever met. Off the top of my head, he sired 4* eventer Sound Prospect, who finished 16th at Rolex this year, G1 steeplechaser Popular Gigalo, and so many horses out there eventing and foxhunting at the local levels.

Just trolling the internet, I see a good number of Swiss Yodelers competing at local levels of sport, which makes me think his get are very similar to his father’s in terms of athletic ability and temperament. He’d be near the top of my list if I was considering non-purpose bred TB race sires for eventing, even though he does not necessarily look the part. :yes:

Check out Pat Dale’s stallion “Weave it to Me” by Bernardini, gorgeous horse, and jumps. He’s standing at Leslie Condon’s place in Ranson WV. I think he’s on Pat’s facebook page “Three Plain Bays”

Thank you for your inputs on Swiss Yodeler and Friend Or Foe, goodpony and Texarkana. I’m putting personal marks under each stallion’s name.

I am just in love with that photo! Haha! What a capture.

GestALTER, I managed to hunt down Leslie’s contact for more info on Weave It To Me. Didn’t have any luck looking online. Waiting to hear back. Thanks!

[QUOTE=Nootka;8694885]
Ok I am putting him out there because he is one of my top list stallions. He is located in FL but does event so maybe if he competes in a VA show you can go see him. It will have to be AI but worth it.

Eventing Trakehner
http://www.emeraldacrestk.com/tatendrang--pb-.html

just because it was easy to do
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/dbtestmating.php?&sireid=10556288&damid=11215118[/QUOTE]

Thanks :slight_smile: Although Tate is in AL really (I live in FL LOL) but we are frequently on the road so it seems like he lives in both FL and AL. :slight_smile:

Now - how the heck do I change the baby (2 year old) photos of Tate on that site?? I’ve been playing with it for ever to put up something more updated but cannot for the life of me figure it out! although seeing the baby photos brings back so many emotions, but I imagine people would rather see him now as a mature stallion LOL.

[QUOTE=acottongim;8697369]
Thanks :slight_smile: Although Tate is in AL really (I live in FL LOL) but we are frequently on the road so it seems like he lives in both FL and AL. :slight_smile:

Now - how the heck do I change the baby (2 year old) photos of Tate on that site?? I’ve been playing with it for ever to put up something more updated but cannot for the life of me figure it out! although seeing the baby photos brings back so many emotions, but I imagine people would rather see him now as a mature stallion LOL.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the sport horse database pics?

From this page, I think you just click “change picture” :slight_smile:

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?showpic=10556288&time=1439125103

YES!!! Apparently I was computer illiterate today and couldn’t find that link! :).

Just click on his picture on his main page to get there :slight_smile: (It’s not super intuitive! I expected to find something under “edit horse”…)

acottongim, handsome boy you have there! You guys should come to Virginia. :wink:

I have made my list and contacted all but two stallions of interest. I found another one too on my internet hunt for contacts…Fun and Fancy Free. Opinions on this guy? He is just down the road from me, so that’s a plus.

I tried to make an account with that Sporthorse-Data website to look at future offspring between my mare Jolly Janet and Friend Or Foe (he needs to be added) but for some reason I am not getting the email to activate it. If anyone wants to do that then that would be just splendid…:smiley:

Weave it to me

[QUOTE=CupOJavaa;8697221]
Thank you for your inputs on Swiss Yodeler and Friend Or Foe, goodpony and Texarkana. I’m putting personal marks under each stallion’s name.

I am just in love with that photo! Haha! What a capture.

GestALTER, I managed to hunt down Leslie’s contact for more info on Weave It To Me. Didn’t have any luck looking online. Waiting to hear back. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Send Pat Dale or Three Plain Bays a friend request on facebook, I think she just sent him there a week or so ago.

I got ahold of Leslie and have been in touch with her via email. Thanks!

I am going out to take a look at Fun and Fancy Free this afternoon since he is an easy hour away. I’ve found that he produces “hunter types,” but I am interested in eventing so we shall see. Joan has a few of his youngsters at her place as well which is great, so I can take a look at them.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

My stallion Noles has produced some nice eventers hunters and jumpers. Good movers. He is 15.2 1/2. Offspring ranges from 15.2 to 16.2. I am located in Gordonsville.

Fun and Fancy Free has some of the great USET jumper and eventer sires in his pedigree, as well as Ballycor tail female. This is one of the very, very few purpose bred for sport TB lines left in America.

For some unknown reason, the USET bred Ballycor to Winged T four or five times.

I think innkeepers owner also has a nice half bred approved son…but I love mr Tate…he has it all …jump movement looks and stamps his get.