Unlimited access >

Stallions for TB Mare (VA)

There is a palomino JC Innkeeper son standing in Minnesota area but competing in eventing named Goldhaven. He was in VA until last year but may come back as I think he is on lease.
https://m.facebook.com/goldhavenstallion/

And the approved half warmblood Innkeeper son Innverness is being promoted again at a great fee this year by Ursula.

[QUOTE=CupOJavaa;8694082]

I did look at Salute the Truth and liked him, but he retired from stud duty this year at just 20 years old. Shoot![/QUOTE]

Yes - we did have to retire ā€œWillyā€ this year but it was not due to his age (which is actually 21, not 20). He suffered a neurological event that made his hind end very weak and unstable. We have treated him for EPM and, while he has improved, he is not strong or coordinated enough to breed a mare or mount a phantom. We also are not sure how the neurological event or the EPM treatments affected his fertility. Perhaps heā€™ll be back in the action next year, but even if he isnā€™t, he is otherwise happy and healthy and will have a very good retirement here.

1 Like

I like his very much also! Give us a report back please :slight_smile:

The TB breeding season is pretty much closed, but for future reference and if willing to go outside VA I am very happy with the TB colt out of my smallish TB mare by Medallist here in PA. He is 16h , well tempered and very good sport pedigree. Also had a very nice set on neck for a TB. I got a lovely moving foal with a super easy temperament out of a snarky mare. The board and vet fees at Northview were reasonable and the care was very good .
http://www.northviewstallions.com/index.php/stallions/pa-sires/medallist

Donā€™t know if you are still looking, but I would recommend making a trip to the Charles Town area to see both stallions and their offspring. There is such a concentration of farms there and you could make a couple of stops and see a lot of horses. Also, the Fasig Tipton yearling sale at Timonium (late Sept./early Oct.) is a great place to see many offspring of regional stallions all in one place.

I have a TB stallion standing in VA (J Jā€™s Lucky Train) though he just has his first foals on the ground this year. So far they are all looking like future athletes like dad.

Hilltopfarmva, Iā€™m having trouble with the link you provided and also finding your farm on FB. Maybe itā€™s just too late and I need to go to bed and try again in the morning haha.

I did look at Fun and Fancy Free and although I liked him, I donā€™t think he is the right match for my mare. All of his babies that I saw at the farm were HUGE bodied and they were generally just very heavy. Fancy is a big boy for sure. Oh my goodness was he sweet though. And definitely flashy and attractive. But my mare is already good boned and fairly thick, so I donā€™t think a cross between the two would be ideal for an eventer. If you want a hunter though, go and look for yourself!

omare, I wouldnā€™t mind hearing more of this Mr. Tate.

Appā€™nover, I will look those names up!

Erin Pittman, very happy to hear your boy is doing well. Thanks for chiming in. :slight_smile:

Camohn, there is one other stallion in PA that I wouldnā€™t mind seeing. Iā€™ll look more into the one you mentioned. If theyā€™re nearby one another, it would worth a trip.

Virginia Horse Mom, Nobb Hill looks stunning. I looked into him in some depth and would consider him, but I never did receive an email or call back from Hyperion. Unfortunately, such was my experience while stallion searching. I must have phoned and emailed a dozen and ended up really hearing back and talking seriously with four people. Two in nearby VA, one in PA, and one in Charles Town. I have spent hours stallion searching and was actually pretty surprised and disappointed to find out how little stations are marketed. Even when I did find websites, there was an average of one photo and a little bio. I have not been to look at the stallion in Charles Town or PA yet, but so far I am really liking Just A Devil. He had a son at the same farm when I went to see him who I adored. All of his daughters there were friendly enough. And he himself was impressive. Quite a presence that one has. He was a bit lame when I saw him move but still trotted out nice and big. I will be going to look at him again to decided for sure (after I research these new suggestions!).

JJ, thank you for the information! It probably would be a good idea to make up a list of stallions in Charles Town and make a day of going to see them. Hmmm. Do you have a website that I can see/read about Lucky Train on?

Tateā€™s FB page is in my sig line. :). That has the most up to date photos etc on it. My website is www.emeraldacrestk.com which needs updating again with new approvals, this yearā€™s foal crop etc. if you have any specific questions please donā€™t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

CupOJavaa, I hear you about Fancy being a big boy. Iā€™m flexible with respect to size, as long as temperament stays quietā€¦ So yes still on my list. If you really want the full TB and live cover and eventing, what about Mystic Replica in PA? Heā€™s still on my short list.

Another good field trip option is Willow Hill Equestrian Center. They have a TB stallion named Pericles, who I like in photos and video. But his bloodlines arenā€™t as appealing to me as a few others weā€™ve named. Just my personal preference. Another thought is looking at Super Star while you are there. In general, Akhal Teke wouldnā€™t be of interest, but I have heard really good things about him and his babies. Might be a nice cross for a bigger bodied 15.2 mare and for an eventing prospect.

[QUOTE=CupOJavaa;8782291]

JJ, thank you for the information! It probably would be a good idea to make up a list of stallions in Charles Town and make a day of going to see them. Hmmm. Do you have a website that I can see/read about Lucky Train on?[/QUOTE]

JJā€™s website is jjsluckytrain.com

He was at Little Hawk Farm this year for the breeding season but is now home at my farm in Floyd, VA (near Roanoke/Blacksburg.)

I know a lot of work goes into choosing a stallion. Getting to meet a stallion and some of his offspring is essential, though with a young stallion like mine, there arenā€™t many to see. It takes years, of course, to see how the kids do in their first careers on the track and then how they transition into 2nd careers.

I also find it interesting that more farms do not have better information on websites. I have always found breeding farms happy to show stallions on request so perhaps they are just counting on interested people to visit in person.

is Goldhaven still standing at stud?