Unlimited access >

Stallions going through Keeneland

Are turf races harder to handicap–hence why bettors dislike??

I am guessing the freezing weather shuts down grass racing in northern states and makes it seasonal in half the USA. Is it seasonal in Europe? Thanks!

They are different and can be harder in some ways because the surface has more variability. Some handicappers LOVE them. But you need a different strategy than dirt, and when you have hundreds of dirt races and only a few turf races, it’s easy to just go play what you know you will be successful at.

Obviously no bettors in the UK have a problem with turf races.

Playing KY Downs has become really popular because you have full fields, good odds, and low takeout. But, when KY Downs was making its comeback, they needed to do things like put their races in Pick 3s, Pick 4s, etc. with another KY dirt track to get peoples attention.

Beowulf, I can’t located a decent pic of Galawi. I did, however, find his winning race. He has the European turf of foot! https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/usa/bel/2021/6/27/3/race-3-msw-at-bel-on-6-27-21

Not my photo - from Emian Photography on FB:

2 Likes

he is lovely! I’m seriously considering my Invincible Spirit mare for him.

Ooooh :heart_eyes:

That shoulder, hip, and his stifle placement. I like him.

:thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t know who runs that FB page but they turned the announcement into a guessing game. :roll_eyes:

The direction the clues seem to be headed is he’s moving to PA… Cabin Creek it seems.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Anyone know what his temperament is like? It seems like he could be a nice sport horse stud.

Every time I have met him, he has seemed fine. Typical boy- not super cuddly or anything and may take a nip at you for fun, but not mean or crazy.

I think he was pretty sensible when training from what I remember.

For $1,000, I think he is an intriguing prospect for sport. I wonder if they would be willing to cover non-TB mares.

He’s not owned by Cabin Creek, they are just standing him. Someone named Ryan Campbell bought him who apparently has been affiliated with him since he was in Indiana and is the person behind the FB page from what I’m reading. I don’t personally know that name.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Really great information! I’d love to see a video of him moving free. Not that I’m breeding, but I think that’s some fascinating stuff.

I live one town over from Bernville when I’m up north, and I’ve never heard of this farm. Wild.

Behesht and Snapy Halo are the only Calumet stallions left in the sale.

Behesht: Hammer $3,500.

Snapy Halo: Hammer $1,500.

Ouch.

They could be RNA. Can’t tell yet.

I have no idea why I’m following this, but Behesht just sold for $3,500. It’s too bad they didn’t have any video included in the catalog to get a sense if he’s riding sound. For a second there I thought "well my barn does have space and experience with stallions… " haha.

1 Like

Wonder who got him. That is an absolute steal.

1 Like

Yeah now I’m wondering if that idea wasn’t so crazy after all.

They could be. But if the market values them so low, where are they going to end up?