Unlimited access >

Stalls - your experience on time to rusting in the south?

Looking at buying stall fronts now and wondering if paying more for galvanizing or powdercoating is worth it.

So what kind of stalls do you have? Painted, galvanized and powdercoated or powdercoated only?

How long until they rusted? are we talking a difference of 1 year vs 10 years or 10 years vs 15 years?

Where are you located? A humid wet place like FL is where these stalls will reside.

My stall fronts are home-made. They’re pretty hefty 1" bar stock painted with rustoleum primer followed by 2-3 coats of rustoleum gloss black. They’ve been in use now for over 10 years. The only rust is where the horses have scraped paint off or near the feed holes where horses dribble grain.

OTOH, I’ve seen purchased stall fronts with various finishes show rust and corrosion far quicker and worse than mine. I think it has more to do with the quality and gauge of the steel beneath the finish.

Will the company give you references of other customers that live in similar climates?

I have wood fronts. No rust.

The people next door to me (west TN) have a Morton barn. After 4 years the stall front paint was quite severely chipped and they were starting to rust. It was primarily on the bottom where the bars me the ‘u-channel’ that sat on the wood. Can’t say if it is Morton/ user error…

I did the same as shakeytails. 15/16" steel pipe that I cut/ painted all myself. Mine have only been up for a year, but so far so good! I do try to keep them clean, but you know how that goes. All of my bars are separate so if they do start to rust, I could cut it out and jimmy up a replacement. Not so with a prefab stall front.

In Florida I had the typical steel stall fronts and even with primer and paint, they had to be taken down and repainted after a few years. My galvalum fronts are 13 years old and look brand new.

[QUOTE=pcwertb;7241419]
In Florida I had the typical steel stall fronts and even with primer and paint, they had to be taken down and repainted after a few years. My galvalum fronts are 13 years old and look brand new.[/QUOTE]

What brand do you have? Has anyone used the Galvanized Steel Modular Prefabricated Horse Stalls from Country Manufacturing?

http://www.countrymfg.com/modular_stalls.htm

I would never put up bare steel anywhere. Must be galvanized, aluminum or wood. There is a reason, for example, on carports, the plain 14 gauge steel (even with a powdercoat) has a 1 year rust warranty and the 12 gauge galvanized heavy duty steel has a 25 year warranty.

Mine were made locally by the barn builder. Sorry!