Unlimited access >

Standardbreds

Looking at a standardbred 5-year old mare this week at a nearby kill pen. Green on riding but drives well. Gorgeous mover, kind eye, a little thin. Had my vet look at her
video and he didn’t see anything amiss. The fellas that does the videos is pretty good about pointing out owies, tender feet, lost shoes, heat or swelling in legs, cloudy eyes,
etc. Trainer and driving friends took a look too. She;s a little younger than I’d hoped for, but seemed to have her act together. Hopefully, tomorrow I can learn more about
her background. No tattoo.

Anyone have experience with the breed? Pros? Cons? Ironically, my first horse came from Shipsewana auction and was thought to be a former Amish buggy horse who
spooked at one too many stop signs. Green under saddle. Had the opportunity after owning him for four years and the gentleman who drove him said he probably had much
more time in harness than under saddle. At the time, I’d had no interest in driving. He hung around until he was 30 but I’d still not gotten the driving bug.

I adopted one from New Vocations. He is an incredibly kind and laid back horse, calm in the face of all the crazy traffic and train noise next to us and just a wonderful horse to own. I don’t drive, though he obviously knows how, he has been retrained to trot and has a lovely one but can occasionally pace. I would have a barn full of this breed!

3 Likes

I have 3 Standardbreds, all off the track, all ride and drive. I can’t say enough good things about the breed. All 3 of mine have very different personalities, but they all try really hard to please, are not spooky, and put up with a lot of “learning curve mistakes.” The breed in general is very durable and sound.

2 Likes

Depending on the killpen location, might just be one totally unsuited for driving in traffic & not worth breeding.
I am near the Shipshe auction & if from there, could likely be an Amish Buggyhorse Fail.
They get advertised as broke to drive on roads as young as 2.
Ad shorthand: TSS = Traffic Safe & Sound

Good luck with her, I love a SB getting a new career.

I don’t own this horse, he is owned by my father – but I am head over heels with my dad’s STB. I am a life-time OTTB rider, and I’ve been riding this STB to get him to be a good citizen for my father (very green re-rider in his 50s who just wants to trail-ride occasionally) and… honestly, I probably don’t even need to ride this guy, he is that much of a saint. I’m actually tempted to steal this horse from him. :winkgrin:

I made a thread about it here –
https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/discussion-forums/off-course/10605884-now-for-some-goodness-hank-the-stb

Hank is so sweet. He’s smart too, and always wants to work with you. He is game for anything. When my main guy was enjoying some time off from a nasty bite, I took Hank to a few off property lessons. My trainer loved him. He’s a good mover, has a great, very elastic trot, and is just the most generous horse ever. He’s so unflappable my SO with no business being on a horse rides him.

I’ve always had good impressions of the breed, though. There were STBs in the riding program I rode in as a teen, and they were always very level-headed and sweet.

Good luck, I’m totally an enabler. :encouragement:

4 Likes

I grew up around STB’s and my first horse was one. Most are level headed, obliging and sweet. I’d have another in a heart beat, but I’m too rickity to go on the hunt for one. However, if one landed in my barn, he could stay :yes:. And most of them love to jump.
If you get her, I hope we can see some pics!

1 Like

I took care of a Standardbred mare, she was one of the horses in my group… she was used as Roadhorse in Kentucky Country fair shows… really a smart horse . She was notorious for stepping on her groom’s feet, she only stepped on me once and the look of out right apology she gave me was actually pretty comical. She knew her job, once her driver fell out of the cart entering the ring, she did the complete class including reversing without a driver, even lined up with the others… was said she would have won only if her driver had been with her.

4 Likes

Two friends I ride with have Standardbreds and their horses are solid, reliable citizens.

1 Like

One of the vets I worked with in PA was commenting on their toughness/sturdiness and said that when the apocalypse comes, all that will be left are cockroaches and Standardbred broodmares 😂

5 Likes

I got her and she’s currently in quarantine for 30 days. Gots to put a lot weight on her. There’s another horse there, a 5 year old bay gelding said to be a thoroughbred but
my guess is appendix with a floating trot to die for. Not as tall…easier for all ladies to climb on. He’s been there several days and not snapped up yet.

4 Likes

😂🤣 And my gelding! He raced ~110 starts, pulled an Amish wagon for about 5 years, then we pulled him from the kill pen. He blew 3 absesses in three different feet and my daughter qualified him to race again at 13 years old last year and then we retired him. She then went on to show him in the walk/trot division at a games show, winning all her classes. Now he’s finally my riding horse. I’m happy if he trots instead of paces when I take him out until i get my balance back and try to canter. He’s 17 hands of wonderful and i can sit on him and laugh when my daughters pet STDB is being a total goof when we ride together. I can’t recommend them enough!

4 Likes