Unlimited access >

Starting up in the Horse World

Hey all,
I’m in New England and I’m looking to start up with a small horse training, and selling business but I don’t know where to start. :confused:
It seems like you can only get started if you’ve already started but you can’t get started because there aren’t any avenues to start.
I used to work in the horse industry but now I work in the Agricultural field which pays the bills but I miss spending time with horse people and working around horses.
:eek:

I’ve tried to reach out to the general new farmer’s community in my area to see if there was any interest in co-building a dual purpose farm but there hasn’t been any interest in what I’m envisioning.
For those of you who have been there and done that- any suggestions?

I don’t come from a horse family and I don’t come from money. I’m just coming out of a difficult financial spell (because of student loans and the bad economy) and I want to get to the next step but I’m out of ideas.
Please help?
I know time heals all but there is only so much daylight in a day and I want to enjoy every minute of it (I that makes sense).

Hmm. If you want to train horses in a competitive market – like southern New England – you’re going to need to be competing and consistently doing well.

Trying to make a profit from buying/selling horses without deep pockets to fund your start up and/or a solid reputation as a trainer, ahhh, nope. Have you heard the saying that the way to make a million dollars in the horse biz is to start with a billion?

I get the dream part, but, I think you’re aiming at an impossible corner of the horse biz given your circumstances. Why not farrier school? Or move to an affordable region without a fully saturated market?

How long have you been in NE, how involved have you been in horses in the area, what discipline and where exactly are you thinking of opening this business? NE is a TOUGH market for horses or just to have a horse in general unless you live in one of the more rural areas…land money people and weather are not helpful at best, no seriously. But depending on the exact area you may have a chance of success with a semirough boarding facility with 24/7 turn out available and an indoor. To sum up most of new england: too many barns and not enough good ones, weather is harsh, land is expensive and scarce…leading to lots of owners/clients/trainers/boarding barns on the low and high ends of the spectrum and not many in the middle. Oh but tons of dunkins

I would find a prospect, like a sound OTTB, and get it going well (w/t/c) and take it to some shows. Getting exposure like that is going to help you immensely. Concentrate on developing a reputation and people will start noticing you and help you build clientele. Search out local Pony Clubs/4-H and maybe offer discount lessons at first. Don’t get hung up on “I’m only buying in re-selling” because you never know, flexibility is key here. You may end up doing more boarding or coaching etc. for example.

Word of mouth is always your best advertisement, be professional and courteous ALWAYS! Never speak ill of your competition and mind your own business. Don’t give up, where there’s a will there’s a way and if you can dream it you can do it!!! A lot of times people aren’t successful because they are that talented, but because they are tenacious and never gave up. They worked hard from the bottom up and just kept going. Good luck to you!

There’s a saying, “Want to make a small fortune in the horse business? Start out with a large fortune”

That imo sums it up, the wealthy can afford to lose money on breeding, sales, etc and if they make $ it’s a bonus, not to pay their bills. That or highly regarded or competent pros who were working students, assistants, showed or graduate equine college…something they did to earn a reputation and a following of paying customers.

The horse sales market stinks for anything but a winning show horse, or highly bred youngster with potential, such a youngster cost $ to even buy green. Unless you own your own farm or can board free in exchange for work, paying the bills on an affordable to buy resale horse for modest profit can wipe out any profit.

If you are coming out of a difficult financial situation, why not just enjoy horses on whatever level you can afford and not try to make it a business, at least for now?

I’m in NE, and I’ll be very frank.

The changing economy has taken a terrible a toll on the mid-to-entry level horse owner around here. Many are either on the verge of leaving the sport, or are cutting every corner possible. It sounds like this is your target market, but, sadly, the chances of a newcomer succeeding at that level are extremely slim at this point.

The very wealthy are doing fine, of course, but they prefer big names, splashy facilities, and horses well outside the price range you’re likely to access.

How about gaining some skill - equine dentistry, massage, etc - that the higher income horseowner might need? In a radically unbalanced economy like this one, I’m afraid that serving this demographic might be your best - or only - bet.

Red Barn, it is what I am observing…except for the wealthy or high professional income person, the middle class/working people that own horses are hanging on by skin of teeth and year by year more giving up. Those that own a horse property outright are in a better position to maintain.

The only other decent market I see are kids/young teens as parents will pay for a kids lessons or pony if they can manage it. I still see many kids riding , in summer camp and at lessons in my barn so that is comforting.

You need a business plan!

OP, you say you want to “get started” and yet you are proposing your starting point as being the lead trainer / boss/ business owner. That’s the end goal, not a starting point.

A real starting point is going to work as an assistant trainer for a few years at an established stable. Build a good showing record, and develop a strong resume in training riders and horses, and most importantly, learn the business side of it.

If you can’t afford the pay cut, and can’t find ways to shed costs to make it happen, then this is one of those tough moments in a grown-up’s life where you accept that it’s not a realistic career option. Maybe then focus on a career path that gets you as much $ as possible, so you can afford nice horses it later in life. Or on a more modest path that allows tons of time flexibility now, so you can ride on a regular basis.

If you are convinced that you already have the riding and training resume that will attract clients, then you need to stop right here and develop a proper, written, well-researched business plan. Here is a template and guide, or you can find a million helpful books on it, also.
If creating the business plan seems like too much work, you are positively not ready to start a business. Co-building a farm? That is an incredibly complex proposal, and a large real estate transaction and liability. So I strongly encourage you to stop making calls to potential partners at this stage. You only get one shot to make a great business proposal, and you could be damaging your future chances by calling when you don’t have a plan that you can articulate or pay for.

Think about how much different the call would go if you
had a business plan, knew your market potential, had a projection for costs and revenue, had identified a property that would work, talked to your local bank or the SBA about financing options, and then invited select partners in to hear a polished presentation on the opportunity.

If you are coming out of a bad financial spell, why take on more debt and financial pressures? Save your money, be glad you have a job with a paycheck and health insurance (hopefully).

If you want to be in the horse business, grab a horse or two off the track or out of a sale barn, and get it sold. If you are really good at selling and marketing, take a horse on commission from someone who wants to sell and can’t get it done. Approach a small barn about hanging out a shingle as a trainer – but I wouldn’t quit your day job to do it.

Like any business, you start small and work your way up. One horse sold, which finances the next one, and so forth. Co-building a farm sounds like a lot of debt and headache, and frankly, if you have bad credit then it’s not going to happen anyway.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you don’t have to build a farm and be the boss, as was said, to be in the horse business.

If I was going to try to be in the horse business, I would find those barns and farms that have lots of horses that need wet saddle blankets and no one to do it for them. Breeders with young horses that need to get started, owners with too many horses and no time to ride them all. If you are good, you will build your brand this way, and can branch out over time.

Above post is a good idea, look for small farms or barns that need a rider and start that part time. That should get you your horse abd horse folk fix and tell you if you really have the 1 riding talent 2 management and finance skills, and 3 people skills to be a successful Pro. Most people don’t but fail to realize it before they sink too much time and money into it. Two out of those three might get you by for a bit but don’t cut it long term. And God help you if (when) you get hurt.

You have also picked about the most expensive area in the country to try to start a business in. Besides land costs, it’s heavily regulated and taxed complicating starting new businesses. The climate doesn’t help lower costs for a boarding/ training business either if you want to operate year round in that location. Big part of what prices entry level clientele out is high operating costs to support an all weather facility. Indoor, lights, some heated areas, an all weather driveway that can be plowed drive up board, training and lesson rates to support them.

But you realistically can’t operate a successful, profit making year round business without them since most potential clients don’t want to “rough it” and won’t be generating any dependable income for you in winter. And you can’t depend on being able to much but hack around a little on good days without an indoor, not get anything done to generate an honest training ride you can bill for.

Might want to rethink some of this. Personally, I’d think of relocating to an area with lower operating costs while still near bigger cities with access to a client base with disposable income. And a climate that allows year round operation without so many extra expenses.