Unlimited access >

Steel toe boots- dangerous?

It is a mistake to think that every pronouncement from a doctor is fully informed*. He’s simply wrong on this. That you hear the myth from multiple people is merely testament to the fact that it’s attractive for people who’d rather not wear steel toe boots. Just like anti-helmet wearers will confidently believe isolated anecdotes that a helmet makes you less safe, while ignoring the mountains of controlled studies with evidence that they make you more safe.

Steel/composite toe boots are required to meet certain testing standards (ANSI) for compression strength. They are required to withstand a weight of at least 2500lb without collapsing. If you have such a crushing injury >2500lb (let’s say, two horses jump on your foot at the same time) it is impossible to state (and implausible to believe) that your toes would have been salvageable if not for the pesky toe cap.

Note–Steel toe footwear does not protect your carpal bones. If that’s a risk for your activity/occupation, you can add spats (which are easily removed once that task is done)

*For example, lots of doctors who aren’t inclined to sports will very authoritatively tell a runner to “stop running” when something’s injured, or say “no running for 6 months”, when meanwhile a sports doctor will approach treatment from a perspective of “what do we need to do to get you back out there in 2 months?” They’re both doctors with the same training, just different biases and probably different commitments to staying current on latest medical info.

20 Likes

I hope the pair you found works, but if not I also recommend looking at Boy’s or Men’s. My “boy” EE are significantly wider then the same brand women’s boot even though the length of the boot is the same.

4 Likes

I agree, I’ve been buying “boys” boots for ever.

5 Likes

My point was that my doctor was previously a longtime professional equestrian, who is very familiar with the types of injuries that could result from being stepped on by horses, and how they compare to the those incurred while wearing steel toe boots. So many doctors are not familiar with equestrian sport, or our requirements as riders, but he is.

I am comfortable relying on his advice, in regards to appropriate footwear for riding horses.

10 Likes

I wear steel toes for work. Because my budget is slim, I wear them around the horses. It is very nice indeed to be able to look down and contemplate the pushy 2000lb draft who is learning his manners and standing on my toe…and say; “over Buddy” in a nice calm way. Rather than ‘oh s—!!’
Now, I don’t ride these guys, just work with them. And it may be that the forces during a riding accident are different. But. To be honest, the only injury I’ve heard of that steel toes may have contributed to? Well, it changed the mechanism of the injury to a shear force instead of a crush force…but it was going to an amputation either way. I’ve seen way more people walking around without any comment because they were wearing steel toes and so the injury simply did not happen. In my opinion, they are similar to seat belts. Yes, we can always find an injury that happened because of the seat belt. What is not recorded is all the injuries that did not happen.

18 Likes

Choose whatever shoes you want, but my point is that you should not continue to spread false information that makes others less safe. You now have the facts-- they’re rated to withstand 2,500lb at a minimum. Unless you’re handling Shires, your horse will not crush a steel toe shoe.

12 Likes

Even Shires won’t! That would be Buddy!
Technically, you would have to have the entire weight of the horse (all other legs off the ground) landing at some speed to even get close to the ratings. I do suspect that way back in the pre OSHA rating days, there were probably some sketchy steel toes and that may be where the idea started?
I would say though, that even more important in a boot is a good heel, way too many these days have small or wedge heels. Good ankle support and good traction as well. I used to hate the fact that tall boots had no traction (at least not back thirty years ago, when I wore them last).
Now, on the flip side, I know some loggers who don’t use them, which seems odd…but they have traded the steel toe off for a more flexible sole, hence better traction, on a log pile. There quite the debate on that.

4 Likes

I’m not spreading false information. I quoted the surgeon who operated on my foot.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, even doctors can spread misinformation and share old wives tales.

I took a look at the literature for anything re: steel toe failure. Failure would be really notable and worth publication–there’s nothing there.

But did turn up these:

“This study demonstrated that the steel toe affords protective advantages in crush injuries to the foot in limiting the number and severity of metatarsal and proximal phalanx fractures

“Although helmets and steel-toed boots are currently unpopular, wearing them is a simple and important safety strategy.”

16 Likes

Maybe the older Steel Toe boots were a problem, and maybe now they are better? IDK. After hearing about a couple people who actually have had issues, that is enough to scare me away from them. Waiting on my new boots from Blundstone. I ordered a pair, but they were too big, so sent back. (thankfully they offered free returns). I appreciate everyone’s input. It makes me have a little more faith in the Steel Toe boots, but I am still wary. And if I can actually find a pair that fits without, then I’ll be happy.

1 Like

I find myself wondering how often horses step or stomp on feet so hard that bones are crushed? In my 30 years with horses I know only one person whose foot was broken by a horse and she was wearing flip flops at the time. I say wear whatever boots are comfortable and keep your feet out of the way! If you are working with a horse who is spooky or disrespectful of personal space, maybe more caution is required.

1 Like

My neighbor, who is a rancher, had his toes crushed last year. He was unsaddling his horse. Something spooked the other horses in the pen nearby and when they took off, my friend’s horse startled and took off too. He stomped my friend’s foot as he launched. Friend was wearing cowboy boots. He’s 60 years old and has ridden virtually every day of his life since age five. Stuff happens.

3 Likes

Crushed? Or just broken?

I have had my big toe broken twice and nail ripped off by a horse stepping on my foot; and had a non-displaced fracture in my arch last year. First two I was wearing regular barn shoes, last I was wearing dress riding boots.

I think the broken toes are pretty common among horse people, not so sure about the crush injuries.

I had a nail salon employee once tell me that they hated working on horse people because they all had wonky toes and toenails.

5 Likes

Yup, broken toes are common. My coach is also a trimmer and gets stepped on regularly. Since she does not bother with xrays or doctors we don’t have confirmation they are broken :slight_smile:

I was handwalking two horses at dusk several winters ago. They spooked and bolted through a gate and I was knocked over and trampled. I had a fracture at the top of my foot, non weight bearing for 5 weeks. Steel toed boots wouldn’t have helped.

2 Likes

This was me six months ago! Hand walking two horses, one spooked straight into me and knocked me down (luckily wasn’t actually trampled). I have no idea if she jumped on my foot, or if the break was caused by the foot twisting as I went down. Regardless, the result was two breaks at the top of the foot and one on the side. I was fortunate to be non weight bearing for only a week, then another 4 with a moonboot. Steel toes wouldn’t have helped, although I do maintain that the fact I was wearing solid boots probably prevented a more serious injury.

I just want to echo this.

Steel toed boots are rated and tested. If you have a concern you can verify that the rating on a particular boot is legitimate and that it meets the standard. The concern about a steel toed boot being worse might be based on maybe some ancient history, but now it is an old wives’ tale and clearly false.

6 Likes

As a teenager I was starting a filly.
After about a handful of rides we went on a trail ride with a small group.
As we were walking by some kids playing soccer, one kicked the ball by her.
She jumped sideways right into a tree.
The front of my right foot was between her belly and the tree.
I ended up with three middle toes mangled and crooked by the time they healed.
Maybe there a steel toe cap could have helped.
Then, how many times would that happen just like that, to how many people?

OP, How was the fit on those boots you ordered? I have wide feet too… like a duck. And very verrry ugly toes, most of the little ones have been broken though i don’t think either of the big toes have (yet).

My steel toe are Globes. The firefighter style, but i don’t wear them working w/horses. Not because of the steel toe, but because they’re not actually mine, they’re provided to my by work.

Around horses i just have my Muckboots and for riding i usually wear knee-high leather boots of various quality/colors and manu.

I have size 5 and size 51/4 wide irons that give me plenty of room to kickout of my stirrups in winter boots.

I ordered the Blundstones and for width, they had a wider width which I appreciate. BUT- I also have a high arch. Blundstones have a very tight stitch (very good quality) in the arch, so if i put my foot in. the arch get squeezed So tight, it hurts. Then my foot is in the boot and it is ok, but still not the best solution, IMO. I paid a lot of money for them, so i will continue to wear them, and hopefully the leather will stretch a bit and give me rom for my arch as well as my wide feet. Gosh i feel like a freak, with my crazy feet.

@Nezzy you might consider taking your boots to a shoe person and having them stretched in the direction you need more room. It’s usually just not that $$ and sounds like it would make a big difference in your comfort! I also have a really high arch and just can’t stand how tight some shoes are across that.