Stirrup Iron Rave/I RODE!!

Shortly after my fall in October, when I shredded the soft tissue in my left ankle, I started asking around/looking into stirrups that had a wider footbed to help support my ankle. When/if I get back in the show ring I do plan to get some MDC irons, but for now I have a pair of the Horze Reflex composite irons, and FINALLY got to try them out today.

Oh. My. Gosh. What a difference! I’d always ridden in flexi irons, but was warned not to use them now that my ankle is buggered because the risk of hyperflexing is too great, but I find solid irons to be uncomfortable. The Reflex irons have a neat tread that has a limited amount of flex in just the right spot, great grip (I’d say they’re a bit like a hard plastic version of the wrap-around comfort grips, texture-wise. Comparable grip too), and they’re not as light as other composite irons I’ve looked at, yet aren’t as heavy as stainless irons. They didn’t fly around when I dropped my stirrups, and had enough heft to them that I could find them easily to pick them up again without needing to look down.

I LOVE these irons, they’re just what the doctor ordered!

In other news, I FINALLY got to ride! Had a lunge lesson on the barn’s steadiest school horse, and boy did it feel good to be back in the saddle! I have a few more weeks of lessons on steady-eddies and then (hopefully) I can get back on my little guy! YAY!!!

So glad you finally got to ride! I know it’s been a long time coming.

Rebecca

Congrats - back in the saddle is a great place to be :slight_smile:

I use MDCs and love them. Congrats on getting back in the saddle. It’s the best feeling in the world.