Unlimited access >

Stirrup leathers that don't stretch

I got a new saddle (huzzah!) recently, and I was thrilled to be able to graduate to my own irons and leathers. After about a month of regular use, my leathers (Stubben) have stretched to the point that I need to punch holes in them.

Anyone have luck with a pair of leathers that don’t stretch?

Passier’s lined leathers are going to outlive me without stretching much - like over 15 years I’ve only used 3-4 holes.

4 Likes

HDR makes a nylon lined leather that’s affordable and they also have a 48" version for shorties like me.

2 Likes

If you would consider synthetic, look at beta biothane. I have beta leathers that I have ridden thousands of miles in and they haven’t stretched at all. [And you can get them in brown or black, not just crazy endurance rider colors. :wink:]

2 Likes

Any stirrup leathers with a nylon core shouldn’t stretch.

3 Likes

A whole selection including these;

https://www.equestriancollections.com/english-horse-tack/stirrup-leathers/perris-lined-leathers

1 Like

These are very nice and extremely affordable: https://www.bigdweb.com/product/softie+stirrup+leathers.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=&from=Search&ecList=6&ecCategory=

The only downside is that both the brown and black leathers only come in 54 inch lengths - great for short-legged riders like me, but not for those who need a 60 inch.

1 Like

You’re right, they shouldn’t. But mine did.The holes get worn over time.

1 Like

I have two pairs of stirrup leathers with nylon between the two pieces of leather and they have never stretched - as in I have always used the same holes and have ridden in them almost daily for probably 10 years now.

Are there any wide/ stability leathers that have a nylon core? I really like my ovation wide leathers but dang do they stretch! I found the wide ones really do help my bad knee not twinge as much.

Are these the type you mean? https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Ovation_Wide_Comfort_Nylon_Lined_Stirrup_Leathers/descpage-OWCO.html?from=bshop&msclkid=4434e8c76b291abfeebb890aa95d2cd8&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=tack%3A%20bshop&utm_term=4584619897907975&utm_content=all%20tack

My last pair of Nunn Finer lined leathers lasted almost 20 years and hadn’t stretched. I got a new pair of the same ones a couple years ago.

How much time? Switching sides helps reduce stretch and increases the lifetime.

1 Like

I think the Total Saddle Fit ones are lined through the thinner part of the stirrup leather.

I had the TSF ones and stretched the heck out of them. I ended up going back to my Nylon lined leathers because they’re really the only ones I’ve found that dont stretch.

I had a pair for approximately 20 years, too, that I love. I let someone ride my horse for the summer and they managed to destroy in a few months what I couldn’t destroy in 2 decades. Nunn Finer doesn’t make the ones I had anymore.

Keiffer makes a stability leather that is fully nylon lined. I ordered them out of Canada.