Unlimited access >

Stirrup Recommendation

I’m not a true endurance rider more like pleasure and trails but I have arthritis in my feet and the pain in the ball of my foot has been getting worse. I ride in standard English stirrups with the Eventing rubber wrap for grip. I do not like the stirrups that flex. My saddle is actually an endurance saddle that’s helped my back a lot and I’d love to find a really good pair of endurance stirrups. I think a wider bed and any padding would help my feet be less sore. Any suggestions?

Distance Depot has a selection of stirrups with wide padded footbeds. I have Tough Ones, which are very good.

I have the tough 1( plastic ones) which I like on 3 of my saddles. I can get a burning in the ball of my right foot but not when i use these. I have a pair of Tuckers as well on my mares saddle but they are heavy…

1 Like

I’m going to pay attention to this thread, because on longer trail rides I think I need to change up my stirrup configuration. For my everyday dressage stuff, it’s fine, but I think I can do better for the trails.

I’m thinking some width would help as well as padding.

Riding Warehouse has several - a pair like these are somewhere to start:

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Royal_King_Polymer_Plastic_Endurance_Trail_Stirrups/descpage-T1PETS.html?color=BK

Circle Y and Tucker make some nice ergo balance stirrups. I purchased a like new Alabama trail gaiter and it came with the leather laced stirrups. I’ve had no knee pain at all. They also have more endurance styled ones as well but I prefer a more traditional western stirrup. They are worth the price.
https://circley.com/tack/replacement-parts/stirrups/ergobalancetm-leather-laced-stirrups

You may want to consider Australian stirrup which have a much wider foot base…

I have recently started using the Compositi Reflex 3D stirrups for trail riding and love them! They have a wide footbed and a shock absorbing pad that has just enough movement to give relief (though it is just the pad and not the entire footbed, so they don’t “flex” in the same way the rubber jointed and Korsteel Flex II irons I have do). I believe they also make a version without the shock absorbing pad if you don’t like the movement as well. The wide footbed prevents the balls of my feet from getting nearly as sore as my with my plain Fillis irons, and the shock absorption almost acts as “padding” and helps keep soreness at bay as well. These stirrups have made a tremendous difference for me and I’m so happy I gave them a try!

I would really prefer an endurance style not the western style. I like their ergo endurance option but the smallest neck size is 1 1/2 but my stirrup leathers are 1" english style that I’m not willing to give up. Will these still work?

https://circley.com/ergobalancetm-trail-glidetm-stirrups

I use the old style EasyCare stirrups, the 1.5 bar fits my 1 inch stirrup leathers just fine.

Be careful with the the metal stirrups. Though rare, if your horse falls it could crush your foot inside. (My friend was hand-walking a horse across asphalt when it slipped and fell on its side, the stirrup was totally crushed, so glad she was not riding.)

2 Likes

I like the wider footbed and the cheesegrater surface of theses stirrups, but noticed I preferred a heavier stirrup vs the plastic ones. Just an FYI

I ordered a plastic pair on Amazon because I typically like a heavier stirrup. I figured I can wrap them in plastic wrap to try and return if I don’t like them. I know I don’t like cheese graters I need a squishy cushion.