Unlimited access >

Stirrup suggestions?

Hi,

I need some suggestions for stirrups. I have several health conditions but the ones that effect my joints the most when riding are my autoimmune connective tissue disease that I have, and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I tried to use the Herm-Sprenger stirrups as everyone had told me that they were amazing and took away their pain in their knees and their ankles, but for my it made my ankles and knees in excruciating pain, and my whole ankles and knees where so swollen from over-flexing, and I was miserable. The stirrups I have now bend, not as badly as the herm-sprengers, but still cause a lot of pain. Everyone I ask tells me to try something different. Does anyone with an autoimmune connective tissue disease/eds have stirrups that don’t cause them to have joint pain and swelling? Needs to be suitable for eventing.

Thank you so much,
Madison

Try lowering your stirrups. A small adjustment can make a huge difference. I’m not an eventer, but know that keeping mine a little on the longer side, but still short enough to remain stable if needed, has made riding easier on my knees and hips.

I use a stirrup turner on my western saddle that also helps quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

I have the opposite type of connective tissue disorder, but have you considered an ankle wrap to help stabilize your ankle?

For my own issues, I prefer a wide foot bed stirrup with very little bend. I like the stability.

Have you tried using Kinseo Tape to provide a bit of extra support? I am recovering from an injury and it’s one of the only things that’s helping.

In terms of stirrups, I find that a wide footbed has helped me the more than the flexing of the stirrup.

Personally, because of the accident that I had in January, I am moving to safety stirrups. I have the Acavallo Arena stirrups which have a nice wide footbed and which I find quite comfortable. However, I’m still not doing enough hard riding to know how my knees and ankles will stand up to it. I also ordered the SafeStyle stirrups from the netherlands. Also very pleased with them so far.

I have knee problems and use a regular fillus but with a wedge pad with the higher side toward the inside.
I guess you’ll have to experiment

look at the mdc super sport stirrups. wide foot bed, and the stirrup turns so that it can be flat, 45 degrees, or 90 degrees (perpendicular to horse) to relieve stress on your knees. and ditto dropping your stirrups a hole. I rode a hole higher than normal yesterday and could barely trot 2 circles! learned that lesson real fast.

Oh my goodness! I have hEDS, was diagnosed Aug 2022. I had to quit riding years ago due to my health issues (and finances bc of said health issues lol) and am just now looking to get back into riding. I’m basically trying to look at every possible aspect of how I can protect my body and joints this time around.

I’ve been looking into the Winderen stirrups and Flexon, both are shock-absorping and with a wide foot base that’s grippy. What pair did you decide on? I also just ordered a Hilite vest, will be switching to a MIPS helmet, and am going to try a shock absorbing half pad.