Stirrups for Chronic Foot Problems

I am a hunter re-rider and have been struggling with foot pain due to a birth defect. I was born with the bones in my feet fused together so my foot biomechanics are off and I often break bones and pinch nerves just from walking. The Dr. says riding is OK as long as I wear my field boots because they are supportive. I have about 50% mobility in my feet, which will most likely continue to decrease as I get older.

Lately I have been struggling with my stirrups like never before. I noticed I was losing my stirrups at least once per lesson, which was unusual. I am having problems distributing the weight evenly across the stirrup. It’s like I’m reaching for them and can’t get a secure grip. I feel like I can’t do the fine motor movements of the toes and ball of the foot to adjust my weight as I’m riding.

I would love to get some stirrup recommendations since I have been riding in my plain old fillis irons for 20+ years and the world of flexible and composite stirrups is foreign to me! Please help me out before I do something drastic like chop my bum feet off or quit riding :lol:

I have had several bunion surgeries (1 on the left with another pending on that foot, and two on the right) that have left me with a fixed big right toe and fee that hurt and fall asleep while riding.

I have Royal Rider stirrups with NO flex, and cheese grater type pads. Those are wide based and hold my foot in well.

I am going to switch to the regular rubber pads, though, to see if it will help with the nerve issues I have.

Wider is better, for more support, and the cheese graters hold your foot in very well.

You could try getting Cloud stirrups. They have, or at least did have, an English version. The footbed is wider and well-padded with closed cell neoprene. Don’t know if that is exactly what you need, but it would be worth looking at.

I have some nerve damage issues in one foot, and LOVE my Super Comfort Stirrup Pads. These are the ones that wrap around the iron. They really do make a difference. I ride in regular, heavy fillis irons - no joints.

I just ordered wide track composite stirrups because mu foot muscles arent playing nice. I find i need the support of non flexed irons but also need a wide base