Stirrups for Para-Dressage

Which safety or flexible stirrups are good for Para-dressage riding? The peacock safety stirrups hurt my feet and legs, so I can’t mount the horse. They are too small. I really need to be able get on the horse again with stirrups.

I have the black composite type stirrups with a really wide foot bed and “cheese grater pads”. I like how light they are. I lose my stirrups less and if I leave my stirrups down for no stirrups work, they don’t bang on the horse.

That said, what stirrup you need is completely individual. See if you can borrow from some friends and tests different ones. That is probably the only way to know.

As far as peacock stirrups go, I don’t think there are different kinds. They either work for you or they don’t. They do come in child and adult sizes.

I use the black composite stirrups as well-I really like the wider base, it almost makes me think I can feel my stirrups. For a while I rode in the safety stirrups that are all one piece but the outside bar is forward so it allows your foot to slide out easily. Here is a link that shows what they look like: http://www.hopevalleysaddlery.co.uk/762/JHL-Pro-Bent-Leg-Safety-Stirrups

Since switching to the composite stirrups I have only come off once and my foot was caught in the stirrups, but the leathers slid right off the stirrup bar like they were supposed to.

I also have back pain from a fall off of the horse, five years ago. Would a different type of stirrup help?