Stirrups/pads to address foot pain/cramping?

Does anyone have any recommendations on good stirrup pads to reduce foot pain and cramping? I am thinking the pain is due to the localized pressure on the ball of the foot, so also possible that insoles might help? Would a wider stirrup tread help? Something padded?

What works are endurance-type stirrups, which are wide with thick pads. These stirrups reduce foot numbness and knee strain. Google, “endurance stirrups” and you’ll find a bunch. :slight_smile:

definitely get a wider footbed. I also just got a pair of those comfort pad thingies that you wrap around your irons. It helps add a bit of padding and I’ve found it helps a lot with relieving the pain I was having in the arch of my foot after riding.

EZ ride stirrups are the way to go, they come in different “neck widths” so will work with english leathers or western fenders. Cloud stirrups are nice too. Try getting a wider shoe, inserts really help too

If you need to ride in non-heeled shoes, go with the caged stirrups, much safer, you can shove your foot in a little further so you’re not putting pressure on the ball of your foot

I have one pair of these and they’re on my jumping saddle right now. My busted-up foot is most comfortable when I use these.

http://www.marystack.com/aaaaaaaebt.html

Rivenoak, those look like they would be great! Can they easily be moved from one saddle to another?

I have the Comfort Pads on one of my saddles now, and it helps a bit, but not easy to move from one saddle to another and aren’t really enough anymore.

I will look into the wider tread options too, but I am wondering, would riding in stiff soled boots accomplish the same thing without visible highlighting the issue?

I have a client with RA who I am also inquiring for; she mostly rides western so the EZ ride stirrups look like they may be the thing for her…and then I can try them too! :wink:

Yes, they’re easy to move. They just wrap around & are secured with Velcro on the bottom.

Also, while generally an unsafe move, I rode in running shoes for a few months & found them very, very comfortable. To be safer, you could use peacock irons, quikout irons (which I have on the jumping saddle), or a foot cage of some variety.

I can now get my foot into some riding boots, but the lack of cushion + hard sole=not as comfy as those sneakers! Riding sneakers might be something to look into…

I am finding stiffer soles better than soft soles, so I may have a different issue than you. My feet felt the best in my dress boots, second best in my paddock boots.

I think I am going to order some of those pads and see if it helps.

Do they make the space in the stirrup significantly smaller? Safety stirrups might be a good idea too.

It generally has a lot more to do with how you’re sitting and weight distribution. Get that right and your foot pain should disappear.

No, I don’t think it is just how I am sitting. I am pretty sure the connective tissue disorder has something to do with it. Any localize pressure causes pain/cramping on the horse or off. Sitting trot/canter/walk is ok, but not great. Posting/two point suck. This is a fairly new occurance, so trying to find ways to accomodate.

I haven’t noticed that. Even when I ride in sneakers, I don’t feel “stuck” or out of room. And my irons are probably 4.25" to begin with; I don’t like large stirrups.

It’s a cheap(ish) thing to try. I hope that they will give you and your client some more comfort!

For anyone interested in KwikOuts:
http://www.marystack.com/aaaaaaagrr.html