Unlimited access >

Stolen Horses In Wisconsin

[QUOTE=lmeyer7;8651799]
Yes, I did file with NetPosse years ago when she was still able to use a forged bill of sale. I posted on NetPosse and the woman who took my horses contacted NetPosse and told them about her forged bill of sale and they took her word for it and deleted my listing. I have complete proof now that the bill of sale was illegally forged.[/QUOTE]

Then file with NetPosse again.

[QUOTE=lmeyer7;8651745]
As I said in a previous reply, she has been moving these horses around for nine years now. We learned last night and have been told in past that she has been at barns where the horses have never been turned out, to hide them. We were out of state for three months as we were going to be moving and were looking at homes when she stole them (we were not boarding with her, she was watching them at our home and I was paying her, she stole these horses out of several we had). We have been looking for the horses actively this entire time. Unfortunately for years, the Sheriffs department stated it was a civil action which I’ve spent thousands of dollars on starting a civil action and during that time, I was going blind due to my Multiple Sclerosis and had to go get a Plasma transfusion at a speciality hospital in Colorado which led to myself being in the hospital on the final pre-trial date and the judge dismissed the case for no appearances. I had called and asked to appear by phone, the judge denied it. My Multiple Sclerosis have ended up making myself permanently disabled.

Long story short, yes, we have been looking this entire time and haven’t given up. Just a few months ago, we were told this should’ve been a criminal case, we are working with the Governors Office and Attorney General to assist us due to the police originally stating it was a civil matter due to her forged bill of sale. We just recently have been able to completely prove the bill of sale is forged.

This woman stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from her employer for over seven years and was just recently charged and convicted of multiple counts, just to give you a slight glimpse of who we are dealing with.

Private message me or email if you have any more questions, I hope this helps clear up any confusion.[/QUOTE]

If you spent thousands of dollars on a civil action I assume you had a lawyer involved.
Why did the lawyer not go to represent you in court when you were medically not able to go?

Something is not right here…

[QUOTE=Hunterkid;8652814]
Something is not right here…[/QUOTE]

I would like to clear anything up that you have questions about.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;8651874]
If you spent thousands of dollars on a civil action I assume you had a lawyer involved.
Why did the lawyer not go to represent you in court when you were medically not able to go?[/QUOTE]

You can PM me and I will explain in entirety any questions you have.

Just explain in a post so we can all be enlightened…

[QUOTE=kelsey97;8653351]
Just explain in a post so we can all be enlightened…[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. It makes far more sense to just clarify in the same thread you are asking people to help you in.

When we think about horses being stolen, we tend to imagine a trailer pulling up to the barn in the dead of night, masked strangers, an immediate all points bulletin the next morning.

But many, maybe most, cases these days are more like this: disputed ownership. The fact that the police dismissed this as a civil case at the start means that there was reasonable doubt as to who the horses really belonged to, and the OP could not prove her own ownership enough to make this a criminal charge.

I recently watched as a similar dispute erupted, unfortunately, between two sets of people that I’m friends with. Two horses were sent by owner in financial distress to a lesson barn, with no contract, bill of sale, or official change of ownership. It was unclear to me whether the horses were there to be sold, on a free lease, just given away, or abandoned. Owner pays nothing for horse care for two or three years, then decides to take horses back at a moment’s notice, because they have a potential buyer for them. Lesson barn refuses, says they now own the horses; arguments erupt; owners take back horses in middle of night; lesson barn wants to say horses were stolen, put a lien on the horses, get a lawyer, but ultimately nothing they can really do as there was no legal agreement, and the basic cost of retaining a lawyer is going to be more than the horses were worth. Messy all around.

This is a different situation and different outcome than the OP describes. But things get vague and messy if horses are abandoned with their caretakers. There is some room for caretakers to claim that a horse was abandoned, or that they needed to sell it to recoup expenses. And things get even messier if one party launches a court action, but isn’t able to follow through on it.

If I were the judge :slight_smile: I’d want to hear the whole story from both parties, and from a lot of other witnesses as well. But I wonder if the whole appeal to law is even worth it, after all this time, if the horses have disappeared off the face of the earth?