Unlimited access >

Storage life for hay pellets

There doesn’t seem to be much information out there…anyone have a good sense of how well hay pellets (Teff, Timothy, Orchard) store? I’m in CT so, cold winters/humid summers. Winter is obviously not a problem; but I’d like to be able to buy in bulk in the summer as well as it is cheaper. I generally get the TS/Standlee pellets, so they come in plastic bags. My gut says that the humidity might create a mold issue though. Anybody have experience in storing hay pellets for a couple of months? Or would I just throw money and feed away? I’ve thought of resurrecting the huge tin lined wooden grain bin in the old barn for the purpose. Though that is a bit of a project, no one has cracked its lid in at least 80 years (it is in the loft with a gravity feed system); but it did work well 140 years ago to the best of my understanding.

In general, pelleted feeds have about a 6 month shelf life (textured more like 3). Hay pellets are probably a bit longer, beet pulp probably a bit longer still

This all assumes relatively climate controlled

I wouldn’t put hay pellets in plastic bags in a barn for 6 months around Summer

2 Likes

One of the neatest storage setups I’ve seen has been to use a defunct chest freezer to store feed bags in. We had two large ones at a barn I boarded at forever ago, and I recall 6-8 feed bags standing up side by side fit into them. Relatively climate controlled, very pest resistant, and easy to clean out if something spilled. That was in Montana, so humidity was much less of an issue than the east coast, but might be worth looking into.

1 Like

I looked but did not find any mention on storage life but did find a Standlee $3 off coupon that is good until the end of this May

I have been using the TEFF pellets for a while as we have one horse that we just stopped any grain and one who has never had grain… they get the TEFF pellets along with bailed TEFF hay

@JB I agree. The plastic is definitely a bad idea! @WNT, I’ve thought of that, but have no desire for another piece defunct equipment :laughing: even if it had a purpose, and I could find one…they seem to being snatched up by people ‘prepping’
@Clanter, TS has a 5% off if over 20 bags are bought, it adds up, and is what got me started thinking…but not if it is going to rot.
So, it looks like I should look at it like hay, which makes sense after all! And that means no summer storage here. Pity.

I’m not sure I understand. I’m in NC, which is quite humid for several months. Hay is stored all Summer whether at the farmer’s, or in barns. For that, air flow is necessary.

My round bales hang out on pallets from the time I get them in late May/early June, to when I start feeding in Oct/Nov depending on the year, and feed through late March/early May. This past Winter, I was feeding some rounds from the year before, so they’d spent 2 Summers at my place.

Winter here is also damp, it’s definitely not a dry cold.

Is there any way to store the bulk of them at your house?

Unfortunately, the barn on the property that is ideal for hay storage is full and I do mean full of other things in the hay loft. It would otherwise be perfect. To be fair it is also perfect for the estimated 10,000, yes 10,000!, books stored in it. So I have to content myself with my hay storage being on the first floor…which is terrible for summer humidity because it has no airflow due to having exactly one door and no openable windows. I did have plenty of excellent hay storage, but then the books took over!
On the to do list is a proper hay storage shed. As you say, air flow is required. And I think I am going to add to that hay storage shed a nice bulk bin for pellets!

I sell also hay pellets and I confirm 6 months is the average shelf life. Mine come in a paper bag with a thin plastic layer inside, anyway humidity could be and issue expecially during summer. I store my goods (cereals, pellets and supplements) in a room with a dehumidifier during summer and never had problems. In Italy a good dehumidifier costs about 100-150 euros

We keep squares here in our loft and our round bales are wrapped in black bale covers. The loft does have some openings for air flow and our bales are open on the ends but quite close together when stored outside so no air flow happening.

The squares are fine but even covered it is amazing how the bottoms of the rounds can draw moisture.

I am in a very humid climate as well.

I would think hay/ alfalfa pellets would keep in a humid climate if kept out of the direct sunlight and off of a floor that would draw moisture. Having a storage area with good air flow would be helpful. Pellets are so dry already I didn’t think they could mold if still in their bags?

I do not keep any grain products longer than 6 weeks during the humid months that I feed to my other animals. I have found if kept too long I will find mold at the bottom of my storage barrels.