Story of backing a youngster done by a 60 year old AA

This is such a lovely positive thread. I love that you are so thoughtful of your mare. I wish my latest OTTB had been restarted in such a kind and thoughtful way. And you don’t have to be dominant - especially w/ a mare. All you need is them on your side and trying for you (as I believe you know) - and they will give you their best. Keep on doing you! You and your mare are lovely!!

Edited to add: I am 100% sure my latest OTTB would have been permanently ruined if I had been demanding/dominant of him to accept my aids - especially the bit - at first. He was so confused and shut down.

7 Likes

Thank you for posting about your situation along with videos and photos!
It’s such a positive story about building a relationship with your mare, despite what professionals think or tell you that you should be doing.
In your case, you are knowledgeable and capable enough to handle things. I also feel for the professionals who have clients who think they are capable and knowledgeable, but to quote an old friend & trainer, “can’t ride their way out of a wet paper bag.” :slightly_smiling_face:

Ultimately, it’s YOUR horse and YOU are paying the bills, and you’re having fun.
This is how it should be.
If you need feedback that you’re doing it right, look no further than your beautiful mare. :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Go Manni!!!
You Got this, girl!!!

3 Likes

Very pleased today about my horse :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I need to work on my hands though :pensive:

10 Likes

Love these! You both look super happy and what fun experiences for your youngster.

2 Likes

Don’t let the hunter people see that mare Manni, they might steal her.

What a nice smart, quiet baby mare she is!

6 Likes

I think all of us amateurs want a clone of this mare. She is lovely and such a good mind.

3 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. But still, I believe many horses will behave like her if you bring them up the right way…. one problem is really that you should not listen to other people (experts)….

You will not believe how many times I said “no” when people told me to do this or that. It takes mental strength to say no and you have to accept that people think you are a coward…
Also about goals, you have to have goals of course because without them you will never get anywhere, but you have to be strong enough to adjust them if necessary…. I would have loved her to do the mare performance test and get a premium but I did not want to push her…
now I am happy about it but last year I was really questioning myself. her half sister won her division last year and did get a premium.
So maybe I should have pushed her…
but on the other hand this MPT is not relevant at all for my future goals with her and now I think I am over it…

But saying no all the time is the most important thing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
all these jumper babies in my barn are started to jump with the rider a couple of months after they are backed… And IMO none of them knows what they are doing because they have no real clue about riders aids…. in my barn everybody thought I am too chicken to jump her and they were kind of stunned about my little jumps in the last week.
In fact I got an offer for her because they think she is the most amazing natural ever because she simply approaches the jump and takes it (without knocking it down)….
It’s all about the basics and patience……

18 Likes

A Dressage horse can do anything.

1 Like

Well done Manni! This is so nice to see. Thank you for sharing your journey.

1 Like

A little update we went to a show. I guess we looked ok but there is still a lot of work to do. BTW this is a typical show venue in my area. It’s a bigger show up to 4th level… entry for 2 horses 2 tests including everything about 50$

20 Likes

Another update :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. We are active and I really try to show her different situations. So we went to a clinic this weekend with Martin Plewa, (I believe he was National coach for the evening team many years ago… I was quite pleased with her she was handling it like a pro and we even did a little jump and worked with cavaletti…
M. Plewa told me that her mind is amazing and that she is a quality horse…. So I guess it was a success :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:… another rider took a short video which was really nice of that rider :heart::heart::heart:

11 Likes

But honestly, I believe she was really happy when we got finally home and she was back in her pasture with her buddies….

5 Likes

Huge success! You and your mare look great. Thank you for sharing.

5 Likes

Num num num. All that grass and so little time.

2 Likes

This is probably boring to watch but this is a lot of the routines I do with my mare in the moment…. All types of transitions…. Not sure if you can see it but I try to do the transitions mainly with my seat and I believe if you use your hips properly (which is hard) the horse will also use her hips…
Also I believe she is getting stronger maybe because of our polework :blush:

9 Likes

I’ve been taught that proper transitions, very very many of them, are the best way to build strength, and it has always been the greatest tool in my training toolbag.

3 Likes

You both look great @Manni01.

How nice that a rider at the clinic took a video and shared it with you.

2 Likes

Well said!

2 Likes

Manni, it’s very enjoyable watching you ride her. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes