Unlimited access >

Struggling to decide whether or not to put my 28 year old horse down

[QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;7935599]
This may bring the Wrath of Khan down on me, but have you ever tried him with a natural trim, barefoot? Our barefoot trimmer, a lady who does a lot of yoga and stuff, uses one of those “sling” hoof stands and can also limbo right down to the ground for trimming oldies and minis–we’ve yet to find the horse she can’t make comfortable enough to get done, including a mare awhile back with an almost totally fused knee.

It’s surprising how many of these navicular guys actually do BETTER when they can get a little natural frog pressure and a REALLY short toe that helps them break over. I’d give that a try before pulling his plug if farriery is his primary issue.[/QUOTE]

Word. My older guy was off and on lame for YEARS from navicular. He was also notoriously bad for the farrier- well, farrierS since we went through several. Finally pulled his shoes to pasture retire him and within a year he was sound and has pretty much STAYED sound. Also behaves much better for the farrier now.

[QUOTE=Gestalt;7935992]
I’m in pain daily because of bones not healing properly in my foot. Some days I need a lot of advil and some days I don’t need any at all. Wanna put me down too? OP, the drugs others have posted about along with a good trim might be all your guy needs to make it to his next birthday, and them the next. :slight_smile:

Most of us with age on us have aches and pains, finding a way to deal with it is key. Because when your horse is gone, he is gone forever.[/QUOTE]

TRUTH.^ There’s a mighty long gap between feeling creaky and begging for a bullet. Remember, euthanasia’s definition is mercy killing–putting an animal out of unendurable pain or inability to function. I do not define a daily Previcox or Bute as “unmanageable” or in need of being put down. Nor would most vets. If the horse was at a maximum dose and wasn’t getting relief, that’d be different. Glad I don’t have a rock in my shoe with some o’you present! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Gestalt;7935992]
I’m in pain daily because of bones not healing properly in my foot. Some days I need a lot of advil and some days I don’t need any at all. Wanna put me down too? OP, the drugs others have posted about along with a good trim might be all your guy needs to make it to his next birthday, and them the next. :slight_smile:

Most of us with age on us have aches and pains, finding a way to deal with it is key. Because when your horse is gone, he is gone forever.[/QUOTE]

I’m in a similar situation & IT SUCKS! I take pain killers daily & have for almost 15 years. That I will have to have additional surgery on my foot at some point is almost certain. The knowledge that I get to live with this crap for another 40 or 50 years REALLY SUCKS. If I had a horse in my situation, no way in hell would I make him live through it because I wanted to spend time with him.

What does your vet think? I’d have a frank chat with them before making any decisions. There may be things you can do to make him more comfy.

[QUOTE=Bluey;7935998]
Then, you are not a horse, you know why you hurt and that you can take something for it and your life is about more than having to stand on a sore leg, all day long, enduring more or less pain.

No way to compare quality of life between humans and horses, we would be doing both a disservice to do so.

While to it’s human the horse is “gone forever”, to the horse there are no “forevers”, just enduring every minute in itself.
We should not keep a horse in pain because it pains us that he will be gone.
Think about the horse first.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Thank you, Bluey.

I might be willing to endure unending pain in my life because I may decide that the joys in my life outweigh the pains. I may be willing to endure that pain because I look forward to seeing my daughter married or to having grandchildren or because I know what pain my death would bring to those who love me.

Others may believe differently, but I do not believe that horses have such thoughts. I believe they know only today, this moment. And as someone mentioned on another euthanasia thread, I do not think a horse fears death but fears pain.

I recently euthanized my older boy before his condition caused him unendurable pain. Painful for me, not for him.

I second talk to your vet, if you think they will be honest with you. I had the talk with mine that if he thinks it’s time and I’m not seeing it to be blunt and tell me.

Your vet can assess the situation better and lay out your options for your particular horse than people on the Internet. Though everyone has lots of great ideas and options!