Unlimited access >

Struggling to decide whether or not to put my 28 year old horse down

I am struggling the issue of putting my horse down. My horse needs special shoes on his front feet and has had a hard time being shod for a number of years. He has ringbone and navicular issues and is on supplements and bute. The last six months, my farrier has told me he is getting too dangerous to shoe. He falls or jumps backwards when you lift his front feet. Since he is retired, I have removed his hind shoes to make the shoeing experience easier for everyone, but my farrier seems to think it’s time for me to think about putting him down. The farrier is a well respected professional and I totally trust him. Other than the shoeing issue, he is has a sway back and arthritis. He still comes to me when I call him. Slow at first but usually breaks into a trot albeit a bit off or lame. He is keeping weight on. He is stiff and a but he is otherwise still excited for treats. Plays in the pasture (he is pasture boarded). Kicks in his stall because he is territorial. So he’s not a invalid. I’m very mixed about what to do. He has given me 28 years of his life. Please help. I’m afraid I am ignoring the obvious due to my love for this guy.

<<<hugs>>> What a terrible choice for you. I fully understand the farrier’s feelings but do have a couple of suggestions.
Has anyone tried doing him with a hoof jack? http://www.hoofjack.com/ I never wanted to use one but have found on arthritic horses there is less flexing and bending for them. The resale value on them is very high. You could buy one and work daily with your horse to get him relaxed about resting his leg in it. The horse can rest his weight in it with no stress on the farrier and the farrier will not need to pull the horses leg out to the side to shoe. Also if the horse does fly backwards (worse evasion for a farrier) there hopefully will be no damage to the farrier. The leg does not need to be placed between the farriers. I would also suggest a high dose of bute before the farrier comes out. I would pick the bute and a chance of side effects over putting him down, I have seen lots of horses on long term bute.

I put my 30+ year old mare down in October. She was also becoming more difficult for the farrier to work on… That fact, combined with her increasing discomfort led me to the decision to euthanize her.
It’s a tough place to be, but it usually the right thing for the horse.

Have you tried having the vet nerve block his fronts just before he is shod? What about detomidine/Dormosedan? We had to do both of those for our older guy for a few months prior to his trims.

I understand some of what you are dealing with. Our older guy is 27 and frail. Some days are good days and other days, he really has trouble getting around. It is hard to make the decision to put these old guys down when they still look good and still enjoy their lives much of the time.

I feel like the issue of convenience or safety of the farrier is secondary. The main concern is his quality of life. I think once they start having more bad days than good, it’s time to think about it. Coming for treats really isn’t indicative of a good quality of life, I don’t think.

Such a difficult decision if he isn’t telling you pretty clearly that it’s time. Good luck, I hope that what ever you choose to do, you can be at peace with the decision.

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7935511]
I feel like the issue of convenience or safety of the farrier is secondary. [/QUOTE]
I am sure the farrier’s family will be pleased to know you thought nothing of his life being in danger. Would you say that to the family’s faces when the farrier is killed or injured and unable to ever make a living again? The fact the horse is unable to tolerate being shod will be the deciding factor to put him down or not. Without corrective work he will be in even more pain. Getting the gelding where he is again tolerant of having farrier work done is the number one concern and I am glad the OP understands the danger her farrier is willing to put himself in to help the horse.

Since you may be new here, based on your number of posts, you might want to read some of the other threads about this situation.

I think you’ll find that the COTH consensus is “better a day too soon, then a minute too late.”

I think it you live in a place with cold and or wet winters, I would consider sending him across the bridge before the weather gets really bad. A fall or a situation where he lays down and then can’t get up due to mud or cold, could result in a devastating injury that I’m sure you won’t want him to go through.

I had to put down a 24 y.o. last week. He was in overall good health, but colicked. As soon as the vet arrived, he palpated and based on that alone, I made the decision. While my heart wanted me to “give him a chance”, my head knew that I would be doing it to make myself feel better when I had to make the decision an hour or two later and in the meantime, he would suffer. The vet (who’s a good friend), told as much as he didn’t want to have to do it, he was so glad that I made the decision then before Kooper starting suffering.

It is never an easy decision to make when they are still having good moments or days, but you know what the final outcome will be (it’s the same for all of us, we all die) and it’s a matter of deciding when. It is a responsibility I feel that we have as caretakers to this incredible animals…to honor them by not letting them suffer.

If nothing else, I would have a chat with your vet about their thoughts on where he’s at healthwise.

This may bring the Wrath of Khan down on me, but have you ever tried him with a natural trim, barefoot? Our barefoot trimmer, a lady who does a lot of yoga and stuff, uses one of those “sling” hoof stands and can also limbo right down to the ground for trimming oldies and minis–we’ve yet to find the horse she can’t make comfortable enough to get done, including a mare awhile back with an almost totally fused knee.

It’s surprising how many of these navicular guys actually do BETTER when they can get a little natural frog pressure and a REALLY short toe that helps them break over. I’d give that a try before pulling his plug if farriery is his primary issue.

My only other advice is, no matter WHAT you decide somebody’ll find a way to judge you. 5 horse people in a room, 6 opinions. You have to do what’s good for YOU, and YOUR horse and YOUR situation and nobody else is qualified to determine that, frankly, but you. Sometimes, sending them to the Next World is a great relief for all concerned.

If he has more bad days than good, and is starting the thousand-yard stare, let him go and don’t feel guilty about it.

If the horse cannot comfortably and safely handle necessary routine care, I would say the horse is bad enough to consider euthanasia without feeling awfully guilty about it.

Have you tried him on Previcox? It might help with his flexibility and comfort. I’d also think about pulling his shoes and seeing how he does without them. While I understand the farrier’s valid concerns, the fact that he does trot (albeit lame) shows a spark that I wouldn’t extinguish quite yet.

Having had to euthanize an older horse in an emergency as well as when planned, I’ll go with planned any day. I just put my old girl down in November because her arthritis was so bad that her risk of falling was too great. She might have lasted a bit longer, but it was the best thing I could do for her. And yes, she ate horse treats right until the very end. The huge plus for planning is that you can have the burial happen immediately. As many others here know, scrambling around for a backhoe or other means of disposal of the body is not something you want to do in a pinch.

28 is a good age. I can’t tell you what to do, but it sounds like you have done right by your horse.

We had a beloved mare who was kicked in the right front shoulder causing nerve damage, she could not stand for the farrier.

Our farrier, bless his heart, liked the horse so would trim her while the horse was laying down and still would only bill the standard rate… so we would tip him greatly

I have a soon to be 26 year old, still looks pretty good but it has increasingly large melanomas (most did not appear until post retirement)one encroaching on an ear and starting to bother it. Can’t swivel the ear so…Retired at age 21, still holding weight, teeth are good, only now losing topline and only slightly but have given it quite a bit of thought. Not easy. We have aways to go yet but I have discussed it with my lay up/retirement barn BO and will stick to the plan. BO is quite experienced with this and is a great help. So is reading threads dealing with it on here.

For OP. IIWY, I’d take a shot at pulling the shoes and get him on Previcoxx. instead of Bute, it works better on most. If he tolerates that well and, after a few weeks to adapt, stays comfortable? So much the better. When I retired mine, we pulled the back shoes first and waited a few weeks to pull the fronts to avoid all 4 feet being tender…but there really was very little of that. It may be he can tolerate the much shorter time and discomfort required for the trim far easier then hammering nails and clinching.

I have great respect for farriers and sometimes our equine service providers can point out what we are too close emotionally to see and/or admit. Certainly don’t want to put them at risk. Still, I would pull shoes here and give him a chance. If that doesn’t work, you’ll know. If he is in that much pain holding his feet up for a quick trim, he’s in danger of going down and not being able, or willing, to get up.

[QUOTE=findeight;7935805]
I have a soon to be 26 year old, still looks pretty good but it has increasingly large melanomas (most did not appear until post retirement)one encroaching on an ear and starting to bother it. Can’t swivel the ear so…Retired at age 21, still holding weight, teeth are good, only now losing topline and only slightly but have given it quite a bit of thought. Not easy. We have aways to go yet but I have discussed it with my lay up/retirement barn BO and will stick to the plan. BO is quite experienced with this and is a great help. So is reading threads dealing with it on here.

For OP. IIWY, I’d take a shot at pulling the shoes and get him on Previcoxx. instead of Bute, it works better on most. If he tolerates that well and, after a few weeks to adapt, stays comfortable? So much the better. When I retired mine, we pulled the back shoes first and waited a few weeks to pull the fronts to avoid all 4 feet being tender…but there really was very little of that. It may be he can tolerate the much shorter time and discomfort required for the trim far easier then hammering nails and clinching.

I have great respect for farriers and sometimes our equine service providers can point out what we are too close emotionally to see and/or admit. Certainly don’t want to put them at risk. Still, I would pull shoes here and give him a chance. If that doesn’t work, you’ll know. If he is in that much pain holding his feet up for a quick trim, he’s in danger of going down and not being able, or willing, to get up.[/QUOTE]

THIS^, AND you can try, believe it or not, Pentosan. I’ve got a guy on it who turned 35 yesterday :slight_smile: and without it, I doubt he’d still be with us. Pentosan and Previcox really help his ability to get up and down. Like your horse, he’ll still trot and play and is highly opinionated about his blue-plate-special food. These two drugs really are a game changer for the “oldest old,” so talk to your vet!

Are you serious?

There are ways to address the safety of the farrier. Perhaps tranq and sling the horse. A number of things that could be done to make the farrier safe.

It is a secondary concern here. Calm down. I didn’t say I THOUGHT NOTHING OF THE FARRIER’S LIFE.

Some of you folks are a little too ready with the burning friggin torches. Seriously.

I also thought it might be better for the OP to think in terms of the horse’s quality of life. Euthanizing a horse because someone else tells you that you should may not leave her feeling like she made the best decision for her friend.

[QUOTE=2enduraceriders;7935529]
I am sure the farrier’s family will be pleased to know you thought nothing of his life being in danger. Would you say that to the family’s faces when the farrier is killed or injured and unable to ever make a living again? The fact the horse is unable to tolerate being shod will be the deciding factor to put him down or not. Without corrective work he will be in even more pain. Getting the gelding where he is again tolerant of having farrier work done is the number one concern and I am glad the OP understands the danger her farrier is willing to put himself in to help the horse.[/QUOTE]

I am also in take the shoes off and try a good natural trim. I’ve posted previously about mine with severe ringbone (no navicular). Initially we used a special shoe to help with breakover. As it progressed, she was in obvious pain and could not put weight on her affected leg for any length of time and hobbled for several days after shoeing. The farrier (at the university vet school) then tried using sole pack with Steward clogs - screwed and casted - on the fronts, shoeless on the hinds. It was like night and day, and really made a huge difference. I could not imagine continuing to nail on more conventional shoes as the concussion and length of time the leg was raised for shoeing was obviously too hard on her. Once fused, we took the clogs off and have since done a natural trim. With low-dose bute, (previcox did not work for her) Pentosan, and a five-wk trim cycle, she is doing well. My vet also thinks she is doing well and would not consider putting her down at this time, but would not hesitate to do so if/when it is time.

It’s time.

I think it’s past time. Your horse is in pain.

[QUOTE=Alternatingly Indecisive;7935961]
I think it’s past time. Your horse is in pain.[/QUOTE]

One of the AVMA association points for euthanasia is if a horse has to be kept indefinitely on pain medication:

http://aaep.mediamarketers.com/euthanasia-guidelines-i-334.html

Those are GUIDELINES only, to be talked over between horse owners, caretakers and their veterinarians.
The horse here seems to fit at least two of them for consideration if indeed euthanasia is best:

—"The following are guidelines to assist in making humane decisions regarding euthanasia of horses:

• A horse should not have to endure continuous or unmanageable pain from a condition that is chronic and incurable.

• A horse should not have to endure a medical or surgical condition that has a hopeless chance of survival.

• A horse should not have to remain alive if it has an unmanageable medical condition that renders it a hazard to itself or its handlers.

• A horse should not have to receive continuous analgesic medication for the relief of pain for the rest of its life.

• A horse should not have to endure a lifetime of continuous individual box stall confinement for prevention or relief of unmanageable pain or suffering."—

I’m in pain daily because of bones not healing properly in my foot. Some days I need a lot of advil and some days I don’t need any at all. Wanna put me down too? OP, the drugs others have posted about along with a good trim might be all your guy needs to make it to his next birthday, and them the next. :slight_smile:

Most of us with age on us have aches and pains, finding a way to deal with it is key. Because when your horse is gone, he is gone forever.

[QUOTE=Gestalt;7935992]
I’m in pain daily because of bones not healing properly in my foot. Some days I need a lot of advil and some days I don’t need any at all. Wanna put me down too? OP, the drugs others have posted about along with a good trim might be all your guy needs to make it to his next birthday, and them the next. :slight_smile:

Most of us with age on us have aches and pains, finding a way to deal with it is key. Because when your horse is gone, he is gone forever.[/QUOTE]

Then, you are not a horse, you know why you hurt and that you can take something for it and your life is about more than having to stand on a sore leg, all day long, enduring more or less pain.

No way to compare quality of life between humans and horses, we would be doing both a disservice to do so.

While to it’s human the horse is “gone forever”, to the horse there are no “forevers”, just enduring every minute in itself.
We should not keep a horse in pain because it pains us that he will be gone.
Think about the horse first.