Unlimited access >

Struggling with saddle issues

Ok well maybe not 30 but there’s a big difference between 3 or 4 and one. Many makers will also build trees to template. I believe black country and Hennig will do so off the top of my head

Yes, there are several British brands with 3 or more trees. Patrick has 3 or 4, Albion has 3, Ryder has multiple. Patrick’s trees have extremely short tree points, as well, improving the fit on wider warmbloods.

If you go full custom, they will adjust the tree to the template. So, let’s say the fitter comes out and sits Trees A, B and C on the horse, and tree C is close. Then she takes a full tracing (withers, base of withers, low point, mid back and 18th rib) plus the length of the back, and “drop” measurements from the plane of the highest point of the withers down to the spine. Then she sends it off to the maker with a note that Tree C sat well on the horse. She will also send photos of the horse with the tracings marked. The saddler will then adjust Tree C to the template, and it’s off to the races.

Six weeks later (or 8), the maker ships the saddle to the US and you have a lovely completely custom saddle for you and your horse.

2 Likes

Nice! Are these wooden spring trees built from scratch or are they carbon plastic trees that get shaped by heat?

They are wooden! Lovely wooden trees. They can be adjusted about a half size in a press, but not recommended to be done more than once or twice.

My fitter is now recommending the Tota saddles for tricky fits. They have recessed tree points (4 inches behind where traditional tree points sit), big front shoulder gussets, broad channels and are infinitely adjustable in a hydraulic press. I’ve cranked mine a few times now with no issues. It is synthetic nylon tree - very resilient.

1 Like

I recently purchased a Duett built in England. I have a Fidelio and that model has two different tree shapes. Then a selection of tree width, panel, leather, pommel height, block and girthing options. I didn’t get rhinestones but I did get a crocodile cantle insert and merlot piping :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I haven’t the foggiest idea if their other dressage models have different tree shapes available as Duett recommended the Fidelio for my horse. I was very pleased with the fitting, production and post delivery fitting process. The price was extremely reasonable. Hastilow also had a plethora of options.

Lots of different shape saddles out there for customers to select from!

1 Like

I was actually popping in to say that Patrick has seven trees. They will definitely be on my list if and when I get a new saddle made (one of my current saddles in a Patrick Leggero on a cob tree that I bought used).

2 Likes

Most British manufacturers have multiple tree shapes available from 5 to 200 for various horse shapes. The fitter should be able to talk about the shape of the trees they have available and what type of horses each tree fits and why. In comparison the French and Italian companies tend to have 1 or 2 in a few sizes.

One of the reasons why English makers don’t have as many tree shapes is because of the panels. The panels have a great influence on fitting the saddles to the horses and the western makers don’t have that option.

Honestly most people don’t really want to know the details, they just want what is comfortable for them.

6 Likes

Funny this is coming back now - my saddle solution is no longer working. I think it was always a bit too wide for her but worked with the big half pad. Now she’s muscled up more and the half pad pinches too much in the front and without the pad it slides onto her shoulders. She was resisting a lot the other day and I kept trying to adjust it / then finally took the saddle off completely and tried her bareback. The fact she was 100% fine sans saddle was a big giveaway.

I’m looking at used options for her now - I knew eventually I’d need to get her own gear. I actually was loving the bareback feeling and am browsing the less big blocked styles. I think simpler, older school saddles might be better for her.

1 Like

You might try looking for a hoop tree saddle. They often work better for horses with big shoulders. Some of the British brands are saddles with hoop trees.

1 Like

I second this. Find a used saddle dealer that will bring out a bunch of saddles to your property and work with you. Custom saddles are the “pay and pray” strategy, and it’s hard to sell a saddle that is custom fit to.a weird back. My spouse, when he heard that my custom saddle was going to take up to six months to arrive, said “he could be dead by then.”

Terrible dark humor comment, but he was right about all that can happen to you, to your horse’s development, etc.

5 Likes