Unlimited access >

Studs.... HELP PLEASE!!!!!

hi, I am new to the world of studs, so have a few questions… firstly, does it matter if you only have studs on the back feet?
secondly, what type of studs would you suggest for slightly damp to dry ground for a showjumping round with a heavy horse (1/2 clydy) who slips?
thanks a lot for your help:winkgrin:

Welcome to COTH. Mostly we save the red exclamation point icon and all caps for actual emergencies like a missing horse or someone stranded by the side of the road.
Studding only in back is just fine. I’ve done it for years because my horses are quite short coupled and tend to pull front shoes if I slow that front foot down at all.

As for jumping on damp or dry ground, if the ground is hard and has tough turf on it, I might use a small grass tip (pointy end) on the outside with a plain road (flat end) on the inside. If the ground has some give to it I would probably just go with road studs all around.

If your horse has never worn studs before I would start small. Big studs can really change their way of going and it can be an adjustment.

If you look at this chart: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Studs_p/10112.htm
R is the stud I mostly commonly use on the outside hinds.
V is the stud I almost always use on the inside hinds.

If the ground is very hard I might use S or Y on the outside only (still V on the inside).

If it’s soft I might use Q on the outside with V on the inside. If it’s really soft I use C all around.

If I were doing a lot of roadwork or foxhunting I might use T all around.

I use R all the way around. They are good for punching through hard ground or frozen conditions.

[QUOTE=Highflyer;8012472]
If you look at this chart: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Studs_p/10112.htm
.[/QUOTE]
Thank you Highflyer, that is one of the best charts and descriptions I have seen. I have lots of different studs and rarely use them.

Thankyou, sorry i diddnt know about caps and red mark! thank you again for your info!

Biggest thing you need to know about studs is <Bigger behind, Sharp outside>
-Sharp/pointy studs (grass) are for harder ground with wet grass.
-Flat, square studs (road) are your starter studs and should match to the base of the grass stud (bottom before it tapers to a point) to be paired for the inside w/ grass (never put a grass stud on the inside)
-Rounded, pointy studs (bullets) are for mud or softer ground
-cube/rectangular boxy studs (blocks) are for deeper mud and can be paired with bullets
some studs have 4 sides, or more (hexagonal, octagonal, etc) this adds more to a normally smooth stud, or takes away from a blocky stud (more square like, the more friction it gives)

Make sure when pairing your studs that they are approximately the same height at the base. When deciding on studs pay attention to how your foot moves through the ground, and note the difference between the ground between fences and the ground at the base of the fence. You want to be sure that you have a big enough stud to give your horse reinforcement at the base where it will likely be pretty torn up from others, but not too much that they have difficulty between fences. If you’re unsure always ask around, and pay attention to what others put on in your division. As the fences get bigger and the effort is increased a bigger stud is often necessary.