Unlimited access >

Stupid question - "10 turning 11 years old" what does this actually mean?

I see this in ads, and in descriptions of horses. Is this something that is said in the second half of the year or what? Because I wouldn’t expect a 10 year old to be turning anything but 11. :rofl:

1 Like

I have heard it used several times to describe a horse this time of year that is not biologically the next year older yet but some people would consider it the next year older because it is after the first of the year.

7 Likes

I would agree with the above statement. I would say my horse is a coming 3 year old, even though by Jan 1st technicalities he’s 3…but not actually. Or if I were advertising something that was close to an age change to not seem like I am trying to hide an age or make the horse seem younger than they are. Right now, Dobbin is 10, but in 2 months he’ll be 11… rather than a freshly turned age…if that makes sense?

2 Likes

@trubandloki and @Mulligan314

So my 3 year old, who turns 4 on March 1st is …

3 coming 4 by most people’s standards.

Just turned 3 by the Jockey Club (was zero 2017, yes? or do they start at 1?)

Ok follow up question - what is “rising” supposed to mean?

If you horse was born in 2017, they would be 4 in JC standards. Still 3 Biologically if their birthday isn’t until March.
born: 2017
1: Jan 1 2018
2: Jan 1 2019
3: Jan 1 2020
4: Jan 1 2021

What is the term ‘rising’ used with?

Ok, got it.

I’ve seen it used as “Pookie is a rising 5 year old…”

Hmmm… could be another way of stating a ‘coming’ 3 year old. So, same instance in both of our horses. 5 by the Jan 1st date, but not biologically 5 yet.

Or, he is progressing through training as a 5 year old? But I would probably try to get more context from the rest of the ad to clarify that prediction.

1 Like

This is the way I’ve read it. Like my April 2016 mare is rising or coming 5.

1 Like

Thanks all for the clarifications - I will have to try and stop laughing imagining a “10 turning 12 year old”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, that one might be more exciting :wink: …like the paint pony I sold a long time ago as a 10 year old that I found advertised for sale again about 10 years later, being sold as a 10 year old…things that make you go hmmmmm…

2 Likes

I hope you don’t mind if I hijack your question now that it’s been answered… According to USEF/USHJA - is horse age based on age as of Jan 1st, or actual birth date? I tried looking this up in the rulebook but just confused myself more :laughing:

For example - my horse turns 4 June of this year. In USEF/USHJA world, would she compete as a 3 year old for the entire 2021 competition season since she was 3 on Jan 1, or only as a 3 year old until her actual birthday, in which case she would have to compete as a 4 year old?

She would be a four year old this year for competition purposes.

GR102 (general rules) Age of Equine
For competition purposes any horse is considered to be one year old on the first day of January following the actual date of foaling.
There are some exceptions, such as DR119 that says any horse in competition must be at least 36 months of age from their foaling date.

I’ve always heard “rising” rather than “coming” 5 year old.

yes the OPs poster was trying to say the horse was rising 11.

Ten or 11 I dont see as much of a need for distinction like I do with a 3yo.

I would want to know that three y.o. was rising 4 rather than just turned 3. This I would see as a big and importtant difference

2 Likes

Thanks! I read that rule as well but then saw there were exceptions for certain breeds/disciplines and got myself confused reading about age verification. Thought it would be fun to aim for the Young Hunter U/S at Devon but wasn’t sure what age she would show as next year which lead me down this rabbit hole…

Difference in dialect from the worlds we are a part of. No biggie. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

With my TBs I used to say “He’s turning 10 this year” from January thru their May birthdays.

1 Like

Not sure why we need either? Horse is 4. Will turn 5 on March 13th.

Or, horse for sale. Birthdate 3/13/2016. You do the math anyway you like. LOL.

I guess it just sounds fancier to say “rising 5 year old” instead of “he’s still 4.”

It reminds me of every single mother I know who says their child is “mature for their age” and would love to get together with my older kids because “they fit in better with older kids.” It’s like a badge of honor. Not sure why it’s no longer ok to just be only as mature as expected for their age.

1 Like

For clarity. Because of age-based competitions for young horses. People will ask for clarification. Like my mare turns five on April 30. If I say she is four right now in February, many people will assume that I mean she will turn four sometime this spring, so I say “she’ll be five in a couple months.” It’s actually a pet peeve of mine, as another poster alluded to, because I think it leads to people pushing horses too much, too soon by thinking of them as several months older than they actually are.

I bought my young horse at an auction on his birthday --April 29th. Always figured I bought a 9 year old and unloaded a 10 year old!

1 Like