Unlimited access >

Sub-clinical laminitis

[QUOTE=Pocket Pony;8408309]
Katy, speaking of soaking hay . . . when I was recently hay shopping, one farmer (not the person I ended up getting my hay from) had just done a third cutting and it was scheduled to rain. He said that the rain would wash the sugars away, just as if you soaked it (of course he would rake it and dry it before baling). [/QUOTE]

I tried it twice with sprinklers. Didn’t work.

A week of cloudy weather before baling should really help keep sugars down. A sprinkle when the grass is just cut and still green will lengthen the period of respirative loss before drying and should also help,

[QUOTE=Katy Watts;8408461]
The amount you need to trim off is related to the speed of growth, is it not? I know some barefoot metabolic ponies that NEEDED to be trimmed every 4-5 weeks, but after getting the metabolism normalized their feet stayed in balance and they did not need to be trimmed nearly as often. If the heels grow faster than the toe in a laminitic horse ( evidenced by the downward turn of the rings at the heel) it makes sense that the foot will also stay in balance longer as it grows.[/QUOTE]

You’re not saying, though, that every horse that grows a decent amount of foot in 5-6 weeks has this issue…or are you? I actually agree with everything else you’re saying and am going through an issue with one of the farm’s ponies right now…could never get the vet/farrier to listen. Said pony has never had grain, and is not on pasture so at least that, but he still can’t walk…:frowning:

[QUOTE=Dune;8436639]
You’re not saying, though, that every horse that grows a decent amount of foot in 5-6 weeks has this issue…or are you? ([/QUOTE]

No. Metabolically normal horses in warm weather with lots of exercise can also need trimming more often than the average horse. But in metabolic ponies, the rapid growth can be an indicator that the diet is not correct, yet.

Plenty of metabolic equines founder on hay. Did it myself before I learned all this stuff about NSC in hay. Soaking hay PROPERLY can really help. Just had a client in NZ that was stuffing hay tightly in a small hole net before soaking. Horse couldn’t walk. After just a few days of soaking loose in more water, horse is trotting.

[QUOTE=Katy Watts;8436814]
No. Metabolically normal horses in warm weather with lots of exercise can also need trimming more often than the average horse. But in metabolic ponies, the rapid growth can be an indicator that the diet is not correct, yet.

Plenty of metabolic equines founder on hay. Did it myself before I learned all this stuff about NSC in hay. Soaking hay PROPERLY can really help. Just had a client in NZ that was stuffing hay tightly in a small hole net before soaking. Horse couldn’t walk. After just a few days of soaking loose in more water, horse is trotting.[/QUOTE]

Got it! :slight_smile:

I, too want to thank you for this discussion. I put down a beloved (and arthritic) pony this fall due to Laminitic complications from Cushing’s, and there is a lot I would have done differently before it got so bad had I realized what was happening. The vet and I attributed much of her soreness to the arthritis. Valuable time was lost.

We leased another pony, and she is extremely overweight even in regular work. Your information will help me manage her to the best of my ability.