Unlimited access >

Sudden Lameness, Muscle Cramps, Demeanor Change?

It sure as heck sounds like almost textbook EPSM. Worth an email to Beth Valentine at Oregon State. Muscle bipopsy may be a better screening test than blood work. It’s been so long since I had a TB diagnosed via biopsy, things may well have changed, but it’s worth looking into. Since he’s already getting 24/7 turnout, you would need to add oil/fat and the Vitamen E/Selimium supplement.

She may still be available through the Rural Heriage website, too. She’s always been super helpful to horse owners trying to sort this stuff out. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Badger;9017932]
It sure as heck sounds like almost textbook EPSM. Worth an email to Beth Valentine at Oregon State. Muscle bipopsy may be a better screening test than blood work. It’s been so long since I had a TB diagnosed via biopsy, things may well have changed, but it’s worth looking into. Since he’s already getting 24/7 turnout, you would need to add oil/fat and the Vitamen E/Selimium supplement.

She may still be available through the Rural Heriage website, too. She’s always been super helpful to horse owners trying to sort this stuff out. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

PSSM and Lyme appear to be at the top of my list now. Even though the vet looked for PSSM in his blood results I think I will send hair off (before doing a muscle biopsy) as I really just want a definitive answer, not one based off of a basic equine screen.

It certainly would be good to have a conversation with Beth, someone well versed in the subject.

OP, lyme is actually on the rise in Ontario (https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2015/11/27/cases-of-lyme-disease-surge-in-ontario.html) so I would get him properly tested.

[QUOTE=DarkBayUnicorn;9018231]
OP, lyme is actually on the rise in Ontario (https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2015/11/27/cases-of-lyme-disease-surge-in-ontario.html) so I would get him properly tested.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, been looking for a source such as this. He will be getting tested when the vet is out next.

Vet scheduled to come next week. Taking blood for Vitamin E, Selenium, and Lyme. Sending hair for PSSM. I will update with news as I get it. I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions and thoughts. I will keep ruling things out until I find out what this is.

If you’re doing a lyme test, and it sounds like it’s a great idea, make sure that it’s a Cornell test, which is far more accurate.

Good luck.

1 Like

When the vet comes, I would ask for a quick neuro exam. If anything is not right on the neuro exam, I would ask for a SAG blood test for EPM. The test is not expensive (see the Pathogenes website).

If you think the vet is reluctant to send the EPM test because she doesn’t want to have to send someone to the post office to send blood second day air, volunteer to send out the bloods yourself. Print out the forms. Have the vet fill in the exam portion and sign the form, and spin the blood. Then, you can complete the rest of the form and mail it. That lab does do Lyme testing as well, but I don’t know if their Lyme test is as good as the Cornell test. The vet practice I use sends the Lyme tests to Cornell and the EPM to Pathogenes.

I am going through some similar issues and was surfing the internet today for information on vitamin E and selenium deficiency symptoms when I ran across this post.
I talked to my vet about getting my mares blood tested this afternoon. He said it is not an accurate test. The most accurate way is to do a liver biopsy but it is not safe. I couldn’t find any information to confirm what he said about the blood work. He wanted me just to go ahead and supplement her and I don’t feel comfortable with this option without knowing what her levels are.
This is another thing I ran across that has to do with mineral imbalance. I am from an area that has an abundance of clover. I bought my mare from Washington state. Where she was kept had minimal grass. I had some positive results with changing her to an all forage diet and adding salt and magnesium. She was better but not perfect.We had a bit of a warm rainy spell a few weeks ago and I saw her grazing instead of eating hay and she did a downward spiral. I’m back at square one.
http://www.calmhealthyhorses.com/grass/affect.html

Well, it has been a long time since I have been on and I just realized that I forgot to post a follow up on this thread! So, for anyone interested in how things have been going with Remi, he is doing fantastic!
We have determined that Remi has PSSM (even though his basic equine screen and CBC came back “clean” for PSSM).

As I said I was going to do, we tested for lyme and determined that he did not have lyme. Long story short, PSSM has been diagnosed and he is now being fed a PSSM diet.

Although he was already eating low NSC grains (beet pulp and a ration balancer), I changed his diet up to add in oil so that more of his calories were coming from fat. Additionally, we began supplementing with a selenium and vitamin E supplement as well as Equitop Myoplast (which I will be changing up once he is done this container to a pure spirolena supplement that has no added sugar like the myoplast has).

I have to say, the difference is amazing! While I know that the diet can take months to make all of the changes it is going to make and it might have to be tweaked, within just a few weeks of being on this diet he showed so much improvement!

I mentioned before and, as I’m sure most of you saw in the video, he was extremely reluctant to work. The only thing that would really motivate him to move was if he was spooked, however now he is forward moving at all of his gaits. He is still having difficulty holding his lope going one direction, however I am hopeful this will continue to improve and it is already so much better compared to what it was. He also is showing far less grumpy behaviour (ear pinning when asked for transitions, ear pinning in the cross ties). He is also much less reluctant to being saddled and I have been riding often and believe that the exercise is helping him. He seems to be gaining more muscle all around as well.

Best of all, I feel like I am on the way to having my best friend back. While we are not quite ready to hit the trails like we used to, he is doing so much better and I hope that in time, with more arena work, he will be fit and confident enough to trail ride again and exercise at higher levels without quickly running out of steam like he often used to. I am just so happy to be back in the saddle and working with him again instead of being restricted to groundwork, hoping that he would be having a good day. Now, I am confident every time I ride that he is doing great!

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread. It was ultimately all of your suggestions that essentially resulted in his diagnosis - I feel like if I had not posted this here I would have dismissed PSSM all together since his blood work did not show abnormal CK/AST levels and I would have been right back at square one again. I wanted to follow up on this thread for anyone curious as to how he was doing and for anyone having similar problems with their horses - also, for anyone who has a medical mystery horse, don’t give up hope! You will find the answer and I know how exhausting it can be to hear people tell you that it is a behaviour or training problem - at the end of the day, YOU know your horse and know when something is up.

Sorry this was so long, but I am just so excited!
Thanks again to everyone! (:

5 Likes

I’m glad to hear you found a solution and your boy is on the road to feeling better. I never got a formal diagnosis for my horse, but switching him to the diet made a big difference for him all those years ago.

WNT, thank you! Glad to hear a change in diet has helped your horse as well.
I am very thankful he responded positively to a diet change and glad it wasn’t lyme, EPM, etc. Here it can be very expensive to treat lyme and feeding a PSSM diet is quite a low cost solution to all of his problems.

That’s fantastic! Type 1 or 2?

1 Like

Type 2, which as I have read is more likely than type 1 to cause a spooky horse which makes sense in Remi’s case.

Well done! I am glad you figured it out.

Great update!