Unlimited access >

Sudden lameness

I’ve had my horse about four years but he’s never had an abscess before so I’m not sure how long to wait before calling the vet.

Monday he was a little off when he came in for breakfast and went in dry lot, but had worked out of it by night. Tuesday same, yesterday he was head bobbing lame at the walk in the morning and still the same this morning.

I used hoof testers on him this morning but didn’t find a sore spot, however, I highly doubt I squeezed hard enough.

How long should I wait before calling vet or farrier? Sorry, I feel like I should know this but he has ever had one.

If my horse is head bobbing lame at the walk, I tend to call the farrier and/or vet that day.

If I’m certain it’s hoof, I’ll notify vet and call farrier. If I’m not certain where the issue is or if farrier doesn’t find something, I’ll call vet.

I hate watching a lame horse. Farrier can dig it out if it’s low. Vet can tell you what needs to be done and provide meds otherwise.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I called the vet as soon as I saw your post. They’re coming out tomorrow afternoon with the x-ray machine just in case.

I need to quit worrying that people think I’m over reacting. Thank you.

6 Likes

I used to worry about the same thing. My vet had the most helpful advice. She told me I could always call. We’d talk things over, I could send her pics and videos, and she would make the decision on whether or not she needed to come out. It switched my thinking from “if I’m calling them, it means I’m asking them to come out immediately. That must be an inconvenience or a bother.”

It’s saved me so much stress over the years.

6 Likes

Good for you.

It is hard and I always second guess myself (especially with my vet being further away), but I will gladly pay for peace of mind. And I have a good relationship with my vet, where if she thinks she doesn’t need to come–she’ll tell me that as well.

Jingles that it’s something simple and resolves quickly!

2 Likes

He came in from paddock hopping on three legs. It looks like other horses I’ve seen with an abscess but since I’ve never known him to have one I’ll feel better after vet sees him.

1 Like

If something seems like it could be an abscess, I just start the soaking routine right away, while waiting for the vet. It won’t hurt anything if it’s not an abscess, and will start the healing process sooner if it is.

And getting treatment for an abscess is not overreacting at all. Overreacting would be calling your vet at 2AM and demanding an emergency farm call for an abscess. But asking for a next-day visit when a horse is very lame is totally reasonable.

3 Likes

The verdict is an abscess. He wasn’t hopping on three legs today but still head bobbing.

Digital pulses, heat in coronary band and reacted with testers on toe area.

I’m glad that’s all it was and hopefully he feels better soon.

1 Like