Unlimited access >

Suggestions for a new helmet?

Try the Trauma Void Lynx… It’s got a dial that can take the small helmet down to pretty darn small.

Em

1 Like

I have a pixie cut so it’s definitely not hair that’s affecting my fit. At the moment I’m going to be looking into charles owen and antares (I know no one mentioned antares however my barn is sponsored by them so I get a discounted price and I love the look of their helmets) thanks for all the suggestions and it’s good to see that a few people also have this problem.

When I first got my helmet, it fit very well but I believe the lining has flattened out and I have slightly less hair that’s more concentrated to the top of my head. I think that the natural shape of the helmet isn’t the perfect fit for my head and now that the liners don’t provide as much padding to fill in the gaps, the helmet slides back more easily.

Chiming back in because I got the new Tipperary Windsor with MIPS and wide brim today. I was so excited for it! And then I put it on and just felt like WOMP WOMP :lol: I ordered the large because I was right between the medium and large sizes and well, I have a big head so I just figured LARGE. I can’t tell if it’s too big or just doesn’t fit right :no:

Also I know, I KNOW, it’s not about the “look” vs safety BUT I am not a fan of the look. It sits like barely above my eyebrows (again, maybe the size is wrong) but I think it’s also that I don’t like the way the liner peeks out. (Maybe I can adjust this?)

What I definitely know: this is why it’s best to buy helmets in person and not online!

Darn! I was looking at those because of the technology. I’ve had the same GPA First Lady since 2015, needs replaced and I don’t want to drop 600+ on a schooling helmet. I also live in the middle of no where so I have to order online.

You can order online safely. Just find the return policies in advance and ask about the best way to try two sizes in helmets. Typically they’ll charge you for 2 and then refund the one you don’t buy upon return and inspection back in their store. IE…not in pieces :slight_smile:

Even if you think you know your size, trying 2 might be best.

Em

What does everyone think of the dial system on the Tipperary? Love that it has MIPS and the look of the helmet, but unsure about the dial. Thoughts?

thank you, this is great!

@vxf111 just got one. I’m trying to tag her so she sees this and replies.

Em

Thank you!

In your research, have you ever read something indicating that a dial makes the helmet less safe as ones without?

I don’t love the dial systems in general but I don’t have any specific objection to this one. My helmet adjusted pretty easily when I bought it and I haven’t messed with it since

great, thanks!

I love my Trauma Void EQ3- I actually just purchased a second one after getting bucked off my horse and smacking my head on a ground pole. Great news was I made it out of the whole ordeal without a concussion- not even a headache! The whole experience has made me very loyal to Trauma Void- and could have been so much worse without it!

I also have a friend who just purchased a Tipperary Windsor- she had a Trauma Void EQ3 and it never seemed to fit her well- she’s been very happy with the new Tipperary though!

2 Likes

That Charles Owen was a little too deep for my head as well. Also, the strap was too forward, basically sitting against the tip of my chin. It was too bad because it looked like a nice helmet!

You did use Trauma Void’s replacement policy…right?? They give a lot of credit compared to some brands.

Em

On the EQ3 models did you try BOTH liners? There is a smaller liner with each EQ3 model

Em

I don’t mind the dial-in fit - it does seem to work pretty effectively. I need to call Adams and ask about their policy on exchanging the helmet now - but yes, I wish I had 2 sizes so I could compare at the same time instead of back and forth - grrr. That’s why I think trying in person is helpful. The large size is definitely LARGE - I would say very true to size. I’m wondering if the medium will look smaller overall. Remember when the first mushroom helmets - ASTM approved helmets came out and they looked SO HUGE? That’s what I feel like this Tipperary looks like on me. (Yes, I am from the generation that grew up wearing an unapproved clear harness :lol:)

1 Like

I have always needed smaller in Tipperary helmets than their size chart expressly says. I should be a large “by the measurements” and have always needed a medium in every style I’ve ever purchased.

1 Like

I have tried for years to put the mushroom helmets out of my mind. (Deep Shudder) Those things were just awful.

Em

Yes! It takes a little while to get the new helmet and I couldn’t wait that long to ride again- so I out right bought a new one from my local tack shop, and also got a replacement through their policy so now I have a back up for when I inevitably need to replace it again (or I’ll use it for shows if I ever get to do that again). Super happy with their helmets and customer service!

1 Like