Unlimited access >

Suggestions for breeches (petite woman, appropriate for showing)

i always ride in leggings but i’d like to get one pair of breeches that i could use to ride in some times but also use if i want to do a show (hunter/jumper) occasionally. i tried on a few pairs at a local store (RJ, tuffriders) and didn’t really like any of them (maybe i’m just used to leggings and jeans?). i thought the regular (mid) rise were way too high for me (so low rise is a must) and they all felt kind of big with the RJ being the smallest. how fitted should they be? they are kind of loose everywhere, should they be fitted like jeans? i tried on the smallest size (24) that i saw in store. should i try on kids (lol)? i’m usually a size 0 in regular pants. i’m pretty short, like 5’2"-ish. also, where should the length hit?

If you’re going to buy just 1 pair and want to show, I highly suggest investing in a pair of Tailored Sportsmans. So worth the money.
I have pairs that I ride in for everyday (Equine Couture, Smartpak Piper, Ariat) because I can’t afford 10 pairs of TS, but I don’t like riding in them that much. The TS are so comfy! Also TS come in short length, so that is a plus for you!

TS in a short length or (I hate to say it, as I don’t think the quality is the very best, but the fit is great if you are petite) Ariat Heritage low rise side zip. I am 5’2", and they are probably the very best fit I have yet found for me in terms of rise and leg length. I normally ride in Racker’s Wear endurance tights (not the usual look at a H/J barn, I know) because I love the fabric and the cellphone pocket on the leg for easy access for photos and video… and because they come in a short length. Once I got interested in going foxhunting, though, I needed real breeches and invested in a few different ones. The Ariats win by a mile in terms of fit.

I am 5’ and I pretty much stick exclusively to childrens breeches! They are usually perfect length. I am 0/00 in regular pants, and a 24 in woman’s breeches usually, and a 14 fits me 99% of the time. I love TS, but if you don’t want to spend that much money, Equine couture breeches are super comfortable. I have a friend that also rides in leggings, and she got Equine Couture for shows, and even she says they. I believe they run around $70 or $80 depending on the style.

Kids TS in a 14 should fit you well. They’re worth the slight splurge and even the kids are the same exact thing just smaller and a little cheaper.

Well… I may have done a double post… approx. 15 minutes later… my computer fails… Who am I kidding? I fail lol

If you are willing to spend the money, Tredstep (the most expensive ones) fit a narrow frame beautifully.

I am 5’1’’ and 100 lbs soaking wet - I wear the children’s TS schooling breeches (the cotton ones) for both schooling and showing. I wear a 12. The cotton ones are great because they’re not very expensive, especially compared to other breeches.

I also had some luck with the Equine Couture size 24 because apparently those tend to run small, but I don’t use those for showing.