Unlimited access >

Suggestions for DC area horse farms if commuting from downtown?

Thank you so much for listing these places. I’ve got a huge list i’m googling like mad.

Matt does board a few horses, but it’s training board. Perhaps you could speak to him regardless. I boarded with him and can’t say enough good things.

Everyone is right when they say it is doable, etc. But not easy. It would take me about an hour and fifteen from downtown to Western Mont. County. I’m now in an “in between” suburb and still commute to Poolesville for the horse - still takes me 45 min. :slight_smile: Just kinda have to figure out what works for you!

Southdown Farms in Great Falls, VA is close in to DC. Gunnells Run Farm on Arnon Chapel Road in Great Falls has has excellent turnout, meticulous care, and a nice barn, and is also close to DC. The Southdown barn is old and a bit cramped, but there is a lighted ring and a small indoor. Gunnells Run Farm has a nice barn and ring, but limited access to an indoor. There is a park (Turner Farm) in Great Falls with some cross country jumps and a huge new ring. There are a few local ULRs/instructors (e.g., Denise Rath, Gillian Clissold, Yvonne Lucas) who teach in Great Falls. You may find that there is a waiting list to get a stall in some of the barns in Great Falls.

You need to figure out where you will be living and and where you will be working. Some parts of DC are much closer to Northern Virginia. Other areas are much closer to Maryland. Living and working in DC makes owning upper level competition horses difficult, although certainly not impossible.

You could try TewksburyManor.com. They are within 2 miles of Waredaca and have a few more eventers there now.

I moved here from the midwest 17 years ago, and if you haven’t spent much time driving around here, it’s going to be a shock to your system. The critical fact regarding MD vs. VA is that there are a very small number of bridges across the Potomac, and going back and forth from VA to MD or MD to VA in anything like rush hour can be a complete and total nightmare. Do not get yourself in a situation where your life hinges around crossing the river 4x a day. I am not kidding.

Is your work actually in DC, or in one of the close in suburbs?

My family’s situation is one half-way between the barn and the city. Even driving to and from work together every day so they can take the HOV lanes, my parents’ commute is almost unbearable. It just takes a toll to drive for that long, in traffic, five days a week, two times a day.

Also, check roads with the locals here after you Mapquest/ Google map distances. Several of the roads once you get into VA are going to be stopped throughout the afternoon. Definitely do the legwork you’re doing with distances, but don’t settle on anything until you’ve checked how long it will take realistically. :yes:

same situation

Hello, i am in a similar situation…moving to DC, work downtown but need a barn. I am thinking to board somewhere in N DC area/MD and find a house in between (i.e. petworth, takoma park). where did you end up? any help on identifying the commute to the barn or any good barns?

thanks!

joe, there are really, for the most part, no barns inside of ‘n DC’. And real estate is too dear for open space to be kept for horse boarding in most of the close in suburbs as well.

If you are unfamiliar with the area, get here and drive around before you make housing choices. Have your realtor show you what rush hour really looks and drives like.

This topic has been discussed at length in the eventing forum and in off course. Good luck.

Don’t forget that “rush hour” in the DC area runs for 5 AM to 9:30 AM and 3 PM to 7 PM.

I think it’s much more doable if you have semi-flexible work hours and can plan on riding in the morning and starting work around 10. With the horses in Middleburg/Upperville, it’s about 45-50 minutes against traffic from Arlington/Falls Church/Vienna area out there in the morning, and then I can usually get to work in downtown DC in about an hour to an hour-ten if I leave the barn just before 9am (missing most of the traffice jam, and dog-legging up to the toll road). Plus, if traffic’s really stopped, you can park at Vienna or WFC metro, and take the orange line in. Trying to ride in the afternoon is the pits - you will be fighting traffic the entire way, and heading out to VA from downtown DC adds 10-20 to your commute, depending on your proximity to 66. I know not everyone has that option, but it was pretty workable for me this fall as I did my 3-day prep, plus I knew that the beasts have great turnout which is one of my deal breakers in terms of boarding.

So I am gathering it’s really just too difficult? It’s just really not doable to live downtown and ride? I’m not understanding if the places mentioned are close? What about living in a suburb halfway in between town and the barn? Is it too hellish to commute into town then?

That depends.

It’s DOABLE, if you want it, and you’re willing to sacrifice something one way or another. You have to be flexible.

I will say that it’s pretty damn unlikely on the Virginia side for you to find a barn 35-40 minutes from Washington WITH ample turnout WITHOUT AND an indoor, galloping lanes and full care. If you were to find something like that, which let me reiterate (not to dissuade you, I’m sorry, I’m sorry) it will be hugely expensive. Many have wait lists.

Traffic is a bitch, and they overdeveloped without planning for it, so there are a lot of open space and gridlock issues.

I know less about the Maryland side, but I know it has many of the same issues. You may just need to be a little more flexible on the commute.

It’s possible, but it will require a ton of time in the car. I used to live in Ballston, about 2 miles across the river in VA, and kept my horses in Purcellville. It was an average of 1.5 hours each way during the week, and yes, it sucked! But it is doable.

The key to my sanity is the fact that I take the metro to work so I only have to battle traffic on the way to the barn. I work downtown and live in suburban Maryland on the red line, and then have a 35-minute commute to the barn in the evenings. It is manageable. I currently keep my horse near Olney, but I used to be in Poolesville. Honestly, if you can wait to go to the barn after rush hour (approx 7 pm) then the MD side of the beltway is fine. Avoid, avoid avoid 270. Driving to Poolesville, while a 24 mile commute, only took 30-35 minutes. Now I’m only 16 miles to the barn but it takes just as long because I’m on local roads and not the highway.

I used to live in Northern Virginia. I would absolutely NOT recommend living or boarding there if you work in DC and you have to go anywhere near a car. It’s simply a clusterf*ck.

Something no one has mentioned here is cost. Since you’re seriously involved in eventing, I presume you want very nice facilities. Be prepared to pay at least $600 for a good barn with turnout, and up from there.

I would suggest working the phones and visiting a ton of barns when you come looking for a place to live. Good luck!’

Edited to add: It’s not all bad news. This is a GREAT area for eventing with access to many XC courses, competitions and top trainers. You will love it!

The information on the rush hour traffic has been really helpful. I certainly won’t be settling on anything soon. This is the beginning of my search for a life that will work for me in this area which includes, job, apartment, and barn. I will be completely starting over looking for a new job if/when we move. I am 25 so I’m looking at entry level jobs. My boyofriend however is a lawyer and would be transfering to the DC branch of his law firm or possibly starting with a new firm so he may have to live downtown but I could get my own place in N. VA. So I am flexible in regards to location of my housing, although originally we were thinking about trying to move in together to minimize expenses.

I’m thinking the best way to do this is to come into town, go to all the different farms, narrow down the selection, based on commute then pick a place in between. I am 100%committed to the horses and getting to the advanced level, that’s actually the #1 priority right now. Not to say that won’t change in a few years. But that’s what it is right now. It’s already a challenge for me in Cleveland with a Prelim and a 2* horse, 30 min. drive, full time job. But it will be a whole closer for me to haul out to Middleburg to get help on the weekends. An hour + some drive to middleburg is a whole lot closer than 8+ hours from Cleveland plus it should put me in closer range to the horse shows.

Sounds like you’ve been there done that. Thanks for the “straight talk”. (Sorry for the political pun.) Any other advice on barns/a convenient area to look into living would be awesome! I’m basically looking for convenient commute suggestions at this point. Anyone that may have a similiar situation that’s done it that could suggest anything is who I’m seeking out.

I currently pay $560 board with no turnout included. $600-$650 is doable for me especially if I can get t/o. As far as facilities go, yeah, nicer the better but functional will do as long as it’s safe.

(I was referring to Classic Melody above)

I live in Friendship Heights, and horse lives in Poolesville. I think it is very doable. I work in a downtown DC law firm, and the commute (Metro or driving) is very reasonable to home – half an hour. We lived in DC for a while, but liked the suburbs better (house, grill, etc.). I feel safer and you get more for the $$. We have shopping, restaurants, etc. within walking distance, so we don’t feel like we are missing out on the city life. Also, my husband and I both work downtown, so if we want to see folks downtown we just go after work.

Mornings are the best for riding. River Road is workable any time of day, though it is slow in the mornings when coming back in from the barn. I get up at 5, am on the horse by 6, then try to get back toward the city by 7. Leaving Poolesville before 7 or after 8:30 is your best bet traffic-wise.

I think MD is easier than NoVa for commuting. During the summers in law school I lived in Leesburg and commuted to the city. Coming in was fine if I was in the office by 7, but going home was a 2-hour mess. I’ve never experienced that on River Road.

Feel free to PM me if you or your BF want to discuss DC firms, etc. I’m happy to share what I know.

For many years, I lived in NOVA but kept my horses in Montgomery County, MD. Montgomery County has more open land closer to DC than NOVA - board is generally cheaper, turnout better, and there are many shows and events close by. However, I just can’t take the commute anymore, and am keeping my horses at one of the few nice facilities in McLean/Great Falls. It is full care with good turnout, but there is not easy access to trails, no indoor, my horse is turned out on 4 acres instead of 30, and board is about $300 more expensive than my old barn in MD that did have all of the above. There are Prelim/Intermediate eventers who board in this neighborhood and do fine, but they sometimes have to haul out for lessons and conditioning.

Another one to look at is Rolling Acres Farm in Brookeville, MD - they are a hunter/jumper barn (top notch) but an eventer friend of mine boards there. From what I hear turnout and care are excellent and it has a Grand Prix show jumper rider/trainer - there is also ample room and hills for conditioning. I am not sure if they would take any random person that calls, but its probably worth a look.

possible yes…easy…no. I went to law school in downtown DC. I kept my horses in Leesburg and chose to live near them…NOT in the city. I decided I was going out to the horses 7 days a week and only had to be in the city 5 days a week so it worked better to be near the horses. I had to ride at odd hours…very very early or very very late. But at least the turn out was good and there was space to gallop and hack.

good luck…but I recommend living closer to the horses not work. That is what everyone I know who has made it work did.

eta: Leesburg has changed a ton since I lived there so I do think the MD side of things would be easier. My friends in Leesburg are now heading even further out (think near West VA) to get to affordable open space…and commuting to DC from there. Trying to talk them into moving up to PA instead :wink:

Stick to the MD side of things. It would be MUCH easier for you.