Unlimited access >

Suggestions for DC area horse farms if commuting from downtown?

Hi out there. First time user of the COTH forums.

My boyfriend and I are discussing the possibility of moving to DC and that means barn shopping time. I am currently living in Cleveland, boarding out my 2 event horses and am looking to board them again in DC.

My major priority is turn out, preferably not in a group. I would ideally like them to go out setparately but next to each other. I would be ok with just the two of them going out together.

If anyone knows of anything, I would GREATLY appreciate any suggestions! Here is what I’m ideally looking for.

• Under 45 mins from the city
  • Full board - blanketing, etc. (tricky, I know...)
  • Help with turnout
  • Nice jumps - I'm trying to move my horses up to advanced so I will need proper training facilities that is mindful of the footing, access to galloping lanes where I can condition (or at least just a big enough indoor that I can make work)
  • Cross country schooling nearby would be a bonus
  • Indoor arena
  • Responsible management

Thanks so much!

It will really depend on where in the city you choose to live. Since you are moving up to advanced, I would suggest trying to live on the side that allows you access to Virginia so that you can get out to the Middleburg/Leesburg area. It will not be 45 minutes or less in traffic simply because that is how DC is unfortunately. I have a friend at Aldie Equestrian Center (I think that is the name of it) and she is pretty happy with the care there and you can trailer out for lessons.

I live on the Maryland side and I was never really happy with any of the full board situations until now, and that is because I am at a private barn owned by a former vet tech. Additionally, the majority of the coaches are in Va, so I was getting up at 3:30 am to haul my horse for lessons when I was doing Int.

You should do a search on this because the topic has come up numerous times but here are my 2 cents:
I work in DC and used to live in NW DC and you could not pay me to board in VA and live in DC although I know there are people who do it- bless them :lol: but I am also not looking to move up to advanced (just prelim) and so my needs are different. Unless you are going out to ride at off-times, it is extremely difficult to have a reasonable commute to a VA barn (i.e., under an hour) especially if you are talking the areas that are populated with upper level coaches and courses like Middleburg, Purcellville, Aldie and Leesburg. But that area is the mecca with the most boarding/coaching options for eventers and so may be where you need to go.
Do you need an UL instructor on the property?
If so, I think Waredaca would be the only one within an hour of downtown DC during the week that I know of (takes me 50 minutes in non-rush hour or tail end of rush hour to get there from NW DC and 35 minutes from very north NW DC in non-rush hour to get there). Waredaca is well run, has xc course on the property, nice people and UL instructors but only group turn out and a wait list.
Otherwise if you need an UL instructor of quality who I would rely on to move me up to advanced (i.e. someone with a clue), I think you may have to resign yourself to hauling your butt out to Middleburg, Aldie, Purcellville area and spending a lot of time in your car. There are a few UL instructors in MD only a bit further than Waredaca, but none that I can think of that I would trust for training me at the advanced level but that is just my opinion.
Juts my 2 cents.
If you do not need an UL instructor on the property, you have more options both in MD and a little closer in in VA.

Deana Vaughn’s facility in Aldie, VA (Tailwind Farm) is a serious eventing barn, concentrating on adult, competitive event riders. The care is outstanding, but I think you need to stay in some sort of training to board. You might contact her about her place or a recommendation.

Consider living in Va and using metro or the train to get into work.

I don’t need an instructor on grounds. I know all about everyone in Purcelville/Middleburg, etc. and was hoping to just board somewhere closer into the city and haul out to them for lesson.

Oh, believe me, I’ve searched and googled my brains out. Copy pasting every farm address I can find to see how far out of the city it is.

I guess my question is: Is it possible to live in downtown DC and still ride? Keep in mind I’m use to a 30-40 minutes drive and a full time job with 2 upper level horses.

I will check up on the couple that were suggested!

Ever hear of this Millhaven farm?

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

One last thing…

Is there a difference between the MD and VA side as far as commute/the quality of farms goes?

This city is waayy over populated in every direction so no matter where you try to go it is going to be a trek. You could try and find a place in Poolesville in Montgomery County, but I never had that much luck finding anything there. Even then there is really only one way in and one way out.

I drive from suburban maryland to another part of suburban maryland every day for work and it takes me over an hour on the beltway.

I was actively campaigning one horse at the Int/** level and had a full time job and it was doable, but I rode at funky hours. When my horse was in middleburg at my coaches farm, I lived in Fairfax and would get up at 4 am and ride before work. When I kept my horse in Maryland (25 minutes away from me) I would ride/gallop at 5 am and then 2xs per week I would do the 3 am trailer to middleburg thing. Sometimes he would stay overnight there and I would get 2 days worth of lessons, shower there and go to work.

The only way to do it is to do it in off hours, either through job flexibility or just getting up super early and getting it done that way.

I would not recommend Millhaven for a serious eventer or frankly any eventer. If you want to know more, you can PM me.
In that same area, you might want to check out Taylor Made- used to be mainly a foxhunting barn but now has a hodge podge.
Evergreen is primarily a dressage facility but good care and close enough to haul to Waredaca or a couple of the other places that VA UL eventers come regularly to teahc at (i.e. Sharon White comes every couple of weeks to to do jumping lessons at Reddemeade and also at A Bit Better). I would not recommend Reddemeade for a serious eventer and A Bit Better is full with a waiting list that is likely to be very long because it is small and all the current boarders love it there.
Windsor Manor- primarily dressage facility, conveniently located, well run. has jumps on the property- easy trailte ride to Waredaca.
Periwinkle- small, dressage focused facility that has jumps on the property. Easy trailer ride to Waredaca area and could hack to Reddemeade.
I am mentioning several dressage facilities because they are more likely to be amenable to your individual turn out preference.
Brooke Grove Farm is a good place (hold a nice local HT there and are the base for Redland PC) but I do not think they have the services you are looking for (definitely no individual turn out and don’t do things like bring in for farrier during the day).
When you ask about difference in commute to for VA and MD- do you mean to DC to work or out to the barn. I definitely think the commute out to the barn is better for MD but there are fewer high quality eventing barn choices within a decent distance of DC. In terms of commuting into the city to work- I don’t think they are very different.
I don’t know about keeping 2 UL horses going, but I have an extremely demanding job and a much more than 40 hour work week and I ride anywhere form 4-6 times a week and the weeks where it is only 4 that is because of work. I personally cannot keep 2 horses going but again that is because of work and not logistics of riding and boarding. I actually think it is easier to get out to nice farm areas in the DC area than any other major city I have lived in (Boston, Atlanta, Philly).

You could try Denise Rath. Her place is in Great Falls. I don’t know if she boards other people’s horses, but you might just ask. Other than her, there is Packy McGowan’s place, which is a fair drive from DC up 270. But he does it every day (he is a lawyer now and works in DC). His Mom is a dressage trainer too.

I would recommend Waredaca but I don’t know if they would be able to satisfy the individual turnout thing.

Periwinkle is very nice. I boarded there for a few months several years ago. My only problem with the place was the lack of turnout. They have lots of beautiful small paddocks, but they keep them beautiful by never ever turning out if there has been a drop of rain, or if the ground is at all wet. They have some bluestone sacrifice lots that they mill the horses through … most horses are lucky to get out for an hour. They MAY have changed that though. Other than the t/o policy, the place is FABULOUS. A beautiful barn, an indoor and a very large outdoor. It is kept pristine and they take really good care of the horses. My only beef with them was t/o.

IT’S THE EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD

YOU CAN TOTALLY WORK DOWNTOWN AND COMMUTE TO VA FOR THE HORSES. I DO IT ALL THE TIME AND IT IS GREAT. IT WILL BE EVEN EASIER FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND WHO IS INCREDIBLY HOT AND NICE AND WHO HAS A BIG WEENER.

Doubt it since that was also the policy when I looked at them 6 years ago :slight_smile:

Packy’s place is a good suggestion. A long drive, but may meet your needs.

A little closer in, but not much, is Matt Flynn in Poolesville. An eventing farm and a very nice one. No doubt your turnout needs could probably be accommodated there. He has excellent jumps and gallops as well. PM me if you want more info, but I highly recommend his facility.

Yes, it’s a long drive, but no worse than any other direction (and better than going out 66, IMO). I did it for a while (downtown to Mont. Co) and it wasn’t terrible.

aww man. my horse would whinny at me somewhat hysterically when I pulled up as I was his only hope for t/o most of the time - they’d let you turn your horse out while you were there.

that was when I gave up all hope of finding a decent barn that would work for me in the dc area. I couldn’t do group t/o either with this horse.

I am in that situation now (I have to turn my horses out myself while I’m there) and it just doesn’t work for me. I need help with turn out.

So I am gathering it’s really just too difficult? It’s just really not doable to live downtown and ride? I’m not understanding if the places mentioned are close? What about living in a suburb halfway in between town and the barn? Is it too hellish to commute into town then?

I was also wondering about Matt Flynn’s place. I wasn’t sure if he had boarders though. I’ll PM you BamBam.

We are close in to DC (depending on WHERE in DC, 30-45 min), are an eventing barn with lots of hacking and good care and loads of experience in caring for eventers of all levels. Without bragging too much, I think we offer some of the best care there is within a reasonable driving distance from DC. We CAN accommodate the turn out in some way (he’d have to talk about it some and do some math), but we don’t have an indoor (lighted ring with lots of jumps). We have access to literally MILES of trails, with room for trots and some easier canter work. There is a good gallop 20 minutes away. Lots of nearby xc schooling, and we are building a small but functional schooling area over the winter and lots in the spring. And while you say you don’t need an instructor on site, but at least here you could have some help or at least some eyes on the ground at home.

I’m sure you’ve been around long enough to know that you’ve got to figure out what you can live with and what you can live without. As you’re already finding out, you might be able to find everything you need…an hour a way, or find everything you need EXCEPT xyz. Such is life in this area.

If you want a bit more info or want to chat a bit more, PM me. I do know of a place right around the corner from us, with an indoor, but I don’t know if they’d accomadate the turn out issues and the care isn’t good enough for upper level horses (I think, personally).

PS- The boss does trailer too Leesburg and Middleburg for lessons, so we can combined forces and have a better team for all involved!

All of the places I mentioned are under an hour during semi-normal traffic from NW DC. With the exception of Taylor Made, they are all close to DC than Waredaca.
When I say NW DC, that covers a huge hunk of where most businesses are in DC.
As to your second question- if you live near a metro stop, commuting into DC can be relatively painless.
I currently live in Bethesda and work in Georgetown- commute to work and barn is very doable.

I think this about sums it up