Unlimited access >

Suggestions for hunter jumper barns in the Seattle area?

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for hunter jumper barns near Seattle that may be a good fit for me. I rode in the C and B Circuit in Michigan in grade school…jumping 3’ by the time I went to college. In college I did IHSA and inconsistently took lessons, never jumping over 2’3". I am now in graduate school in Seattle and have not taken lessons in about 2 years, but would like to start up again soon.

I’ll be looking to start with once weekly lessons but a partial lease in the future is definitely a possibility. I’m not interested in showing much, but could see myself doing a schooling show or two. Basically I’m looking for a good place for an adult hunter jumper rider that is not interested in being competitive, but is interested in advancing my riding.

I live in Capitol Hill in Seattle and realize that this will involve some driving. Ideally, I’d like to keep the commute around 30 or 40 minutes (in decent traffic). I’m willing to explore a range of prices to find a good fit.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Arianna

Living on Capitol Hill, you’re in a good spot to get to the east side. There are several that will probably meet your needs.

I would suggest Legacy’s riding school - located just across the 520 bridge at Evergreen Equs. Center on Bridle Trails State Park. They do a very good job, and have really lovely school horses. That’s probably the shortest commute for you.

Teri Duplass and Pheonix Farms are a ways further out in the woodinville area, and she has an excellent intermediate range lesson programs that goes to the local shows. Her students always do well, and are thoroughly grounded in the basics.

Heidi Snider (Hillcrest Stables) in Woodinville is a high end barn that provides lovely horses, great instruction, and a really nice, friendly atmosphere.

Farther up north in the Stanwood area (about an hour - but worth the drive!) is Crest View Equestrian and Kylie Forst. (Previously Collinswood & Sally Collins). Sally is still involved, but former assistant trainer Kylie is now running the program. She focuses on teaching, and really working with an individual on their specific riding needs and goals. She’ll go to shows if clients want that, but is really focused on producing a knowledgeable horseman.

Shannon Hendrickson at Signature West is probably about an hour south of you, and like Kylie Forst, has an excellent program that focuses on the individual.

Each of these provides a different atmosphere and focus, and all have great reputations. There are also many more that are very good, and I’m sure you will get many more recommendations as there are many COTHers in the area.

(Full disclosure :slight_smile: - I’ve ridden with both Legacy and Collinswood/Crest View and have been very happy at both and could highly recommend.)

Phoenix Farm for sure! I was in the same sort of situation as you when I went looking for a new barn, and Phoenix has been great. It’s not a fancy show barn, it’s down-to-earth, low gossip, and lessons with Teri are great–lots of focus on riding correctly. We do some schooling shows, but it’s a no-pressure sort of deal, and they’re all close by. Location of the barn is great, right off of 522, depending on traffic should be about half hour, so not bad. Best bang for your buck, for sure–the problem with taking lessons at the fancy show barns is that it sure digs a hole in your bank account! I have been very happy with Phoenix and Teri. PM me if you want further details! :slight_smile:

PS Rumor has it Evergreen Equestrian Center is sold, and will most likely be turned into a housing development, so I imagine the Legacy school program won’t be there for much longer. :cry:

Hang Time Hunters and Jumpers off 15 has lesson horses, trail riding and the option of AA shows or local shows. Lauren Crawford is the trainer. Probable exactly what you are looking for but it will take you 60 minutes of freeway travel to get there. PM me if you want phone number. Good luck in your search.

Definitely check out Farpoint farm in snohomish. Denise is wonderful! She runs a great program with many opportunities for any lever rider.

Oh, yes, Farpoint! Denise is great. Lovely atmosphere there.

Shadowdanser - I did know Evergreen was sold, but nothing has happened yet. If it closes, I’m sure the riding school will just relocate to the main facility in Woodinville.

Kim Gard at Strides LLC is another great program, but it’s way up in the Mt Vernon area, so quite a bit further north.

There are links at the WSHJA website, or you can PM me. Lots of good people out here.

[QUOTE=Thoroughbred1201;7386939]
Living on Capitol Hill, you’re in a good spot to get to the east side. There are several that will probably meet your needs.

I would suggest Legacy’s riding school - located just across the 520 bridge at Evergreen Equs. Center on Bridle Trails State Park. They do a very good job, and have really lovely school horses. That’s probably the shortest commute for you.

Teri Duplass and Pheonix Farms are a ways further out in the woodinville area, and she has an excellent intermediate range lesson programs that goes to the local shows. Her students always do well, and are thoroughly grounded in the basics.

Heidi Snider (Hillcrest Stables) in Woodinville is a high end barn that provides lovely horses, great instruction, and a really nice, friendly atmosphere.

Farther up north in the Stanwood area (about an hour - but worth the drive!) is Crest View Equestrian and Kylie Forst. (Previously Collinswood & Sally Collins). Sally is still involved, but former assistant trainer Kylie is now running the program. She focuses on teaching, and really working with an individual on their specific riding needs and goals. She’ll go to shows if clients want that, but is really focused on producing a knowledgeable horseman.

Shannon Hendrickson at Signature West is probably about an hour south of you, and like Kylie Forst, has an excellent program that focuses on the individual.

Each of these provides a different atmosphere and focus, and all have great reputations. There are also many more that are very good, and I’m sure you will get many more recommendations as there are many COTHers in the area.

(Full disclosure :slight_smile: - I’ve ridden with both Legacy and Collinswood/Crest View and have been very happy at both and could highly recommend.)[/QUOTE]

How exciting for Kylie! Glad to see she is growing her business :slight_smile:

Legacy Hunters & Jumpers does have a wonderful school program as well as a phenomenal training program. Shelly Kerron is one of the most respected horsewomen in the business. I’d highly recommend checking them out!

Rumor has it Evergreen Equestrian Center is sold, and will most likely be turned into a housing development

:frowning: :no: :frowning:

Not trying to take over your tread, but since there are lot’s of WA’s posting on here, I thought I would ask. Can someone who frequents shows in WA and OR by the names of Pacific NW HJ, Oregon High Desert, Evergreen, Gold Creek series, ect please PM me? Looking for info on a horse. I know the name, trainer’s name, barn, owner, just don’t want to post it on here. Thank you!

Thank you all for your input! I will definitely look into these options and PM you if I have any specific questions.

[QUOTE=rb2001;7396331]
Legacy Hunters & Jumpers does have a wonderful school program as well as a phenomenal training program. Shelly Kerron is one of the most respected horsewomen in the business. I’d highly recommend checking them out![/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Shelly and Betsy give incredible lessons. But the OP sounds like she’s looking for more the riding school level, especially financially. Legacy is wonderful, but it is pricey, and is really geared towards serious showing. The riding school gives a terrific level of teaching and prep, but at a lower price point. They offer leases and great lessons, so it fits right into her goals.

Shelly will occasionally give a clinic to the riding school as well, and if that is offered, I’d highly recommend taking part.

[QUOTE=Thoroughbred1201;7389123]

Kim Gard at Strides LLC is another great program, but it’s way up in the Mt Vernon area, so quite a bit further north.[/QUOTE]

Just chiming in to say that I LOVE Kim. My gelding is up with one of her students on lease and she is fantastic. That said, Mt. Vernon is a long, long way.

Another vote for Kylie Forst and Sally Collins!

Ask away

[QUOTE=costco_muffins;7402795]
Just chiming in to say that I LOVE Kim. My gelding is up with one of her students on lease and she is fantastic. That said, Mt. Vernon is a long, long way.[/QUOTE]

Hey now :lol:

[QUOTE=TheJenners;7580994]
Hey now :lol:[/QUOTE]

It is a long way! I am excited to see you in two weeks :slight_smile:

Yeah but we aren’t, like, hanging off the edge of the planet or anything!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you just wanna see the Evil Burrito! Don’t lie :slight_smile: