Unlimited access >

Suggestions on H/J cross for a Selle Francais mare?

I have two foals out of my retired A/O mare (retired due to injury, not age) and am looking for stallion ideas for another foal. Both of her current offspring are by Apiro. Will not be this breeding season, but next. Mare is 16.2+ by Galatois out of a TB mare. Great mover, decent jumper but could be improved. Mare has great personality, but I would want a laid-back, ammy friendly stallion to pair with her. Thanks in advance!

Full pedigree: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?d=oohlala&sex=f&color=&dog_breed=any&birthyear=&birthland=

Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Lola

Please check out Amazing…he’s a fabulous jumper and very laid back. Lots of pictures on the website, and several videos on his FB page showing his personality. He’s the best horse on my farm :slight_smile:

Loved Galatois! In fact, I used to own an approved selle francais TB mare that was bred to him. I have a SF mare out of that TB mare that was bred to C. Quito. The resulting filly is is approved BWP and won the USEF zone for 2 yr. old breeding. Dead quiet, athletic, fancy, and easy enough to be shown by an older amateur.

Cunningham is probably my favorite hunter stallion out there.

A little outside of the box maybe, I’m not sure if he has many hunters on the ground, but what about Navarone? My Jr. Hunter was by Jus de Pomme and I’ve always really liked him. Would cross well with French and TB lines, I think.

Also somewhat outside the box, but I have a four year old filly by King de Coquerie (Voltaire/Quidam), who might tick some of your boxes. King has a lovely temperament and packed his adult amateur mother very well, after being a jumper in Europe and a high performance hunter with Tammy Provost. My four year old has a lovely temperament and was second on the line at the Sallie Wheeler as a two year old. The stallion stands at JumpStart Farm with Saret and Jean Yves Tola. :slight_smile:

C. Quito has been gelded, so would be frozen only. I don’t know if that matters to you. I love Mrs. Oare’s C. Quito filly.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I love C. Quito. My mare took with frozen her first foal and fresh cooled the second. Both on the first try, so I am not too worried about frozen. Any suggestions on finding frozen C. Quito in the US?

Cunningham was an original choice of mine, but I worry about having a monster foal. My mare is just under 16.3 and has large foals. Both Cunningham and King de Coquerie are over 17.0 and I worry about size. Thoughts or experience on foal sizes from him?

Horsechick - I wanted to thank you for suggesting Amazing. I am pretty new to breeding (with only two foals on the ground) but have seen quite a few of his offspring that I love. I wanted to get your opinion on having Galoubet A on both the sire and dam sides. In your experience, how close can generations be with the same bloodlines before it is considered inbreeding? I have strayed from choosing a stud by Baloubet de Rouet for this reason in the past!

Thanks so much!

[QUOTE=Fourbays;8665322]

I love C. Quito. My mare took with frozen her first foal and fresh cooled the second. Both on the first try, so I am not too worried about frozen. Any suggestions on finding frozen C. Quito in the US?

Cunningham was an original choice of mine, but I worry about having a monster foal. My mare is just under 16.3 and has large foals. Both Cunningham and King de Coquerie are over 17.0 and I worry about size. Thoughts or experience on foal sizes from him?[/QUOTE]

I’ll send you a PM - I work with the BWP/NAD and may be able to help you out with your C.Quito inquiry.

[QUOTE=Fourbays;8665322]

Cunningham was an original choice of mine, but I worry about having a monster foal. My mare is just under 16.3 and has large foals. Both Cunningham and King de Coquerie are over 17.0 and I worry about size. Thoughts or experience on foal sizes from him?[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM re: C.Quito

I believe there is C.Quito semen readily available in the US. Contact Jessie Lang on his website.

I love my Quito 4yo gelding. Incredibly balanced.

Crown Affair. My Crown Affair yearling colt out of a Rio Grande mare is amazing. I now have a SF mare by Diamant de Semilly and would breed her to Crown in a heartbeat. At our barn we also have a Cunningham black dot we are very excited about out of the same Rio Grande mare I bred to Crown Affair. It will be interesting to see the babies side by side!