Unlimited access >

Suggestions on who to breed to my mare?

I am wanting to breed my TB mare to a warmblood stallion and don’t know where to start! I am looking to get a possible upper level event horse and any suggestions would be appreciated!! Here is her pedigree:
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=9130015

Thanks in advance!!

Do you want full TB? What is your mare’s type? Conformation? Has the mare itself shown aptitude for eventing? On paper, I wouldn’t immediately jump to her having a particularly powerful pedigree, though she does have some names further back that don’t hurt.

I would prefer a warmblood cross not a full tb. The mare is 16.3 hands, uphill build, big moving mare. She is a big build, very thick and very correct. I started her eventing last year and she pretty much won everything I showed in. I am pregnant now and giving her this year off so looking to breed her and then continue competing her later.

I actually prefer this mare’s dam’s pedigree over her sire’s, although I did like Chief Bearhart when he was running (he was also out of Amelia Bearhart).

KWPN will take a TB mare without inspection. It can be difficult to get a TB mare approved AHS. The remainder (GOV, RPSI, OldNA/ISR, AHHA, BWP) require inspection but are less strict.

Buddenbrock…

I adore Tatendrang! Expecting one by him next year out of my TB/Old mare and couldn’t be more excited! Hoping for a filly to keep! Also love Ehrentanz KD. I have one on the ground by him this year and am very pleased with my little guy, build, movement, and personality. I’d love to breed back to him with the same mare-full TB, and I’d hope for a filly to keep from that match too!

Both of these owners/managers have been delightful to work with. And both guys got 12-13 year old maidens pregnant in 1 try.

I wonder if any eventer’s are breeding to flexible. It get’s you the Cruising bloodline that has done so well in Eventing and well he clearly has tons of jump. I have a friend who’s been breeding to him, and who has a broodmare by him, and I think she is very happy with her youngsters.

[QUOTE=Anne;8658934]
I actually prefer this mare’s dam’s pedigree over her sire’s, although I did like Chief Bearhart when he was running (he was also out of Amelia Bearhart).

KWPN will take a TB mare without inspection. It can be difficult to get a TB mare approved AHS. The remainder (GOV, RPSI, OldNA/ISR, AHHA, BWP) require inspection but are less strict.[/QUOTE]

From a sport perspective, I much prefer the sire side… Not many names up close dam-side that have produced any UL sport horses as of late. Farther back you have some very desirable names and linebreeding to Pocahontas – there is Dr Fager, but that is far back and not really a strong enough influence to make me think this mare screams UL potential. Storm Cat happens to be a favorite of mine for hyper-athletic LL prospects, but the world is teeming with them and I’m not sure I would breed an SC mare unless she really was special. From pedigree alone I’d guess she’d need some improvements in the trot and walk, and possibly improvements in the hindquarters. OP, got pictures?

Of the suggestions, Buddenbrock has been a tried and true for nice LL horses. Tatendrang may give you a little more spice but IMHO I really like the TBx I’ve seen by him.

[QUOTE=Graystone;8658645]
I would prefer a warmblood cross not a full tb. The mare is 16.3 hands, uphill build, big moving mare. She is a big build, very thick and very correct. I started her eventing last year and she pretty much won everything I showed in. I am pregnant now and giving her this year off so looking to breed her and then continue competing her later.[/QUOTE]

OP your mare sounds lovely - I love all her Bold Ruler/Nasrullah blood.
The stallion I chose for my full TB A Fine Romance daughter is VDL Windsor H who is by Indoctro out of an Ahorn mare.
He is competes in the jumpers with his AA owner, has superb conformation, temperament, and that outstanding pedigree, and is a lovely modern type.
He is also a half brother to a winning GP jumper and to an Advanced eventer.
I could not be happier with the resulting foal.
He is very TB in phenotype, elegant, incredibly athletic, beautiful, and moves like he is on springs.
VDL Windsor has a FB page, and is located in Ontario. Excellent semen.

Nice choice ^^^

If you are looking to event, but don’t need a specific ‘dressage’ horse,
a look at the Irish horses might fit.

In Hong Kong in 2008, 7 out of the top 15 horses in the event were Irish bred.

I like to think of stallions that have actually produced an advanced eventer, if that is what I was looking for.

http://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/2014/12/the-trakehners-fight-back-part-1/

[QUOTE=Fred;8659820]
OP your mare sounds lovely - I love all her Bold Ruler/Nasrullah blood.
The stallion I chose for my full TB A Fine Romance daughter is VDL Windsor H who is by Indoctro out of an Ahorn mare.
He is competes in the jumpers with his AA owner, has superb conformation, temperament, and that outstanding pedigree, and is a lovely modern type.
He is also a half brother to a winning GP jumper and to an Advanced eventer.
I could not be happier with the resulting foal.
He is very TB in phenotype, elegant, incredibly athletic, beautiful, and moves like he is on springs.
VDL Windsor has a FB page, and is located in Ontario. Excellent semen.[/QUOTE]

All the Windsor babies I’ve worked with are also very brave, which essential for an eventing prospect.