Suggestions to make money as a junior

Only on COTH would such an impressive educational background and job be described as giving something all up :wink:

29 Likes

how cool is she! and wicked smart

4 Likes

Iā€™m reading this and thinking what a loss to the world it would have been if Reed Kessler had remained ā€œjustā€ a rider and/or trainer. As good as she is in the saddle, her life and career now can have real impact.

24 Likes

Did she ever have the desire though? I donā€™t mean that as a snide comment. But there are plenty of very, very talented junior and amateurs who have no desire to make it their career. If it isnā€™t what she wanted, the rest doesnā€™t really matter.

6 Likes

I know there was press coverage of the farm she bought in the Netherlands, I believe, so I think she was trying to make a go of it. She had several syndicate-owned horses.

From 2015

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/ringside-chat-reed-kessler-putting-down-roots-europe/

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

It kind of looks to me like she did a reset after realizing she wanted a different kind of life. She went back to school in 2018, so age 23.

https://www.sipa.columbia.edu/admissions-blog/second-acts-its-never-too-late-to-go-back-to-school

4 Likes

Ah, that makes sense!

Thanks for the context. So happy for her sheā€™s found her calling!

2 Likes

It just occurred to me how very, very proud her parents must be of her. It takes an immense amount of moral character and a pretty high level of maturity for someone - esp. a young person - to give up a life of ā€œplaying with horsesā€ and the kind of accolades she was used to, to instead pursue a high level of education and then dedicate their life to serving mankind via working in public policy. Kudos to her.

15 Likes

Ummm color me shocked that a billionaireā€™s daughter would go to work for a conservative think tank. Donā€™t get me wrong, good for her for finding a career for herself. But I wouldnā€™t exactly rush to applaud her ā€œreal impact.ā€ I guess like the rest of America, Iā€™m still waiting on the benefits of all that ā€œreal impactā€ to ā€œtrickle down.ā€

31 Likes

Yeppppppp. Glad Iā€™m not the only one who clocked that.

4 Likes

Gee, for all we know, she may be trying to bring a more progressive outlook to the organization. But really, maybe we should leave politics out of the discussion. The point is that Reed is doing something far more altruistic with her life than playing with horses.

14 Likes

ā€œBefore joining the Institute, Reed served in the Department of State at the U.S. Mission to the United Nations in the Political Section and at the Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations in the Negotiations Support Unit. She also worked in the U.S. Foreign Policy Program at the Council on Foreign Relations, where she assisted Ambassador Robert Blackwill with the research and writing of his upcoming book on U.S. grand strategy in collaboration with CNAS CEO Richard Fontaine. Reed also brings multilateral experience from the UN Operations and Crisis Centre and the UN Refugee Agency.ā€

If the worst that can be said about her is that sheā€™s conservative, I think sheā€™s doing pretty well.

My opinion stands. A young person whose choices in life are limitless is choosing to pursue a career with a wide reach.

25 Likes

The UN isnā€™t exactly a bastion of conservatism. I am not a Republican but I wish her well.

6 Likes

Neither is the CFR, which is another place sheā€™s listed as working. I donā€™t know where she sits on the political spectrum personally, but as someone with two decades working in DC, I can say there are folks on different areas of the spectrum working in places you wouldnā€™t always expect.

Reed now has a good education, and what looks like a good career ahead of her in a location that would allow her to pick back up riding if she ever wants to. Plenty of us working ammys around town :slight_smile:

12 Likes

As we know, lots of top junior riders come from money. As we also know, moneyed families also prize education and if the kids have ability they often find strong niches in the decision making structures of the nation. I know nothing about her family but I wouldnā€™t be surprised to hear she comes from a clan of maybe lawyers or diplomats or etc.

As I read this story, she was able to progress beyond most of our wildest dreams as a top junior and youngest member of the Olympic team. That takes very hard work and talent in addition to the cash. Then she tries out being a horse pro. And as we know, being a pro means sidelining some of your own goals to help your paying clients. It also means figuring out how to turn a profit from all your horses, which I myself might find draining.

Anyhow clearly she also has the academic, social, interpersonal and intellectual skills to get into the policy and decision making establishment. I donā€™t much care where her politics are, I still admire the work ethic and talent this shows.

Anyhow I can totally see if you got to the top of your sport at 22, you might be looking for a new career challenge and path if you had the resources. Maybe this was her general plan in her early teens, and she just had such outsize success that she rode that success into her early 20s. Many many juniors at that level ride up through the medals, then go on to university and a good career and ammie status if they stay in horses.

2 Likes

Um, no.

2 Likes

Ok well even more props to her for what sheā€™s accomplished!

Her father was discussed here when he became president of USEF. He has corporate leadership experience in industries such as pharma and tobacco. Perhaps requiring its own kind of diplomacyā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure altruistic is the right word. Genuinely not trying to be snarky, but Iā€™d bet she is making more money working for a well-funded DC thinktank than she was as a pro.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t call this level of NGO or government service altruistic. I would say that itā€™s an admirable high level career progression, that itā€™s going to be very well paid, and that it will give you lots of access and mobility in the future. Itā€™s not remotely comparable to being a horse pro.

I would assume that she felt she got to the limit on horses quite young, and wanted another challenge.

2 Likes